the unthinkable...a loss to ball st

coachv

i know it's that warm, fuzzy time of year when hope springs eternal. we all get excited from months of reading about our indiana football team. perhaps we suspend belief that every other team gets new players, coaches, locker rooms, etc., and their fans are equally optimistic. the fact is, we have won exactly 2 big ten games in each of the last two seasons. a loss tomorrow to ball st leaves the season in ruins practically before it starts. talk about pressure. only an upset of monumental proportions against ohio st would save the season. a loss to ball st likely leaves us at 1-2 after 3 games and fan apathy will return in droves. we have all seen it before. ball st has taken down iu twice this decade. just saying

16 minutes ago, coachv said:

i know it's that warm, fuzzy time of year when hope springs eternal. we all get excited from months of reading about our indiana football team. perhaps we suspend belief that every other team gets new players, coaches, locker rooms, etc., and their fans are equally optimistic. the fact is, we have won exactly 2 big ten games in each of the last two seasons. a loss tomorrow to ball st leaves the season in ruins practically before it starts. talk about pressure. only an upset of monumental proportions against ohio st would save the season. a loss to ball st likely leaves us at 1-2 after 3 games and fan apathy will return in droves. we have all seen it before. ball st has taken down iu twice this decade. just saying

Yeah...nice try bursting the balloon.  Why do you think this is a subject that would make for good discussion today??  You live under a bridge perhaps??

They could lose to Ball State . It's what you do after a loss.. IIRC,  the (Randy Walker coached?)Northwestern team that Pat Fitzgerald played on -  had actually lost to Miami of Ohio when they had their first breakout year. Aside of B1G vs MAC - has nothing to do with IU and BSU other than that is the type of resiliency a coach needs to have in their guys should they come out and have issues with cohesion , etc.. and actually lose to a team they are favored against in an opener. 

How many years did IU start 3-0 and go flat.. Too many 

I could easily deal with 0-1 if they come out smacking heads from there out.

9 hours ago, coachv said:

how old are you?

Ok...so I'm not a kid.  And yes, it would be unfortunate to lose to Ball St.  But why even bring it up at this point?  Why not enjoy the "warm and fuzzy" positive vibe most folks are feeling?  We all know IU's football story.  I just don't understand why you think anyone needs reminding?  I'm old enough to fully remember the 1967 season....Harry Gonso, Jade Butcher, John Isenbarger etc.  That team surprised a great many people...and I like hoping that maybe this year's team will too.  That's all.  Ok?

9 hours ago, coachv said:

how old are you?

What, you don't have anything to say to my reply...

Did you think I'm the kind of homer who doesn't acknowledge negative possibilities.

The last 4 years are pretty steady reminders of what could have been.How many times has IU rebuilt and had two 5-7 teams?  We can start there on what I think is different from the past already and why I believe this team's trajectory is perhaps a bit higher than has come to light so far.It didn't take me a week to figure that out either.

Now I have to admit that I prefer to interact on a bit more mutually respectful level than we started off on , but if you're going to take a condescending tone in your first ever reply to a comment i make.... as if I really only spent one week following the still relevant teams and players to IUs 2019 outcone and in Indiana's path  .....I dont care who you are.Its going to get a hot response..For a moment I almost thought you were my old Sociology teacher trying to illicit a reponse for the sake of one .I could have just ognored you but that's no fun at all now is it.

For the record and so you aren't going off mere asumptions from a brief comment any longer   .I follow IUFB year round even while you're sleeping..Not to mention the fact, I'm from an IU family and lived and competed around high level sports talent during the entirety of my growth from early childhood up through my peak.I like to think personal experience gives me a bit of insight into what unusual talent looks like.via not having saw mucb of the very best caliber.I have saw amd faced  a little bit of everything just below that including some very successful players at all levels in football amd basketball. .I HAVE saw very solid D1 and professional prospects but a couple Hoosiers right now could be legit stars and household names at any level..That is up to how they approach their dwindling time as prospects and whose hands they put their futures into to help reach their potential. .IUFB has some kids right now that are far and above anything Ive ever saw up close..I think it takes more of a man to swallow my ego and admit that despite my immense respect for my relatoves and peers who played I've never saw the kind of athlete on the same shelf as a few players  Tom Allen and Co have in the fold right now.I'm sold this staff and S&C program and xonsidering the excitement around the new facilities an opener and a game in Lucas Oil it just might be too much for a young team to handle emotionally.I just think there is enougjh leadership on this roster and that chains of succession are already driving the cture of the program as much as the coach.When the approach amounts to building a program "the right way" and the quality of the kids inherently  increases what logical reason would that provide to assume that the results would not have a higher likelihood of following suit 3 years into this tenure.Is it that you don't believe in Tom Allen as HC? Do you not think better raw matsrial leads to a better product? I love logic.I eat it for breakfast so lets have it.

