the 1996 - 97 IU team

On paper, this could have been a team for the ages.  Two 7 footers, plus a 6 ' 10". 

Size.  Slashers.  Shooters.  Role players.  With Bob Knight as coach. 

I believe Miller, Reed, Collier, and Patterson all had various All American honors in high school.  AJ Guyton went on to score 2100 points at IU.

After a great start and being ranked as high as 8th in the country, IU went 9 - 9 in conference, and lost by 18 points in the first round of the NCAA. 

Posting this today as we look at potential recruits now, and project what they'll do in college.  Some people saying this player will start over that player, and so on.  We'll see.

Footnote:  Jason Collier died in 2005.  Reed in 2012.

Roster

No. Name Position Ht. Year Hometown
3 Charlie Miller F 6–7 Jr. Miami, Florida
5 Neil Reed G 6–2 Jr. Metairie, Louisiana
12 Luke Jimenez G 6–3 Fr. Redwood Falls, Minnesota
21 Richard Mandeville C 7–1 Jr. Pasadena, California
23 Jean Paul G 6–2 Jr. Naples, Florida
24 Michael Lewis G 6–1 Fr. Jasper, Indiana
25 A.J. Guyton G 6–1 Fr. Peoria, Illinois
32 Robbie Eggers F 6–10 Jr. Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
33 Larry Richardson F 6–8 Fr. Orange Park, Florida
40 Jason Collier C 7–1 Fr. Springfield, Ohio
45 Andrae Patterson F 6–8 Jr. Abilene, Texas
55 Haris Mujezinovic C 6–9 Sr. Chicago, Illinois

A) Good lord that's a mish-mash of a roster.

B) I've been on HSN since the original Scout board, and this is the first time I've seen Jean Paul, Robbie Eggers and Haris Alphabet mentioned.

C) Lewis was the only player from Indiana, although Peoria and Ohio (Guyton and Collier) were strong areas for Knight.

Edit: If Guyton was a breakout star for scoring 2100 points, give Lewis a nod for setting the all time assists record, which stood until Yogi's senior year.

40 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

this is the first time I've seen Jean Paul, Robbie Eggers and Haris Alphabet mentioned

Going by memory, I recall Eggers as wanting to be a 6' 10" outside shooter. 

I think he was the one Knight described as a guy who would hang around the 3-point line like a trout in the weeds.

42 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

winning the preseason NIT, starting 14-1

I totally forgot about the NIT.  There was National Championship talk after Indiana destroyed #6 Duke.

INDIANA STUNS DUKE FOR NIT TITLE

Indiana (5-0) rode the career-high 39 points of junior forward Andrae Patterson to an 85-69 victory over No. 6 Duke (3-1) on Friday night in the championship game of the Preseason NIT in New York.

- Chicago Tribune, Dec 1, 1996

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

A) Good lord that's a mish-mash of a roster.

B) I've been on HSN since the original Scout board, and this is the first time I've seen Jean Paul, Robbie Eggers and Haris Alphabet mentioned.

C) Lewis was the only player from Indiana, although Peoria and Ohio (Guyton and Collier) were strong areas for Knight.

Edit: If Guyton was a breakout star for scoring 2100 points, give Lewis a nod for setting the all time assists record, which stood until Yogi's senior year.

Wasn’t Jean Paul on a football scholarship?  I think he came to play football with the understanding he could join the basketball team after the season was over. 

7 hours ago, Madison22 said:

On paper, this could have been a team for the ages.  Two 7 footers, plus a 6 ' 10". 

I believe Miller, Reed, Collier, and Patterson all had various All American honors in high school.  AJ Guyton went on to score 2100 points at IU.

After a great start and being ranked as high as 8th in the country, IU went 9 - 9 in conference, and lost by 18 points in the first round of the NCAA. 

Patterson, Reed and Collier were all Burger Boys.  Very disappointing season. Half way through the year you could tell that Collier, by his body language, had gone from a fired up kid excited to represent IU to someone that just wanted to get out of Dodge. Ranked as high as 8th in the country and then got spanked by UK by 34 points :(. Losing to Colorado, by 18, in the first game of the tourney really hurt. Hard to stomach after losing to Boston College, also by 18, in the first round the year before.

