Maryland post game

rico

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I looked at TT schedule this year and it looks pretty close to ours.  They pretty much started 5-0 beating up on cupcakes and scoring a lot of points.  Ten they lost 3 in a row to Creighton, Iowa and Depaul and twice scored 60 points.  They did beat UL which was a huge win and there next best win was today against Oklahoma St.  If we had an opening Beard would be one of my top choices but I just don't think it would be a home run hire.

Ramsey was injured and missed the Creighton and DePaul losses. TT just shot poorly in their loss to Iowa in Las Vegas.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Beard might come but I doubt IU can out bid Nike for Altman and would never want Pearl.  Well if there was coach like Meyer out there in basketball then yes we could get them since they would not have a job at this time.

Rick Pitino is like Meyer...both even have baggage and both have multiple NCs.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know fan is short for fanatical but I think all of us fans should realize that this is still just a game and for entertainment.  I am like everyone and would love to see us winning like we use to but at the end of the day an outcome of a game should not effect us.

But it does affect us...for me at least.

The real indictment for me at this point, is that I'm happier and "more entertained" watching a bunch of teams other than IU play bball, because we suck at it, for all of the above stated reasons in this thread. And I've been watching IU BBall for close to 50 years.

Decided to DVR the game so I could fast forward through the pain.  If Conference play goes anything like last year it is going to get ugly. 

The inability of Archie to not bring in recruits that can stroke the ball will be his demise.  This offense gets open shots, we just have no one that can hit them.  I truly believe he thought he could play the same way in the BIG that his Dayton team played.  Nope.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Archie may or may not be the right guy for IU,  But, he is a good coach.  If he were to leave IU and go somewhere else, he would quickly get that team into the tournament.  

Fouls, I respect the heck out of you but if you think he could do it elsewhere why can't he do it here?

57 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

I completely respect your opinion, but I'm not sure you are looking at things objectively either. Before I went to med school I got to work in both NFL & MLB front offices. Admittedly it's not basketball, but it's foolish to think the Indiana brand wouldn't attract top tier coaches. This indeed is an administration problem. Just because a guy like Mark Few or Gregg Marshall wouldn't leave their setups to come to Bloomington might speak more to them than to the university itself. The Dallas Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl since 1995. It's a TREMENDOUS JOB that every NFL coach is going to listen to unless you are Bill Belichick. The same goes for the Yankees who haven't won a World Series in 10 years. Theo Epstein didn't have to go to the Cubs. Neither did Joe Maddon, but it was the Chicago Cubs. I don't care if they hadn't won a World Series in forever. It was the freakin' Cubs! It's the same reason Urban Meyer said if the Cowboys offered he'd accept. It's the Cowboys. 

The Indiana mystique might not be as big as it was under RMK, but he mystique is there and coaches know how the state of Indiana views basketball. To think IU couldn't attract a guy like Bruce Pearl, Chris Beard or Dana Altman seems silly to me. Could they get Krzyzewski or Williams or Few or Bennett? No, but Indiana wasn't going to get Dean Smith either. Is that a problem with Indiana? 

Indiana has 3 huge problems:

1. The shadow of Bob Knight
2. An administration that doesn't want basketball to succeed
3. An heir apparent to Knight that was groomed by RMK himself

I don't think any of those things have to do with who IU could or couldn't get to take the job. 

Nail meet Hammer

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I truly don't think the problem is the coach...it's the on the floor leadership.

I think we'll be much better off in that category when Joey Brunk and Justin Smith (yes, I said it) are the captains/leaders...

I think things won't be as bad next year. IU fans are always saying IN high school players are preferred for their fundamentally sound upbringing and I want to see the freshmen get some playing time.  It may not translate into immediate wins but I think the effort and heart will be noticeable and appreciated. At least I'm hoping.  I also think the loss of Hunter was devastating.  He was a centerpiece type talent that got taken away and losing his offense was critical.

