As a Coach

OLDIUFAN

I know what I saw against OSU. It was a butt kicking in every aspect of the game. I took no positives from this game. So as a coach how do you approach this week. It’s an easy win next week are should be, but how do you tell your team you have other Big Ten teams that you better be ready for without stealing what little confidence they might have. How you keep from chocking the offense line coach. Asking him what the heck are we doing and how are you going to fix this . Maybe we can’t complete with OSU ,but we better be able to play against the rest of our schedule! The offensive line hasn’t looked good yet! 

On defense, I would practice tackling, tackling, and tackling.  After that, I would practice some tackling.  If we could get that fixed, our defense would improve a ton.  Corners need to cover better too, so work on that.  I'd also get back to working on turnovers.  We have only created 2 turnovers through 3 games.  Not good enough.

On offense, I would tell the offensive line that if our RB don't rush for 150+ yards next week, there's some kind of punishment.  Or if they do rush for it, there is some kind of reward.  No reason we shouldn't run all over UCONN.  I'd also track how many times each lineman could push their defender 2+ yards down the field on runs and have a reward for whoever had the most.

As far as mentally which I think is what you mean, I wouldn't talk too much about it.  Talk about how that game wasn't acceptable and things need to get better, but not dwell on it.  It is only 1 loss, and they have a chance next week to make up for it.  Find the things you need to improve on, and work on them.  Don't talk about anything in the past, just about the future.

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

On defense, I would practice tackling, tackling, and tackling.  After that, I would practice some tackling.  If we could get that fixed, our defense would improve a ton.  Corners need to cover better too, so work on that.  I'd also get back to working on turnovers.  We have only created 2 turnovers through 3 games.  Not good enough.

On offense, I would tell the offensive line that if our RB don't rush for 150+ yards next week, there's some kind of punishment.  Or if they do rush for it, there is some kind of reward.  No reason we shouldn't run all over UCONN.  I'd also track how many times each lineman could push their defender 2+ yards down the field on runs and have a reward for whoever had the most.

As far as mentally which I think is what you mean, I wouldn't talk too much about it.  Talk about how that game wasn't acceptable and things need to get better, but not dwell on it.  It is only 1 loss, and they have a chance next week to make up for it.  Find the things you need to improve on, and work on them.  Don't talk about anything in the past, just about the future.

Thank you yes mentally is what I meant! Yet they have got to look at themselves and realize where they need to improve. Behind close doors I would be ripping my assistant coaches! They need to step up their coaching. It’s early but things need to improve fast! 

7 minutes ago, Bob said:

Thank you yes mentally is what I meant! Yet they have got to look at themselves and realize where they need to improve. Behind close doors I would be ripping my assistant coaches! They need to step up their coaching. It’s early but things need to improve fast! 

I agree about the assistants.  If I was Allen, I would definitely let at least Wommack, Hagen, Hiller, and DeBoer know that they aren't getting it done.  To the players, I like keeping things mostly positive and not looking back on bad games.  The coaches look back, and keep their players looking forward.

53 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I agree about the assistants.  If I was Allen, I would definitely let at least Wommack, Hagen, Hiller, and DeBoer know that they aren't getting it done.  To the players, I like keeping things mostly positive and not looking back on bad games.  The coaches look back, and keep their players looking forward.

Someone needs to lead Allen know he isn't getting it done. Indiana gas become what Northwestern and Wisconsin used to be in the conference.

17 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Someone needs to lead Allen know he isn't getting it done. Indiana gas become what Northwestern and Wisconsin used to be in the conference.

It isn't like that happened under Allen.  We have had the most pathetic results of anyone in the country for the last 30 years.  We literally have the most losses in NCAA football history.

I think the fact that we're upset about a blow out loss to one of the best teams in the country says a lot.  For years, this loss wouldn't haven't been a blip on the radar.  It would have just been expected.

7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It isn't like that happened under Allen.  We have had the most pathetic results of anyone in the country for the last 30 years.  We literally have the most losses in NCAA football history.

I think the fact that we're upset about a blow out loss to one of the best teams in the country says a lot.  For years, this loss wouldn't haven't been a blip on the radar.  It would have just been expected.

I agree with what you are saying but Allen was and is not the answer. Nice guy but he should not of been hired for the position he is in.

7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Did an internet search. And found you are right. Prior to IU taking the top in losses.  It was Northwestern.   HEY.  We're number one ! Yeesh.

3 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I agree with what you are saying but Allen was and is not the answer. Nice guy but he should not of been hired for the position he is in.

I am still sitting out on Coach Allen.However you post  reminds me of Wade Phillips. Became HC of the Denver Broncos. And he was horrible.  And got fired. Years later, he came back as the Denver defensive coordinator.  And he was terrific.   Peter Principle ?

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am still sitting out on Coach Allen.However you post  reminds me of Wade Phillips. Became HC of the Denver Broncos. And he was horrible.  And got fired. Years later, he came back as the Denver defensive coordinator.  And he was terrific.   Peter Principle ?

It has been 50 years since we went to the Rose Bowl. I am 65 and I want to see them do it again before I go to he??!

35 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I'm not nearly as negative about him as you are. We're 3 games into what could still be a really good season.  We've won the 2 games we should have won, and lost the one we should have lost.  We haven't gotten to the games that will decide this season.

He's done a lot to improve the program, just needs to make a bowl. There's still plenty of time in my opinion.

Archived