2023 NFL Discussion

rico

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Didn't CJ Stroud lose to ATL, CAR, and Indy already? 🤪

59% comp pct yesterday is lower than AR's season %. Yawn. 

What did Peyton Manning do his first year in the league?  Colts record that year?  Stroud has 'it' and that is obvious to my untrained eye.  Richardson is a more athletic specimen, but has nowhere near the  pocket intangibles. 

Stroud's completion percentage is misleading because they push the ball deep more than any team in the league.  He isnt dumping 40% of his pass volume out to Austin Ekeler in the flat like Herbert does.

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If you read articles from Young’s playing days at TX and TN, it was generally consensus that he and Michael Vick were the two best athletes to ever play QB. Young and AR were/are the same size. In 2006 Young ran a 4.58 40, AR ran a 4.43. Allowing for advances in training, I’d say they are both elite athletes 

4.58 isn't close to 4.43 in terms of 40 times. 

And that isn't counting the rest of who they are as an athlete... that's just their 40 time.  Same size.. expect AR is still measurably bigger. 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Didn't CJ Stroud lose to ATL, CAR, and Indy already? 🤪

59% comp pct yesterday is lower than AR's season %. Yawn. 

What was AR's % yesterday? 

Come back at the end of next season and then we'll see what impact sitting out 3/4ths of this year had on his development. That plus the fact that he played so little in college leaves him way behind, developmentally.

Your argument about AR being an elite athlete takes me back to the arguments on this forum about recruiting athletes or players. Stroud is proving he is a player. AR has not proven much of anything. How could he when he has only played one game in its entirety?

Edited by Steubenhoosier

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What did Peyton Manning do his first year in the league?  Colts record that year?  Stroud has 'it' and that is obvious to my untrained eye.  Richardson is a more athletic specimen, but has nowhere near the  pocket intangibles. 

Stroud's completion percentage is misleading because they push the ball deep more than any team in the league.  He isnt dumping 40% of his pass volume out to Austin Ekeler in the flat like Herbert does.

Huh? 

Well... if Herbert had a healthy WR core he wouldn't have to throw the ball to Ekeler as much. 👍

You want to compare Jamarr Chase, Tee Higgins, and Tyler Boyd to the Chargers oft-injured WR core? Burrow throws to the 2nd best WR in the league and the best WR core. 

Edited by btownqb

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What was AR's % yesterday? 

Come back at the end of next season and then we'll see what impact sitting out 3/4ths of this year had on his development. That plus the fact that he played so little in college leaves him way behind, developmentally.

Your argument about AR being an elite athlete takes me back to the arguments on this forum about recruiting athletes or players. Stroud is proving he is a player. AR has not proven much of anything. How could he when he has only played one game in its entirety?

So Stroud did lose to Carolina? thought so. 

Edited by btownqb

Just now, btownqb said:

C'mon now....you're a coach. Is that what you tell your kids when they lose a game? That it's all on the shoulders of one player.

No, he did not lose to Carolina. The Texans did. The same team that beat Jacksonville (which we have not) Pittsburgh, and the Bengals. 

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

C'mon now....you're a coach. Is that what you tell your kids when they lose a game? That it's all on the shoulders of one player.

No, he did not lose to Carolina. The Texans did. The same team that beat Jacksonville (which we have not) Pittsburgh, and the Bengals. 

Why would I tell my team that? 

It's wild to crown him because "he lol" beat the Bengals... but just gloss over the fact they lost to the worst team in football, another shitty team (ATL), and were handled by the Colts. CJ Stroud looks great, shouldn't change anyone's thoughts on what we saw from AR... "see, see I told you the Colts should have taken Stroud!"... I'm over here like... "why?".... 

Edited by btownqb

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

15 years from now, here will be the conversation.

AR will have a Michael Vick type of career (minus the dog-fighting thing).

CJ Stroud will have several Drew Brees like years from a yardage and TD perspective.  Not saying there is an 80,000 yard career out there, or he'll win a Super Bowl, but those raw annual stats are attainable  based on his skills and intangibles.

Charlotte F'd up the draft at a historical level.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why would I tell my team that? 

