TDH reports. IU has a new walk on.

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It says he played about 13 minutes a game in the link you posted. 

Thanks PJ.  I missed that.  Still.... I like his stats.  Would be great to know a guy could come in to spell a starter, and we would not wring our hands when he chooses to shoot, or comes to the line.  Two basics that are part of BB, IMHO.  If you can do it, regardless of level of competition, and particularly at the FT stripe, well then that can help. 

In fact did not we have a walk on a few seasons back work himself all the way up  from walk on, to earning a scholly ?  Not saying this will happen with Cooper. But I like his stats. And welcome to the program.

Are we envisioning a scenario where, God forbid, a starter gets injured on a shot and fouled but cannot shoot his own free throws so Cooper comes in to sink them?

Very unlikely it happens and if he averages more than 5 minutes a game IU basketball is in big trouble.  

Happy for the kid.  Will make a solid practice player and teammate.

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Are we envisioning a scenario where, God forbid, a starter gets injured on a shot and fouled but cannot shoot his own free throws so Cooper comes in to sink them?

Very unlikely it happens and if he averages more than 5 minutes a game IU basketball is in big trouble.  

Happy for the kid.  Will make a solid practice player and teammate.

I believe the rule was changed a couple of years back.  Wherein the coach of the opposing team gets to choose the shooter in that scenario.

However, what I envisioned was Cooper coming in to spell a starter, for a short period of time. And IU fans not having to say.... OH NO !   LOL

This was my corner of the world growing up. Looking at the schedule, the three best programs they played would have been Vincennes, Wabash Valley and John A. Logan. (Aside: Vincennes was the NJCAA D1 national champion this year, and is my other alma mater in addition to IU.) This kid scored a total of 5 points in 6 games vs those 3 teams, and didn't see the court much. Looks like his season averages were bolstered by weaker opponents.

Not seeing the court vs good juco competition means the chances of him seeing the court much against D1 competition are slim.

But, if he has a good 3 point shot, he can serve one important purpose: simulating Bohannon/etc in practice.

11 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This was my corner of the world growing up. Looking at the schedule, the three best programs they played would have been Vincennes, Wabash Valley and John A. Logan. (Aside: Vincennes was the NJCAA D1 national champion this year, and is my other alma mater in addition to IU.) This kid scored a total of 5 points in 6 games vs those 3 teams, and didn't see the court much. Looks like his season averages were bolstered by weaker opponents.

Not seeing the court vs good juco competition means the chances of him seeing the court much against D1 competition are slim.

But, if he has a good 3 point shot, he can serve one important purpose: simulating Bohannon/etc in practice.

Great insight.  Not as much as he can bring during a game.  But what he can bring, in practice. Defending a guy who can shoot the rock.

13 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

if he can simulate bohannon he will be a starter. lol

23 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

This was one of my favorite roles growing up in HS...playing opposing teams best shooter against our starters. All I had to do was get the shot up and if it hit the rim it counted.....funny thing was I would have some of my best shooting performances because I didn’t feel any pressure lol. Great practices are crucial to winning...and I pride myself that I would push my teammates and play them harder in practice than they would see in a game. I’d watch game tape and try to imitate right down to how they shot free throws. Anyways good luck to Cooper.

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This was one of my favorite roles growing up in HS...playing opposing teams best shooter against our starters. All I had to do was get the shot up and if it hit the rim it counted.....funny thing was I would have some of my best shooting performances because I didn’t feel any pressure lol. Great practices are crucial to winning...and I pride myself that I would push my teammates and play them harder in practice than they would see in a game. I’d watch game tape and try to imitate right down to how they shot free throws. Anyways good luck to Cooper.

I love this post.  Shows us there is so much to the game, besides actual PT. And so many ways a member of a team, can contribute to success for his team.  Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I love this post.  Shows us there is so much to the game, besides actual PT. And so many ways a member of a team, can contribute to success for his team.  Thanks for sharing.

The energy and competitiveness in practice is one thing that I do envy about UK. They really really practice hard I’ll credit Cal that. Also they have enough elite players that they have to work their butts off to get playing time and often it translates to games. Cal this year has enough to even platoon he has so many good players. He always says with pride that at UK recruits will go up against the best in the country day in and day out in practice and it will prepare them for game day and also for the NBA where everyone is fighting for your money and your spot. I’ll credit him that and I look forward to the day when we have this program at the point where we are equally as deep.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

He always says with pride that at UK recruits will go up against the best in the country day in and day out in practice and it will prepare them for game day and also for the NBA where everyone is fighting for your money and your spot.

As much as I can't stand the rat bastard, I'll give him credit for this.  I'll give him additional credit for practicing hard day in and day out while balancing out a ton of egos. 

Giving Calamari credit for anything is counter productive in the mile mind. And nothing against members who I really respect.  However.

I'll just throw this out. Wouldn't it be easier, practice wise if a HC had a deep, deep bench in which every player is fighting for PT?  And has a legitimate chance of getting game time PT because of his practice play ? Thereby allowing  the HC to go hard in practice.  Than having to practice with players who have no chance of getting game time PT, unless the game is a blowout ?

53 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Giving Calamari credit for anything is counter productive in the mile mind. And nothing against members who I really respect.  However.

I'll just throw this out. Wouldn't it be easier, practice wise if a HC had a deep, deep bench in which every player is fighting for PT?  And has a legitimate chance of getting game time PT because of his practice play ? Thereby allowing  the HC to go hard in practice.  Than having to practice with players who have no chance of getting game time PT, unless the game is a blowout ?

You're not wrong at all, but where Calipari deserves credit is that when you have guys 8,9 and 10 that could easily be starting at most other schools and are potentially future NBA guys, it is definitely a skill to keep those guys engaged and practicing hard even when their playing time might not be what they want. 

I watched quite a few high school games featuring Cooper: This young man can flat out shoot!  Not only that but very cool to see a local player get the chance to walk on at IU.  Edgewood often times is the forgotten high school of the Bloomington area but they put out some solid athletes in various sports.  I think he will be an excellent practice player and a guy that the fans would appreciate if he ever did get a chance to play in game.

16 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I watched quite a few high school games featuring Cooper: This young man can flat out shoot!  Not only that but very cool to see a local player get the chance to walk on at IU.  Edgewood often times is the forgotten high school of the Bloomington area but they put out some solid athletes in various sports.  I think he will be an excellent practice player and a guy that the fans would appreciate if he ever did get a chance to play in game.

Thanks for the contribution.  Always good to hear from a member who has seen a player, up close and live.

If our three point shooting goes to heck as it did last year, why not bring Cooper in, when a three is needed ? If only for a minute or two.  Have a designed play where De'Ron is double teamed under the rim, and passes out to a unmanned Cooper.  De'Ron is a great passer, and has an uncanny ability at finding/knowing where the open man is. 

In fact, if was was coach, I would start working on this play, the first day of practice.

48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You're not wrong at all, but where Calipari deserves credit is that when you have guys 8,9 and 10 that could easily be starting at most other schools and are potentially future NBA guys, it is definitely a skill to keep those guys engaged and practicing hard even when their playing time might not be what they want. 

Thank you Gleas. I always defer to your knowledge of the game.  So it is good to hear you agree with my assessment. With the exception that,   I think those 8,9.10 players feel they may get game PT, because of how they practice.  Still.... hard for the mile mind to give credit to anything Calamari.   LOL

• 1 month later...

Archived