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

But it does affect us...for me at least.

The real indictment for me at this point, is that I'm happier and "more entertained" watching a bunch of teams other than IU play bball, because we suck at it, for all of the above stated reasons in this thread. And I've been watching IU BBall for close to 50 years.

That is a big question I always ask myself is why does an outcome of a game that we have to influence on the outcome bother us so much.  I have been watching IU basketball for over 40 years and have witnessed 3 championships so I have seen both the good and the bad of IU basketball.  Afer a win or a loss my life does not change one bit and the sun came up the next day so why do we get so upset after a loss.  Also we see so much more traffic after a game when we lose than after a big win.

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

Fouls, I respect the heck out of you but if you think he could do it elsewhere why can't he do it here?

Because he's done it somewhere else already.  There are things in play here other than his coaching ability. 

Maybe it's simply not the right fit.

Maybe the team is just dysfunctional beyond repair.

Maybe the pressure to meet expectations is weighing down both the coaching staff and the players.

2 hours ago, bobtcat2 said:

Well, Archie Miller isn't the guy.  That's 100 percent clear.  The lack of shooting makes this team look a lot worse than it is.  But perimeter shooting is so important in college basketball now that there are only a handful of teams that can play good enough defense to win without it.  The Virginia type teams that are so good defensively they can get by.  His Dayton teams were similar, always so bad offensively and with horrible shooting, but they got better results.  Third year here and my earlier projection of 7-13 in conference is going to be a challenge.  I stand by that, I think they'll win a bunch of home games.  Wouldn't be shocked to se all 10 road games be losses though.  And maybe 6-14 or 8-12.  6-8 win range for sure, not good enough.

Not sure where you get that his UD teams were "so bad offensively", as you say. His last four UD teams, which all made the tournament, shot 35,37,34,and 38% from the three. That's not bad at all. They were in the upper half of division 1 basketball in ppg 3 of those 4 yrs, and in the top 30% in scoring his last year at UD. Your statement that his Dayton teams were all horrible shooting teams just simply isn't accurate. This is coming from a die-hard UD fan who also roots for IU, that watched Archie coach my Flyers for 6 years.

I am as perplexed and disappointed as anybody by his  team's lack of success so far at IU. I really thought he was a home run hire. Outside shooting by his teams so far at IU is as bad as any Indiana teams I  remember, and I've been following since Alfords freshman year. So bummed at how it's gone so far.

Bottom line, you have to be able to put the ball in the hole to win, and he just seems to have players that cannot knock down shots.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Because he's done it somewhere else already.  There are things in play here other than his coaching ability. 

Maybe the pressure to meet expectations is weighing down both the coaching staff and the players.

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Goldie Wilson said:

Not sure where you get that his UD teams were "so bad offensively", as you say. His last four UD teams, which all made the tournament, shot 35,37,34,and 38% from the three. That's not bad at all. They were in the upper half of division 1 basketball in ppg 3 of those 4 yrs, and in the top 30% in scoring his last year at UD. Your statement that his Dayton teams were all horrible shooting teams just simply isn't accurate. This is coming from a die-hard UD fan who also roots for IU, that watched Archie coach my Flyers for 6 years.

I am as perplexed and disappointed as anybody by his  team's lack of success so far at IU. I really thought he was a home run hire. Outside shooting by his teams so far at IU is as bad as any Indiana teams I  remember, and I've been following since Alfords freshman year. So bummed at how it's gone so far.

Bottom line, you have to be able to put the ball in the hole to win, and he just seems to have players that cannot knock down shots.

Thanks for your post. Doesn’t clear anything up! Lol but it’s good info

8 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Just one for slick Rick according to the record books

He still won 2...even if it was vacated because of some strippers. Think the fact remains he is a legendary coach and would jump at the chance to run a premier program. If we are talking about bringing in a cheater like Pearl why not go for broke.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Good takes there...and I surmise somewhere in there is the answer.  

Archived