Three Point %

Asking the “wicked smaart” (movie reference), basketball people on this board...

Is three point shooting percentage going down in HS? It’s probably just me focusing on it in recruits because our team NEEDS it so bad, but it seems like a lot of the guys we recruit or talk about shoot what seems like pretty average percentages.

in HS I thought good shooters were more in the 45-48% range for threes because of the completion not being as good for them.

Is it just me or is it down?

thanks for any thoughts...

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Asking the “wicked smaart” (movie reference), basketball people on this board...

Is three point shooting percentage going down in HS? It’s probably just me focusing on it in recruits because our team NEEDS it so bad, but it seems like a lot of the guys we recruit or talk about shoot what seems like pretty average percentages.

in HS I thought good shooters were more in the 45-48% range for threes because of the completion not being as good for them.

I think a lot of high school recruits...highly ranked ones in particular...don't need to shoot 3s. High major recruits can take high schoolers to the rim every single possession. They are also probably not given too many open looks. 

1 minute ago, cohete15 said:

I think a lot of high school recruits...highly ranked ones in particular...don't need to shoot 3s. High major recruits can take high schoolers to the rim every single possession. They are also probably not given too many open looks. 

So you don’t think it’s gone down at all? I’m probably just imagining things but I’ve been following recruiting for 15 years and I think remember SO many guards and wings being able to shoot better than what I’m tending to see now.

5 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Probably need to look at shot selection as well and see what type of 3's they are shooting.  Anyone shoots better if the 3 is in rhythm and you can step into the shot off a good pass.  In high school if you are the main man you will have the ball in your hand more and you will take more off balance shots off the dribble.

Without the numbers to compare it’s just anecdotal. I do think the James Harden/Steph Curry affect of taking long 3s and off the dribble etc kids are trying stuff they just can’t do is lowering percentages among the top shooting recruits. I know what analytics say about 3s and 2s etc but to me that works among the top end elite shooters in the nba and elite college shooters...but avg college and  among even good HS kids it doesn’t hold true...too many kids not capable of shooting a 3 at a high percentage taking these shots it just isn’t efficient basketball amongst the lower level athletes. That said I don’t have the numbers to know for sure. Heck it could just be in HS when there is only one or two good players you can devise defenses to focus on just those kids (box-1) double team etc. but at higher levels and even AAU teams have too many options to just load up on one kid.

Archived