Remember that team and all those recruits well. “Charlie Miller...a Calbert Cheaney look alike...” that’s what one source said...I believe he graduated the all time leading scorer in Florida history in HS. So many awesome recruits. Just about everyone flopped.

i remember after graduation one of the guys, Charlie or Patterson said that they were TOO close of friends. That none of them ever challenged each other that they weren’t getting it done. That was a classic group of players who really preferred to win, but didn’t hate losing in the least.

7 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Remember that team and all those recruits well. “Charlie Miller...a Calbert Cheaney look alike...” that’s what one source said...I believe he graduated the all time leading scorer in Florida history in HS. So many awesome recruits. Just about everyone flopped.

i remember after graduation one of the guys, Charlie or Patterson said that they were TOO close of friends. That none of them ever challenged each other that they weren’t getting it done. That was a classic group of players who really preferred to win, but didn’t hate losing in the least.

I started in the fall of 94 with those guys. Played ball at the HYPER with them, and they were super nice, just always passive in class or on the court. That class also started with Michael Hermon, who unfortunately flamed out.  Was that also the class with Rob Hodgson as well?  Just think, they could've also had Sherron Wilkerson on that team too.  Missed opportunities. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I started in the fall of 94 with those guys. Played ball at the HYPER with them, and they were super nice, just always passive in class or on the court. That class also started with Michael Hermon, who unfortunately flamed out.  Was that also the class with Rob Hodgson as well?  Just think, they could've also had Sherron Wilkerson on that team too.  Missed opportunities. 

Ah, Hodgson.  That kid was a player.

51 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Played a lot at the HPER  with many of those guys. Selfishly some of the best times of my life

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Played a lot at the HPER  with many of those guys. Selfishly some of the best times of my life

Remember a kid dunked at the HYPER in a game against Miller and Paterson where they were going about 25%. Kid went nuts like he just hit a game winner in the national title game. Miller just pointed to the "No Dunking" sign, then hit about 7 in a row from deep.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Remember a kid dunked at the HYPER in a game against Miller and Paterson where they were going about 25%. Kid went nuts like he just hit a game winner in the national title game. Miller just pointed to the "No Dunking" sign, then hit about 7 in a row from deep.

Those guys were so likeable as well. Had a lot of good times 

18 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Posting this today as we look at potential recruits now, and project what they'll do in college.  Some people saying this player will start over that player, and so on.  We'll see.

Footnote:  Jason Collier died in 2005.  Reed in 2012.

Roster

No. Name Position Ht. Year Hometown
3 Charlie Miller F 6–7 Jr. Miami, Florida
5 Neil Reed G 6–2 Jr. Metairie, Louisiana
12 Luke Jimenez G 6–3 Fr. Redwood Falls, Minnesota
21 Richard Mandeville C 7–1 Jr. Pasadena, California
23 Jean Paul G 6–2 Jr. Naples, Florida
24 Michael Lewis G 6–1 Fr. Jasper, Indiana
25 A.J. Guyton G 6–1 Fr. Peoria, Illinois
32 Robbie Eggers F 6–10 Jr. Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
33 Larry Richardson F 6–8 Fr. Orange Park, Florida
40 Jason Collier C 7–1 Fr. Springfield, Ohio
45 Andrae Patterson F 6–8 Jr. Abilene, Texas
55 Haris Mujezinovic C 6–9 Sr. Chicago, Illinois

If I remember correctly about a year or so before this team was when Knight started recruiting rankings instead of good players. Took him 2-3 years before he realized his error and went back to players (Fife, Hornsby, Moye,etc...).....at least that's what I always thought. 

As others pointed out. 1 Hoosier on that team. Wow. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I remember correctly about a year or so before this team was when Knight started recruiting rankings instead of good players. Took him 2-3 years before he realized his error and went back to players (Fife, Hornsby, Moye,etc...).....at least that's what I always thought. 

As others pointed out. 1 Hoosier on that team. Wow. 

Knight said something to that effect on his TV show.

And fwiw I am pretty sure Reed played some HS ball in Indiana.

Archived