Indianapolis 500

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We'll see how it plays out (for the series) but I for one always want this race finished on green. 

I'm glad it ended under green.  Just not sure it would have been red flagged if that wasn't a Penske driver sitting in 2nd.  

Adios to another wonderful month of May and Indy 500. Easily the 2nd largest attendance in memory behind the 100th. The infields starting at 2 all the way to 3 were as packed as I've ever seen.

Few other things. From Taps to National Anthem to Back Home Again and flyovers I just don't know of another sport or venue that has that type of build up. Truly incredible to be there. 

One thing on the race though. The angels were among us yesterday and especially for those people in outside 2. The tire that flew off missed everyone luckily or that would have been real bad real quick. Link below on ladies car. Boles got wind of it. Invited her down to kiss bricks and get her home.

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/motor/indianapolis-500/indy-500-fan-whose-car-was-struck-by-errant-tire-invited-to-kiss-the-bricks/531-6268d5eb-86e4-4872-aab5-2926812e8223

Hope everyone that went enjoyed it as much as we did!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Adios to another wonderful month of May and Indy 500. Easily the 2nd largest attendance in memory behind the 100th. The infields starting at 2 all the way to 3 were as packed as I've ever seen.

Few other things. From Taps to National Anthem to Back Home Again and flyovers I just don't know of another sport or venue that has that type of build up. Truly incredible to be there. 

One thing on the race though. The angels were among us yesterday and especially for those people in outside 2. The tire that flew off missed everyone luckily or that would have been real bad real quick. Link below on ladies car. Boles got wind of it. Invited her down to kiss bricks and get her home.

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/motor/indianapolis-500/indy-500-fan-whose-car-was-struck-by-errant-tire-invited-to-kiss-the-bricks/531-6268d5eb-86e4-4872-aab5-2926812e8223

Hope everyone that went enjoyed it as much as we did!

That tire situation was scary.  No way that has a happy ending if it lands in the grandstand.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

The day after the 500 is always a tough one. It’s like the day after Christmas. 

Yep...but always so good to get out there and enjoy it but sad that May 26th, 2024 can't get here soon enough. 

Big payday though for some. A church we're involved with finally got picked and they were out cleaning this morning to get money for summer camps. The things that are left behind at the track are pretty impressive honestly. 

In terms of the series I wish they would build on the momentum of the 500 and the speeds with a visit to another oval or several ovals instead of going back to road course racing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep...but always so good to get out there and enjoy it but sad that May 26th, 2024 can't get here soon enough. 

Big payday though for some. A church we're involved with finally got picked and they were out cleaning this morning to get money for summer camps. The things that are left behind at the track are pretty impressive honestly. 

In terms of the series I wish they would build on the momentum of the 500 and the speeds with a visit to another oval or several ovals instead of going back to road course racing. 

My interest in the series overall has waned as the number of ovals has decreased. IndyCar on an oval is must watch TV for me. The road and street courses I watch if I remember or DVR and make generous use of the FF button to get through. 

• Like 2

I never liked seeing the race end under yellow, but I think there needs to be a point where a red flag is no longer an option. The closer to the end, the more reckless some of the drivers become. Throwing the green and white flags simultaneously was asking for a NASCAR level incident. I'm glad everyone made it through without serious injury. And, yes, that tire thing was incredibly scary.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I never liked seeing the race end under yellow, but I think there needs to be a point where a red flag is no longer an option. The closer to the end, the more reckless some of the drivers become. Throwing the green and white flags simultaneously was asking for a NASCAR level incident. I'm glad everyone made it through without serious injury. And, yes, that tire thing was incredibly scary.

I had zero problem with the first red flag, the second two I did not like. (Although in hind sight I’m glad the third one happened to undo what the second one did.). 

I think at Indy, lap 190 needs to be the cut off for a red flag. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I had zero problem with the first red flag, the second two I did not like. (Although in hind sight I’m glad the third one happened to undo what the second one did.). 

I agree and was thinking that lap 190 might be a good cut off. I read that it took an hour to complete the last 20 laps. I didn't realize that, but it felt like a really long time.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Everything gets magnified at Indy....part of the deal I guess but I never want this race to end on yellow. If that means they do some sort of rule where they go a little Nascar and add laps or say a caution happens after lap 195 and a caution happens we'll do a 2 lap shootout or whatever. 

One of the greatest winners of all time was under caution with TK....but I still want this thing going green to the end. How they do that is up to them.

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Everything gets magnified at Indy....part of the deal I guess but I never want this race to end on yellow. If that means they do some sort of rule where they go a little Nascar and add laps or say a caution happens after lap 195 and a caution happens we'll do a 2 lap shootout or whatever. 

