UCONN Postgame Thread

KDB

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I know he's naturally a good natured kid, but I like mean De'Ron.  Reminds me a little of Dale/Antonio Davis from the '90s Pacers.  Not going to be the aggressor, but it takes about a half-second to realize this isn't a guy you mess with either. 

Me too. Saw it twice last year. Once against Louisville when they made a hard foul on one of our guys, and once against Giorgi Bezhanishvili when he tried to be a tough guy in our beatdown of the Illini in Champaign. De'Ron got in his face, and he really wasn't a factor for the rest of the game.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Especially agree with you on JH and DA. As presently constituted, this is probably a bubble team, probably on the right side of the bubble. With that said, if Phinisee can get to 100% healthy and all the rust shaken off, and if one or both of JH and DA can find themselves and gain confidence offensively, then this is a completely different team. It will be a struggle if IU goes all year with JH and DA just hitting a shot here and there. We need at least one of them to establish themselves offensively. 

I'm not saying they need to average 15ppg or anything, but we need one or both to gain confidence to where IU can count of them to hit open shots and provide reliable, consistent scoring off the bench, especially when Green and some of the other guys are off. 

I think you know you and I see eye to eye on Hunter and Demez --

Only question I have here is how much is their contribution level/playing time about their gaining/re-gaining confidence and timing, and how much is on CAM, for how he has structured the team so far.

I do tend to think the lineups and playing time have been mostly dictated by injuries and health of key players, Rob and Green in particular, and their road back. However, I kind of question the lack of development of wing play early. CAM has publicly stated, after a game, that he needs to find more time for Demez and Hunter. So he sees that, and we saw in the last game what both could do defensively with playing time. It's also been clear with Hunter in particular that his road back will continue to take time. Still, in that 'cupcake' part of the schedule, I think both were underutilized -- those were the games to get them more time to develop the wing along with their confidence and timing.

Now we're headed into the difficult stretch of the season/conference play. I hope to see both get good time against a relatively weak Nebraska team. The schedule then gets a lot more difficult quickly. We're going to need shooting, playmaking from the wing, and the ability to defend with quickness.

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Me too. Saw it twice last year. Once against Louisville when they made a hard foul on one of our guys, and once against Giorgi Bezhanishvili when he tried to be a tough guy in our beatdown of the Illini in Champaign. De'Ron got in his face, and he really wasn't a factor for the rest of the game.

Every player this year seems to have their own little niche, and I think we found De'Ron's.  He's the only one that can physically scare the %&#* out of someone.  Yeah, Joey is taller, but he's about as intimidating as the lead singer of Nickelback. 

Wasn't sure where to even put this because she posted after UConn game so I guess I'll post here. Plus I'm cold and bored.

India Franklin is very active on social media. She posted a picture with her and Armaan after the game. In short she said this journey has been nothing short of amazing so far. I guess my point is this. Doesn't hurt to have good looking folks from in state highlighting how much they love playing at IU. Truth be told if I was a parent of a recruit in the 21 and beyond classes I'd be thinking that's pretty cool and may want to be them. Some of the old guard may not agree with social media influence but it does play a huge role. Just thought I mention.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Every player this year seems to have their own little niche, and I think we found De'Ron's.  He's the only one that can physically scare the %&#* out of someone.  Yeah, Joey is taller, but he's about as intimidating as the lead singer of Nickelback. 

Obviously you have never listened to 'Never Again' and 'This Means War' by Nickelback! :coffee:

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

You’ve heard dude from Nickelback sing, right? 

That’s some spooky stuff.

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to even put this because she posted after UConn game so I guess I'll post here. Plus I'm cold and bored.

India Franklin is very active on social media. She posted a picture with her and Armaan after the game. In short she said this journey has been nothing short of amazing so far. I guess my point is this. Doesn't hurt to have good looking folks from in state highlighting how much they love playing at IU. Truth be told if I was a parent of a recruit in the 21 and beyond classes I'd be thinking that's pretty cool and may want to be them. Some of the old guard may not agree with social media influence but it does play a huge role. Just thought I mention.

This is KEY to CAM success at IU!  He needs for the State of Indiana to buy in to his system.  From 5 stars down to unranked, buy into the system even if this means passing on the “CANT MISS” in State players unless they BUY IN!

Archived