Green, Durham Named IU BB Captains

IUFLA

18 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Besides message boards and us body language experts, why does everybody conclude Devonte had a bad attitude?

He had a suspension, granted. But beyond that all I hear is message board conjecture.

I remember Juwan Morgan, who we all typically revere, saying he was debating transfer and it was Devinte that talked him off the ledge and encouraged him to finish what he started.

So we have a tangible example.of real leadership, and a bunch of "he looks disintereted".

I think we often times mistake in game judgement as a reflection of attitude or team buy in.

I'm not sure I would characterize it as a bad attitude, but Devonte has had his challenges...more than most on the team.

I think this article explains a lot of the perception.

“Devonte has always had a chip on his shoulder, for whatever reason,” Green Sr. said. “It helps him sometimes, it hurts him sometimes. But, it keeps him competitive I can tell you that… It made him ultra competitive.”

“I think the biggest thing with him is always maturity,” Green Sr. said. “You know, he just had to accept what they wanted him to do over there…He was recruited by coach Crean, so he had to learn a new offense, a new defense, and as far as a person he just had to mature. Understand there are just certain things you have to do and don’t give up. He just had to embrace that.”

Like I said, I just think Devonte and Justin were the last 2 guys to buy into what Coach Miller was selling. And that's understandable.

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It makes total sense to me.  On one hand you choose the player with the most 'captain-like' qualities (Al), and you pair him with the player who will have the most impact on how successful or not the team is (Devonte).  Maybe this is the little push Devonte needs to ensure that we get good Devonte more often, both on and off the court.  

People can learn and change, especially when they're still young. So I'd say they may have got sort of newfound identities and can become the next leaders of the team. That's quite possible. 

I don't and never question their hearts. By all accounts, they work hard and they're great kids. But being a leader of more than a dozen players is something else. Leaders must be vocal and constant communication is key for success, and oftentimes, people with introverted personalities struggle a lot for a while. They're quite good at leading people by example but that's only about half of what it takes to be a good leader. I wanted someone that has presence and extroverted personalities to be the next leader. 

I only look at things from outside as a fan, so I can be easily wrong and I trust people (players and coaching staff) who have first hand knowledge. Wish the best of luck and for Devonte and Al, this is a great opportunity, not only as players but as persons. Hope they make the best of it. 

Just heard DD say that he would be really surprised if Green does not average 18 to 20 a game.  He also things Davis if healthy will have a big year. He also said that JH if he is 100% that he is not only going to be an impact player he could be a career changing player for CAM. JH is the 1 guy that can have most impact on any team in the conference. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just heard DD say that he would be really surprised if Green does not average 18 to 20 a game.  He also things Davis if healthy will have a big year. He also said that JH if he is 100% that he is not only going to be an impact player he could be a career changing player for CAM. JH is the 1 guy that can have most impact on any team in the conference. 

Thanks for posting what you heard.  I hate how much we have to use the word "if" in discussing the prospects for this team.  

Archived