Favorite Movie/TV Character

On 7/19/2019 at 9:10 AM, Billingsley99 said:

My top 3 are

1. Doc Holliday- Val Kilmer

2. Hannibal Lecter- Anthony Hopkins

3. The Dude- Jeff Bridges

I saw some recent pictures of Val Kilmer with the hype going on around the new Top Gun.  Man, the cancer ravaged him.  

32 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

My wife and I just finished the Jack Ryan Prime series.  It was okay, but not as good as the movies you mentioned. Jim from the office was a more believable Jack Ryan than I thought he would be. 

May give it a watch then.

If you're not a fan of the books, there's no frame of reference for this, but the reviews I've read of the series, I wish they'd have just changed his name to Jack Ryan Jr. The plot lines and the level of tech stuff they seem to get into match what Jack Jr does in the most recent books.

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

May give it a watch then.

If you're not a fan of the books, there's no frame of reference for this, but the reviews I've read of the series, I wish they'd have just changed his name to Jack Ryan Jr. The plot lines and the level of tech stuff they seem to get into match what Jack Jr does in the most recent books.

I’ve never read any of his books.  I did know he did some JRJ books.  I’ve read a lot of Vince Flynn and am working my way through Daniel Silva’s Gabriel Allon books now.  I love those. 

54 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’ve never read any of his books.  I did know he did some JRJ books.  I’ve read a lot of Vince Flynn and am working my way through Daniel Silva’s Gabriel Allon books now.  I love those. 

'Silva's Gabriel Allon series is exceptional.  I've read every one of them.  He hit a lull about 9-10 books ago, but the last several have been fantastic.  This will sound weird, but Silva's writing style is so 'comfortable'  The characters are like old friends to me.  

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

'Silva's Gabriel Allon series is exceptional.  I've read every one of them.  He hit a lull about 9-10 books ago, but the last several have been fantastic.  This will sound weird, but Silva's writing style is so 'comfortable'  The characters are like old friends to me.  

I know exactly what you mean. I just finished number 15. 

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My favorite author. Just finished The New Girl. I have to slow down and enjoy the book by forcing myself to only read 2-3 chapters a night. Otherwise I zip through it so fast and then regret that I have to wait another year for his next book.

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’ve read a lot of Vince Flynn and am working my way through Daniel Silva’s Gabriel Allon books now.  I love those. 

And thank you.  I just finished up Clive Cussler's NUMA Files series (those that are on Audible anyway) and have been needing a new series.  How the hell I haven't tried any Vince Flynn to this point is beyond me.  Was a story consultant for Season 5 of 24, and lists as his literary influences: Hemingway (check), Tolkien (check), Tom Clancy (bullseye), and Robert Ludlum (inner bull). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 5:07 PM, Zlinedavid said:

Jack Ryan, although with an asterisk.  Hunt For Red October is one of my favorite movies.  Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger are both really damn good.  Sum Of All Fears is entertaining enough.  Haven't watched Shadow Recruit or the Amazon series. 

I actually prefer the Ryanverse novels to the movies, just because of the depth Tom Clancy went into.  Some of his later "original" Jack Ryan novels would require a trilogy.....each.  Executive Orders (probably my favorite) has a word count of 462K.  That's equal to all three of Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings volumes combined.  Hell, it's a 52 hour audiobook. 

Still, probably my favorite cross-media character.

Can you give me a list in order of the Jack Ryan novels? I am going to start reading them. Thank you in advance. https://www.howtoread.me/jack-ryan-reading-order/ does that order look correct? 

Archived