Insanity is often defined as trying the same failed approach and expexcting different results. What is the same about IU's approach right now? And I dont want an ignoran commemt like "Oh they they hored Tom Allen instead of paying some multimillionaire coach likely breaking the rules and lkaying dirty to get players." Lets not pretend college football recruiting isnt a dirty game .Indiana is doing something right if they are getting their best kids ever and not breaking any rules recruiting a place like Florida for talent with decent success..You do know 25 Hoosier hail from Florida right.Do you think that may not he a bit logical to feel these kods who would likely win wherever they went in the South wouldnt come all the way up to IU if the culture and potential were same crap different era..Have you noticed what schools Indiana has beem beatong out for kids.This is kere specation on my part.Never denied any bit of that but Im speculating based on some thorough analysos and some apllication of the eye test and I watch every B1G replay .It is inexact at best to make a prediction..Do you really think the National media spends more than a week giving deep analysis to IU? I almost asked that in response but now that I've laid out my position and where I come from its fun time 

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Ok...so I'm not a kid.  And yes, it would be unfortunate to lose to Ball St.  But why even bring it up at this point?  Why not enjoy the "warm and fuzzy" positive vibe most folks are feeling?  We all know IU's football story.  I just don't understand why you think anyone needs reminding?  I'm old enough to fully remember the 1967 season....Harry Gonso, Jade Butcher, John Isenbarger etc.  That team surprised a great many people...and I like hoping that maybe this year's team will too.  That's all.  Ok?

old people call others trolls? oh.

1 hour ago, jblaz13 said:

What, you don't have anything to say to my reply...

Did you think I'm the kind of homer who doesn't acknowledge negative possibilities.

The last 4 years are pretty steady reminders of what could have been.How many times has IU rebuilt and had two 5-7 teams?  We can start there on what I think is different from the past already and why I believe this team's trajectory is perhaps a bit higher than has come to light so far.It didn't take me a week to figure that out either.

Now I have to admit that I prefer to interact on a bit more mutually respectful level than we started off on , but if you're going to take a condescending tone in your first ever reply to a comment i make.... as if I really only spent one week following the still relevant teams and players to IUs 2019 outcone and in Indiana's path  .....I dont care who you are.Its going to get a hot response..For a moment I almost thought you were my old Sociology teacher trying to illicit a reponse for the sake of one .I could have just ognored you but that's no fun at all now is it.

For the record and so you aren't going off mere asumptions from a brief comment any longer   .I follow IUFB year round even while you're sleeping..Not to mention the fact, I'm from an IU family and lived and competed around high level sports talent during the entirety of my growth from early childhood up through my peak.I like to think personal experience gives me a bit of insight into what unusual talent looks like.via not having saw mucb of the very best caliber.I have saw amd faced  a little bit of everything just below that including some very successful players at all levels in football amd basketball. .I HAVE saw very solid D1 and professional prospects but a couple Hoosiers right now could be legit stars and household names at any level..That is up to how they approach their dwindling time as prospects and whose hands they put their futures into to help reach their potential. .IUFB has some kids right now that are far and above anything Ive ever saw up close..I think it takes more of a man to swallow my ego and admit that despite my immense respect for my relatoves and peers who played I've never saw the kind of athlete on the same shelf as a few players  Tom Allen and Co have in the fold right now.I'm sold this staff and S&C program and xonsidering the excitement around the new facilities an opener and a game in Lucas Oil it just might be too much for a young team to handle emotionally.I just think there is enougjh leadership on this roster and that chains of succession are already driving the cture of the program as much as the coach.When the approach amounts to building a program "the right way" and the quality of the kids inherently  increases what logical reason would that provide to assume that the results would not have a higher likelihood of following suit 3 years into this tenure.Is it that you don't believe in Tom Allen as HC? Do you not think better raw matsrial leads to a better product? I love logic.I eat it for breakfast so lets have it.

Insanity is often defined as trying the same failed approach and expexcting different results. What is the same about IU's approach right now? And I dont want an ignoran commemt like "Oh they they hored Tom Allen instead of paying some multimillionaire coach likely breaking the rules and lkaying dirty to get players." Lets not pretend college football recruiting isnt a dirty game .Indiana is doing something right if they are getting their best kids ever and not breaking any rules recruiting a place like Florida for talent with decent success..You do know 25 Hoosier hail from Florida right.Do you think that may not he a bit logical to feel these kods who would likely win wherever they went in the South wouldnt come all the way up to IU if the culture and potential were same crap different era..Have you noticed what schools Indiana has beem beatong out for kids.This is kere specation on my part.Never denied any bit of that but Im speculating based on some thorough analysos and some apllication of the eye test and I watch every B1G replay .It is inexact at best to make a prediction..Do you really think the National media spends more than a week giving deep analysis to IU? I almost asked that in response but now that I've laid out my position and where I come from its fun time 

i'm confused. did i make a comment tot you?

6 minutes ago, coachv said:

i'm confused. did i make a comment tot you?

I predicted IU at 9-3...and yes...It is in the record prediction thread..I cam handle anyone disagreeong I just thought it came off a bit dismissive - from my end reading your response.I replied there too and maybe took it a bit personal last night.Beer is good for that and apologies if you meant nothing by it, other than simply disagreeing,No issue with dissenting opinions on IUFB at all on my end.I take it a little to heart since I have loved ones who have donned the cream and crimson.

.I also love to attempt to back up my perspective of IUFB and I saw an opening.

Archived