It's wild to crown him because "he lol" beat the Bengals... but just gloss over the fact they lost to the worst team in football, another shitty team (ATL), and were handled by the Colts. CJ Stroud looks great, shouldn't change anyone's thoughts on what we saw from AR... "see, see I told you the Colts should have taken Stroud!"... I'm over like... "why?".... 

Why are you blaming Stroud for the losses? I did not say "he" beat the Bengals, if you go back and read my post. I said the team did. And the team lost to those bad teams. 

What we saw from AR is too incomplete to pass judgement on. If a gun was put to my head to evaluate him this season, I would say that he has to learn how to protect himself so he can stay on the field. That only comes from playing, not film sessions, not practices... and he needs to get all the game experience he can.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

15 years from now, here will be the conversation.

AR will have a Michael Vick type of career (minus the dog-fighting thing).

CJ Stroud will have several Drew Brees like years from a yardage and TD perspective.  Not saying there is an 80,000 yard career out there, or he'll win a Super Bowl, but those raw annual stats are attainable  based on his skills and intangibles.

Charlotte F'd up the draft at a historical level.

AR gunna put up video game numbers if Shane Steichen stays in Indy. CJ Stroud who? 

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Why are you blaming Stroud for the losses? I did not say "he" beat the Bengals, if you go back and read my post. I said the team did. And the team lost to those bad teams. 

What we saw from AR is too incomplete to pass judgement on. If a gun was put to my head to evaluate him this season, I would say that he has to learn how to protect himself so he can stay on the field. That only comes from playing, not film sessions, not practices... and he needs to get all the game experience he can.

That is SOOOOOO much less of a worry than what I thought we were going to have. AR looked crazy explosive, passing was immensely more timely/accurate than I expected. Seam routes, crossers all of that looked awesome. Needs to work on his stuff to the boundary. One of my biggest worries was his ability to make big plays with HIS ARM when the pocket broke down... he showed that ability in bunches. 

I didn't pass the first judgment btw. You all brought up the "well by god Levis and Stroud have shown glimpses, so that means the Colts shouldn't have drafted AR" BS. That's all I have responded to. 

He 100% is going to help himself from all the films/practices he will get before his next game. 

Edited by btownqb

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That is SOOOOOO much less of a worry than what I thought we were going to have. AR looked crazy explosive, passing was immensely more timely/accurate than I expected. Seam routes, crossers all of that looked awesome. Needs to work on his stuff to the boundary. One of my biggest worries was his ability to make big plays with HIS ARM when the pocket broke down... he showed that ability in bunches. 

I didn't pass the first judgment btw. You all brought up the "well by god Levis and Stroud have shown glimpses, so that means the Colts shouldn't have drafted AR" BS. That's all I have responded to. 

He 100% is going to help himself from all the films/practices he will get before his next game. 

Never once did I mention Levis as someone I wanted on the Colts. He cannot learn how to stay out of harms way by watching film or in practice. He has to learn how to protect himself, or he's useless to the team

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Never once did I mention Levis as someone I wanted on the Colts. He cannot learn how to stay out of harms way by watching film or in practice. He has to learn how to protect himself, or he's useless to the team

Yes, he can. Why would you think he couldn't? I didn't say it'll 100% alleviate the problem.. I said it will help. 

"never once did you mention Levis".. ok... I don't keep a Rolodex of it. Someone did. 

It's really not that hard to figure out how to protect yourself. plus.. two of the plays he got hurt were pretty freakish plays. Play he got the concussion on.. the best way to fix that is film. 

Edited by btownqb

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ummmm.  I don't think I ever implied the Colts should have drafted Stroud over AR, especially considering the fact that I am well aware that STROUD HAD ALREADY BEEN DRAFTED BY THE TEXANS BEFORE THE COLTS EVEN HAD A CHANCE TO PICK.

24 minutes ago, rico said:

I wonder what QB the Colts will be drafting in a few years?  

I assume Ehlinger will hang around as their backup for a bit... I hope we can keep Gardner as the backup, not sure how that'll work out money wise. 

But I could for sure see us drafting one late in 2024 if we can't get Gardner resigned as our #3. 

Richardson, any QB, will need a backup.  Get a good one!