Jimmie Johnson

HoosierJax

23 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And potentially one of the most divisive topics in NASCAR: Was Johnson talented enough on his own to be listed in the pantheon alongside Petty and Earnhardt, or was he a product of NASCAR's constant shuffling of points systems?

Here is my take...Johnson would not have won 7 without the playoffs...some seasons he was to far behind in points to possibly win..but that was the way it was and he rose to the top in those 10 races...he still won 83 races...he had talent...flip side of the coin was someone like Jeff Gordon who lost out 2-3 Championships because of the reset of points ...some seasons he would have coasted out with big point leads.

On 11/20/2019 at 1:51 PM, HoosierJax said:

Here is my take...Johnson would not have won 7 without the playoffs...some seasons he was to far behind in points to possibly win..but that was the way it was and he rose to the top in those 10 races...he still won 83 races...he had talent...flip side of the coin was someone like Jeff Gordon who lost out 2-3 Championships because of the reset of points ...some seasons he would have coasted out with big point leads.

This is my take as well.  NASCAR committed suicide when they started monkeying with the points system.  I quit following NASCAR when Johnson was at his peak.  I just found it dull and the people at the top like the Busch brothers were just unlikable.  The current points system looks absolutely ridiculous, although admittedly, I'm not interested enough to try to learn it.  My in-laws had it on TV the other weekend and it just looked boring as hell.  NASCAR was fun when a kid named Jeff Gordon was duking it out with Dale Earnhardt. Today? Meh.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

This is my take as well.  NASCAR committed suicide when they started monkeying with the points system.  I quit following NASCAR when Johnson was at his peak.  I just found it dull and the people at the top like the Busch brothers were just unlikable.  The current points system looks absolutely ridiculous, although admittedly, I'm not interested enough to try to learn it.  My in-laws had it on TV the other weekend and it just looked boring as hell.  NASCAR was fun when a kid named Jeff Gordon was duking it out with Dale Earnhardt. Today? Meh.

Agreed...I tried to watch the Championship race Sunday and got bored..no excitement 

There was a time when Nascar was must watch TV. Every lap, interview,etc... for me. Big Stewart fan. I've watched probably 10 laps this whole year (Brickyard finish). Sport was a traveling Super Bowl each week for years.

In terms of JJ....wish Tony had his equipment when he first started. Tony using Pontiac probably cost him a couple more titles.

Archived