the saga of deron davis

coachv

it has become a pitiful sight, watching deron davis' season disintegrate before our eyes. he is as healthy as he has been in a long time, and is eager to contribute, i'm sure. his minutes have dwindled to near nothing, mired behind a solid brunk, and a spectacular jackson-davis. watching deron get yanked after a mere minute of play against the irish was sad. the pleading look on his face, palms stretched out, as he approached miller on his way to the bench has been witnessed before this season. he understands he will not see the floor again. and yet, in his one minute he commits two fouls, passes on a wide open ten footer in the lane and promptly turns the ball over with a horrible pass. deron has been one of my favorites during his time here, and i pull for him to somehow turn around all the disappointment and leave indiana with some deserved glory. clearly he is on a short leash and it is impossible not to see his anguish as he is quickly pulled game after game.

40 minutes ago, coachv said:

it has become a pitiful sight, watching deron davis' season disintegrate before our eyes. he is as healthy as he has been in a long time, and is eager to contribute, i'm sure. his minutes have dwindled to near nothing, mired behind a solid brunk, and a spectacular jackson-davis. watching deron get yanked after a mere minute of play against the irish was sad. the pleading look on his face, palms stretched out, as he approached miller on his way to the bench has been witnessed before this season. he understands he will not see the floor again. and yet, in his one minute he commits two fouls, passes on a wide open ten footer in the lane and promptly turns the ball over with a horrible pass. deron has been one of my favorites during his time here, and i pull for him to somehow turn around all the disappointment and leave indiana with some deserved glory. clearly he is on a short leash and it is impossible not to see his anguish as he is quickly pulled game after game.

I heartily agree with you coach.  It's a shame that between injuries, rehab and conditioning that De'Ron was always seemingly playing catch up.  His injuries were, of course, the biggest issue because he simply couldn't recover enough to play the game as he surely played it coming out of hs.

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Lots of bangers in our league...I just keep getting the feeling that De'Ron is going to have a couple of shining moments during B10 play...

And I'll be very happy for him when he does...

This.

One of these days it’ll be Brunk and TJD in foul trouble. He’ll get his shots still. And, we’ll need him. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

"We have different guys, making plays"...... Archie Miller. (Dec. 2019)

IMHO.  De'Ron's time will come.

Ohio st and Wesson...Michigan St and Tillman...Michigan and Teske...just a couple off the top of my head. We will need his 5 fouls if not a basket here and there.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Ohio st and Wesson...Michigan St and Tillman...Michigan and Teske...just a couple off the top of my head. We will need his 5 fouls if not a basket here and there.

Some people complain about De'Ron's feet. Yet they never mention that he is a great passer out of the post.

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Some people complain about De'Ron's feet. Yet they never mention that he is a great passer out of the post.

I agree Mile. When this young man has been healthy  he is a different player. I remember the Duke game and he out played both lottery picks. It sucks that he seems to have never been healthy at IU. There is a lot of wear and tear that goes into these young men's bodies (that most of us will never understand). We were never elite in our sports. I will always be proud of  the young man you mentioned to us so many years ago for choosing IU. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours!!!

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not to mention the Illinois goon squad of Cockburn and Bezhanishvili...we're going to need all hands on deck for that affair...

They're a physical group...

1 hour ago, loviubb said:

I agree Mile. When this young man has been healthy  he is a different player. I remember the Duke game and he out played both lottery picks. It sucks that he seems to have never been healthy at IU. There is a lot of wear and tear that goes into these young men's bodies (that most of us will never understand). We were never elite in our sports. I will always be proud of  the young man you mentioned to us so many years ago for choosing IU. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours!!!

Thank you. Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

18 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Lots of bangers in our league...I just keep getting the feeling that De'Ron is going to have a couple of shining moments during B10 play...

And I'll be very happy for him when he does...

He will and I hope he gets to have those moments again soon. We all saw how valuable he was vs Duke 2 years ago. 16 points in 21 minutes. Just hope he can find it.

18 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

His game against Duke showed that he had a lot to offer. Like Mo Creek, one game showing great potential with a career mired in injury.  I hope he can have enough moments this year that allows him to end his career with some degree of satisfaction.

Yep.  Sadly, it happens to players occasionally.  Injuries effectively kill their playing days.  In DD's case, it's compounded by the coaching change.  He may just not be the optimal type of player for CAM's system.

Like others, I suspect he'll have some opportunities through the B10 season and contribute as he has in the past.

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Not to mention the Illinois goon squad of Cockburn and Bezhanishvili...we're going to need all hands on deck for that affair...

They're a physical group...

Want to know Davis's role? He's the one player we have that can make a guy like Cockburn back down. Mere physical presence doesn't play as much of a role as it used to, but there are still spots it comes in handy.

I know I sure as hell don't want a pissed off De'Ron Davis running my direction, out of shape, injured or otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Want to know Davis's role? He's the one player we have that can make a guy like Cockburn back down. Mere physical presence doesn't play as much of a role as it used to, but there are still spots it comes in handy.

I know I sure as hell don't want a pissed off De'Ron Davis running my direction, out of shape, injured or otherwise.

Exactly...

Archived