A Comparison

I think that you could easily draw a comparison between this team the last couple years and the last few years that Matter was at OSU. In those years OSU had some talent (Daniel Giddens, Jaquan Lyle, Ja'sean Tate, Micah Potter, C.J Jackson, Cam Williams, Marc Loving, Keita Bates-Diop...who was hurt for some of those years...Plus a couple of players that were good who transferred out like Mickey Mitchel and Derek Funderburke) But could never put it all together...They were just king of lethargic and lacked identity. They'd put it together for a game and then lose it again.

I don't think that anyone would argue that Matta couldn't coach. If he had ended up at IU we would have loved him...Just those teams never meshed for whatever reason. Personality, injuries, taking a chance on a couple of kids like Jaquan Lyle. I think a fairly similar thing could describe IU with the roster a bit disjointed and not all people pulling in the same direction.

There are 100 ways to play basketball. Most of them valid ways to approach the game. The goal of team is to make sure that everyone on the roster is to be buying in to the same style and fully believing in that style. It has been an uphill battle for this coaching staff to get this team to do that....

I think that eventually, given time,  Archie would be able to pull the culture together and get the team fully engaged in the same style of play....but it sure has been hard so far.

Archived