Eastern Illinois Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a thought.  Does an $8 beer actually encourage your younger crowd to arrive "drunk" already?  As we called it in college "pregaming."

$8 targets a more established crowd.  1 beer should never cost 6 times more than one on the street.  This isn't Disney.  Maybe at that price point less people buy 6 16 ouncers, but id argue at that price people are still more likely to get loaded even harder in the parking lot or sneak the flask.  

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Here's a thought.  Does an $8 beer actually encourage your younger crowd to arrive "drunk" already?  As we called it in college "pregaming."

$8 targets a more established crowd.  1 beer should never cost 6 times more than one on the street.  This isn't Disney.  Maybe at that price point less people buy 6 16 ouncers, but id argue at that price people are still more likely to get loaded even harder in the parking lot or sneak the flask.  

College students don't need encouragement to arrive hammered.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:53 AM, NotIThatLives said:

It doesn't cost 6 times as much though. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

You're right.  With it being 16 oz.  I'm thinking about a 6er being $10 now, while also stretching it out a little bit for grammatic effect.  Technically.  13.8 cents vs 50 cents an ounce.  

You can't compare how much it costs there vs what it costs for a 6pk of tall boys. 

Compare it to what you pay when you go out to eat.. things like that. Or if you go to a bar. 

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You can't compare how much it costs there vs what it costs for a 6pk of tall boys. 

Compare it to what you pay when you go out to eat.. things like that. Or if you go to a bar. 

I'm thinking about the fans in the parking lot.  We can compare this from all angles.  There are no rules to this hypothetical discussion.  

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm thinking about the fans in the parking lot.  We can compare this from all angles.  There are no rules to this hypothetical discussion.  

Sure there are. It's how you have a discussion in general. 

Fans that stay in the parking lot are lame af to begin with. Idk why we would talk about them.. go to the game or dont come at all. Its embarrassing. 

Does food you make at home cost less than going to Red Lobster? Duh. Is it cheaper to stay at home and watch the game or buy a ticket, use gas and go to the game? Obviously going to the game.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Fans that stay in the parking lot are lame af to begin with. Idk why we would talk about them.. go to the game or dont come at all. Its embarrassing. 

Does food you make at home cost less than going to Red Lobster? Duh. 

I apologize for continuing to compare how things are done at Wyoming.  Tailgating is huge in Laramie.  However, security comes out and clears the lots, prior to the game. Ensuring everyone is in the stadium, or is requested to leave to lots.  No one argues.  Cause that is norm for them.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I apologize for continuing to compare how things are done at Wyoming.  Tailgating is huge in Laramie.  However, security comes out and clears the lots, prior to the game. Ensuring everyone is in the stadium, or is requested to leave to lots.  No one argues.  Cause that is norm for them.

That's an awesome idea. Wish they did that here. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Does food you make at home cost less than going to Red Lobster? Duh. Is it cheaper to stay at home and watch the game or buy a ticket, use gas and go to the game? Obviously going to the game.

I didn't know there were unspoken rules set.  

I'm with @Steubenhoosier on the pricing.  I remember a year or two back, Glass was on JMV talking about they were researching the topic.  I'm guessing part of the research was the sweet spot for pricing that would include all these factors.  You are always going to have people strictly going to the tailgate fields for the tailgate fields, not the game.  Losing is the culture that developed that game.  It's what almost all of us alumni know.  Then you have that the university does not want to be contributing to public intoxication, so set the price high and end sales at the end of the 3rd quarter.    

Each of us is allowed to have a perspective on this without being ridiculed or attacked.  You are big time into football and that's cool.  I have battled alcoholism and can think about getting loaded like I used to before games.  The last game I went to, probably 5-6 years back, I was stone cold sober and had an enjoyable experience, even though we came up just short.  I don't have a problem with the price.  Just re-read an article about pricing, you can get a domestic for $7.  The crafts are $8.  Some will pay, some won't.  It's not that big of deal to me in the grand scheme and was just sharing my thoughts.   

Archived