Ten Best IU Football Seasons Ever

Great job TDH.  So glad you mentioned Gary's Taliferro. I was a youngster, when he plied his multiple talents at IU.  But was a legend in Gary, as I grew up, and he moved to expand his abilities, in the pros.

Also. Was a student at IU during the Rose Bowl year.  There was a billboard on 37 going North out of B-town during the season.  That showed the number of wins, as they progressed, with the caption.... Keep the Ball Rolling. Which was a popular song at the time.  I would drive out after every win... just to make sure they updated that billboard. And they never missed a lick.

Punt, John, Punt !  A phrase his mom initiated.  Though many in the crowd offered up the chant. I was never one.  Always wanting Isenbarger to do his magic.

PUNT, JOHN, PUNT! | Vault

Again.  Great job TDH. 

Maybe because it's the most recent, but I can still feel the emotion of the 2007 season.

Keep this in mind: Terry Hoeppner only coached here for 2 seasons. He has a losing record. And yet he is one of the most beloved figures (arguably) in IU athletics. His passion and his belief was so strong that it still permeates the program today.  We were lucky to have him for the little time we did.

You did just fine on ranking the the years I've been around that appeared on your top 10 , IMO.

Growing up I never felt the audacity to disagree with any opinion or comparison of recent IU teams and any before 1986 - especially not with the older people in my family who knew and had lived to see a lot more IU Football than I had/have ..A few actually saw 1945 and 1967,plus either  grew up around or remained friends with several of the stars from both..Not once has anyone I've ever known disputed those as the two best in that order.

I'll just say I'd debate anyone about my lifetime IF I disagreed with them about anything..  I don't see much to disagree with you on at all in that context when looking deeper into those teams I actually watched and how their seasons unfolded respectively..Bottom line is wins, and this is a fair perspective on where successful seasons recognized as including IU's  most wins and years including many of IU's biggest wins.Good consideration you gave to the respective schedule toughness ,key players,etc. Respect out for your priority placed on 11 or fewer -game seasons ,over 12 game seasons also.Speaks volumes about the entirety of program history that even your #10 - 2007- ended in a bowl loss.Also how 1991 was the last bowl win...

Never met anyone alive in 1910 to interrogate, nor studied IUFB that far back myself, admittedly, so I'll have to take your word for it's standing on your list. 

10 best ever is actually a nice fairly clear all time cutoff line between memorable and mostly forgettable seasons. 

Even any top 15 it gets into too many 5-6 and 5-7 teams in consideration to count at sone point.

Considering how many of those might have actually been better than some of this top 10 but barely fell short it gets too murky to lay out a good case to take anything you have here off.  I could make a case for the 2015 team but what they could have done and what they did(not do) - have a winning season nor beat multiple  ranked teams- , are clear enough grounds for separation below other teams of the past that also won only 6 games.Even if The Kick Was Good.

.It's just easier to make them and 2016 #'s 11 and 12th best IUFB teams ever .Solved! Lol VT blasted the 1992 team so badly out of the Independence Bowl that it became independent from anyone's top 10.

Thanks for the share too

1 hour ago, jblaz13 said:

10 best ever is actually a nice fairly clear all time cutoff line between memorable and mostly forgettable seasons. 

Even any top 15 it gets into too many 5-6 and 5-7 teams in consideration to count at sone point.

Yeah, admittedly there weren't all that many to choose from!!  I wondered what it would be like to prepare the list for say an Alabama or Ohio State.

9 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Yeah, admittedly there weren't all that many to choose from!!  I wondered what it would be like to prepare the list for say an Alabama or Ohio State.

More worthy years to narrow it down between and unbeaten or one loss top 5 teams? Lol 

Archived