One of the greatest winners of all time was under caution with TK....but I still want this thing going green to the end. How they do that is up to them.

We agree on most things with Indy, but we differ here. I don’t want to see a green-white-checker like NASCAR. That’s too gimmicky for me. I don’t mind one red flag with 10+ laps to go, but the GWC is a bridge too far to cross for me. No race should exceed its scheduled distance. That’s the one modern part of NASCAR I hate. On a related note, the IndyCar forum I read and occasionally post on would spontaneously combust if that ever happened. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

We agree on most things with Indy, but we differ here. I don’t want to see a green-white-checker like NASCAR. That’s too gimmicky for me. I don’t mind one red flag with 10+ laps to go, but the GWC is a bridge too far to cross for me. No race should exceed its scheduled distance. That’s the one modern part of NASCAR I hate. On a related note, the IndyCar forum I read and occasionally post on would spontaneously combust if that ever happened. 

I don't like the GWC either. To me, they breed crashes and eventually, that will be tragic. Admittedly, I'm an old school racing fan and enjoyed the variety of cars, engines, and configurations of the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc.. Of course they were extremely dangerous machines and the drivers had virtually no protection. And, a lot of them were killed so we are in a way better place today in that respect. Those Track Forum guys scare me. However, it's one of the few places where truly inside people post with excellent content. I will say, as much as I love open wheel racing, the craziest racers I have ever seen were the Moto-GP motorcycle riders hitting 200 mph at the end of the front straight and then leaning into the turn. They seemed to defy the laws of physics.

12 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I don't like the GWC either. To me, they breed crashes and eventually, that will be tragic. Admittedly, I'm an old school racing fan and enjoyed the variety of cars, engines, and configurations of the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc.. Of course they were extremely dangerous machines and the drivers had virtually no protection. And, a lot of them were killed so we are in a way better place today in that respect. Those Track Forum guys scare me. However, it's one of the few places where truly inside people post with excellent content. I will say, as much as I love open wheel racing, the craziest racers I have ever seen were the Moto-GP motorcycle riders hitting 200 mph at the end of the front straight and then leaning into the turn. They seemed to defy the laws of physics.

I love that you knew I was talking about trackforum. Every day there is like a day after a bad loss here. Like you said though, they have legit insiders that post there. You can find out stuff there before anywhere else. After lurking there for years I finally signed up and got an account because I had to have one to see a picture posted I was interested in. I won’t be posting much though, my skin isn’t that thick. 🤣

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1

The final red flag does not happen if it's not a Penske car sitting in 2nd.  That's what I dont like about it.  And, I have all the respect in the world for the man and what he's done for racing.  But, things should not be handled differently just because he's involved.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The final red flag does not happen if it's not a Penske car sitting in 2nd.  That's what I dont like about it.  And, I have all the respect in the world for the man and what he's done for racing.  But, things should not be handled differently just because he's involved.

I don't want to think that was a factor because I want to believe that Penske has more respect for the event than that. But the optics are not good when an unprecedented decision takes place that benefits a driver from his team. I've been watching and listening since the 50's and I can't ever remember anything like what happened yesterday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Trust me. I never want the institution at 16th and Georgetown to ever be gimmicky....but I also never want this race to be finished under yellow. Somewhere right now teams are starting on next May and I'd hate to think all of that $ being spent on yellow finish.

38 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I don't want to think that was a factor because I want to believe that Penske has more respect for the event than that. But the optics are not good when an unprecedented decision takes place that benefits a driver from his team. I've been watching and listening since the 50's and I can't ever remember anything like what happened yesterday. 

Just my two cents. Penske would never allow something like that. You take the good with the bad out there. The idea that a decision was made because Penske's guy was in second is not showing the Captain or the Track the respect it deserves. Again just my two cents.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my two cents. Penske would never allow something like that. You take the good with the bad out there. The idea that a decision was made because Penske's guy was in second is not showing the Captain or the Track the respect it deserves. Again just my two cents.

I don't think that's what p. But when discretionary decisions are made like yesterday, you open the door for speculation. That's why I think there needs to be rules that govern situations like these. I think Scott Dixon may have won a couple more races if officials had handled the end of the race like yesterday. It's just the arbitrary way that played out that is questioned. If a different driver had won, probably no one would have thought much about it. However, the overall issue would remain. There needs, in my opinion, a point after which there are no more restarts. But, as my wife always reminds me when I state an opinion, "it's not all about you." 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Simon Pagenaud walks away from a terrifying crash in practice yesterday at Mid-Ohio.  The video below shows him after he got out of the car.  There is a longer video where you can hear him talking to his team on the radio, upside down in the car, immediately after the crash itself, and shows the rescue team getting him out.  But, this one shows is the best video of how horrific of a crash it was.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2