2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Bengals drop to 0-2 and I imagine there's more than a little concern in their locker room.  Since 1990 only 31 teams out of 270 NFL teams made the playoffs after starting 0-2.  They made it last season, but I am openly skeptical of this team repeating that feat since only about 11.5% have done it for a single season, much less back to back years.

Edited by jv1972iu

14 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Bengals drop to 0-2 and I imagine there's more than a little concern in their locker room.  Since 1990 only 31 teams out of 270 NFL teams made the playoffs after starting 0-2.  They made it last season, but I am openly skeptical of this team repeating that feat since only about 11.5% have done it for a single season, much less back to back years.

Burrow's calf is not right.  He was limping quite a bit exiting the field after the game.   if he can't go 100%, no sense playing him and risking a more significant injury,  

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Burrow's calf is not right.  He was limping quite a bit exiting the field after the game.   if he can't go 100%, no sense playing him and risking a more significant injury,  

Yeah, he said he tweaked his calf injury late in the game.  No team has ever gone 0-2 to start back to back seasons and made the playoffs each season.  I just don't believe this team is going to be the first.  And this bad start will aggravate personnel issues, I'm betting.  That's the pessimist in me coming out.  

14 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

He did, initially, but I thought it looked worse when his head hit the ground. It hit so hard that it bounced up and hit again on the turf…. I sure hope he recovers quick with no issues

Richardson's got to become more aware and protect himself better when he runs. He may be 250 but this is the big league and they are looking to lay the wood when they get a shot. Looked to me like he let up once once he saw he would get in the end zone. Not sure he even saw the DB coming but he had quite a runway on Richardson. I mean the smaller guy just knocked him on his arse. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rico said:

Richardson needs to quit worrying about "showboating."

Yeah - did look like he went into celebration mode too early. Steichen needs to talk to him about A) being aware and protecting himself and B) finding right balance of confidence/cockiness/smarts. Young player, but he needs to learn quickly before he gets himself seriously injured (if he hasn't already).

Edited by D-BONE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, D-BONE said:

Yeah - did look like he went into celebration mode too early. Steichen needs to talk to him about A) being aware and protecting himself and B) finding right balance of confidence/cockiness/smarts. Young player, but he needs to learn quickly before he gets himself seriously injured (if he hasn't already).

I'm not say Richardson is him, but Michael Vick comes to mind about show boating....

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Same old story... cheap out on a coach and crappy evaluating of QBs...

I'm giving everyone these next 4-5 games to see where we stand. I'm not going to go all prognostication like I did in post game Penn St thread this past season when the world was ending....but after the Chiefs this week we have some winnable games. Of course the first two were winnable as well.

On 9/17/2023 at 4:55 PM, jv1972iu said:

I honestly don’t think 11.5% is that bad a percentage. Out of 32 teams that’s basically a little better than 3 teams a year make the playoffs. So if there are 3 teams you would pick to make the playoffs this year after that start…I’d take Cincy easily….with Chargers or Broncos, and Minnesota as also a shot given the divisions.

Those stats probably can’t take into account that we have extra playoff teams now and an extra game on the schedule to make up for two quick losses.   I’d imagine it’s more like 20% at least with today’s numbers.   Heck 9-8 will probably get you in.

It’s like if you lost two straight mid-season.  Probably happens a lot with playoff teams.  

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Those stats probably can’t take into account that we have extra playoff teams now and an extra game on the schedule to make up for two quick losses.   I’d imagine it’s more like 20% at least with today’s numbers.   Heck 9-8 will probably get you in.

It’s like if you lost two straight mid-season.  Probably happens a lot with playoff teams.  

0-2 is one thing.  0-3 is another.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

I honestly don’t think 11.5% is that bad a percentage. Out of 32 teams that’s basically a little better than 3 teams a year make the playoffs. So if there are 3 teams you would pick to make the playoffs this year after that start…I’d take Cincy easily….with Chargers or Broncos, and Minnesota as also a shot given the divisions.

I might agree if I felt Burrow was moving past his physical problems as he did last season.  But that's not the case.  Plus the AFC North is still a formidable division defensively.  The failure/decision not to sign Tee Higgins still feels like a personnel issue that could lead to locker room problems.  But that's totally my gut and too much Bengals mgmt/Brown family history talking.  I hope that I'm wrong.  But if Burrow can't play effectively this next game, this discussion is pretty meaningless.  

• Like 1

Bengals need to put Burrow on IR.  With the upcoming schedule, they could still potentially win 2 of next 4.  That leaves them 2-4 going into their bye in week 7.

If Burrow uses those 5 weeks to heal properly, then an 8-3 finish with a healthy Burrow gets them to 10-7 and a likely playoff spot.

Ideal scenario?  No.  But he's not been healthy these first two games and is hurting team more than helping.  If he keeps playing hurt, no way they win enough to get in playoffs.  So why do it?

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bengals need to put Burrow on IR.  With the upcoming schedule, they could still potentially win 2 of next 4.  That leaves them 2-4 going into their bye in week 7.

If Burrow uses those 5 weeks to heal properly, then an 8-3 finish with a healthy Burrow gets them to 10-7 and a likely playoff spot.

Ideal scenario?  No.  But he's not been healthy these first two games and is hurting team more than helping.  If he keeps playing hurt, no way they win enough to get in playoffs.  So why do it?

I see your point, but have doubts about Burrow healing in five weeks, doubts about this team winning even two games with a backup quarterback, and lastly that they can finish in the way you suggested.  I'm thoroughly pessimistic about this season for the Bengals.

Edited by jv1972iu

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah, I'm really surprised they haven't already. This is reminding me of Kevin Durant in 2019. 

He had that calf strain and kept trying to come back too soon and kept reaggrevating it. He'd sit out a bit more and then try and come back again, etc.

Then we all know what happened, he finally tore the Achilles. 

If I'm the Bengals, I'm preserving my Burrow investment and almost considering the season a wash. Get him recovered and healthy, and get a high pick and take the best OL available. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I'm really surprised they haven't already. This is reminding me of Kevin Durant in 2019. 

He had that calf strain and kept trying to come back too soon and kept reaggrevating it. He'd sit out a bit more and then try and come back again, etc.

Then we all know what happened, he finally tore the Achilles. 

If in the Bengals, I'm preserving my Burrow investment and almost considering the season a wash. Get him recovered and healthy, and get a high pick and take the best OL available. 

This 100%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Imo…which isn’t much given I know absolutely nothing about the severity of Joes injury….but I look at it this way. Joe is one of those talents like Peyton Manning. 2008 Peyton was coming off a couple knee surgeries and the team started very slow and didn’t look good at all. 3-4  But once Peyton turned a corner they got super hot…and ended 12-4 and while they didn’t win a SB they clearly were a threat to every year. If Joe needs to sit then sit because if he is healthy he is good enough to win 8-10 games in a row. They aren’t out of it…and if he just needs to play thought it….and it will get better over time…again that’s fine..he is good enough to overcome. I would never throw away a season with talent of his caliber though.

Edited by dgambill

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Bears DC Alan Williams home was raided after week 1 and Halas Hall was raided this morning. People can find their own articles but not good.

Quick update. Charles Tillman (former Bear legend) is now a FBI agent. He's the one who broke the news to Bears Mgt and Staff.....sounds really bad.