2023 NFL Discussion

rico

39 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yeah, I don't think very many are a guaranteed franchise QB. I am just going off of what the pundits are saying...and they are claiming he is the surest thing since Luck/Lawrence. I have only watched him play a few times honestly.

I’ve seen him where he has looked eye popping.  Surprising zip on the ball and very creative and resourceful.  The one thing that makes me pause is his inexplicable picks against ND.  

When I look at college qb’s, I look at two things (assuming arm strength is there).  Accuracy and ability to function under duress.  You see a Georgia or Bama quarterback with a clean pocket and that’s meaningless.  

I felt like his picks were not a good sign when under duress.  

Having said that, I like him and would take him. 

Fields can be dangerous but he’s not the same caliber.  You’d have to tailor an offense to him off the edge and play the threat of the run.  If a receiver is wide open, he can hit strikes with authority.  He’s also a zero in throwing with anticipation or touch and his reads are lacking. He doesn’t see wide open guys.  

Bottom line, IMO you can win with Fields but it’s got to be a very specific offense.  It’s not the offense the Bears have run properly. As he’s being deployed, he’s the classic keep both teams in the game guy.  Let him go somewhere where they tailor it to him and he’s dangerous. 

Bears have the opportunity to get a first overall qb. Roll with that and I guarantee you GB, Detroit and Minn would be far more concerned with the Bears finally carrying a franchise qb for the next decade plus.  Hardest position to fill and they will have a lot of ammo to build a roster in coming years that can be lasting.  Fields can go somewhere and be dangerous for awhile but Williams is easily the better asset.  Can’t squander that.  Imagine if the Bears pass on that and he excels.  I don’t think they’d let that happen and the polling around the league backs that up.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Imagine Fields on Atlanta with some of their young weapons.  Or NE or Seattle or the Giants or NO.  But if I’m Atlanta I’m very intrigued with the fit.  That’s a trade that could be a win-win.  That offense could be dynamic with Fields.   And the Bears could get assets back.  

I’ve been reading many think the bears could get a second round pick for fields (assuming he plays well down the stretch). I believe there is a talented center projected to go in second round…that would be great if they land a franchise QB, beef up that o-line finally and maybe snag another quality edge rusher/receiver in draft.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Imagine Fields on Atlanta with some of their young weapons.  Or NE or Seattle or the Giants or NO.  But if I’m Atlanta I’m very intrigued with the fit.  That’s a trade that could be a win-win.  That offense could be dynamic with Fields.   And the Bears could get assets back.  

I believe he is from Georgia as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Trubisky is still the same as he ever was. Glad the colts are beating up Steelers.. not a fan of them, I’ve known way to many annoying steeler fans over the years.

I was at the game and damn there were tons of Squealer fans there. The most opposing fans I've seen at a game all season. They stopped waving those toilet towels so much in the 2nd half at least 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I am not a Bears fan, but fwiw Fields showed a lot of improvement once they got him some weapons. Specifically Moore, but with Kmet growing as well. If they draft wisely, and surround him with more talent, I would take Fields with 3 years experience under his belt before starting over with any of the quarterbacks slotted to be drafted in the 1st round this year. Do you, as Bears' fans, really want to go through the growing pains of another do over at quarterback? 

Get Fields either MHJr, or the next best receiver, and some O-line help and let him develop further.

That is my preference as well. I think Fields is good enough to win with, build around him. Definitely not sold on Caleb Williams. 

• Like 1

The NFL fined Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid and star quarterback Patrick Mahomes on Saturday for their critical comments on the officiating at the end of last Sunday's loss to the Buffalo Bills, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Reid received a $100,000 fine for publicly criticizing the officials, while Mahomes' $50,000 fine was due to unsportsmanlike conduct for abusive, threatening or insulting language to officials, plus publicly criticizing the referees, per Rapoport.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

The financial thing is the main reason I think they will move on from him. Restart the clock. I really would love to have MHJ matched up with D.J., but I am just not completely sold on Fields yet. I could most definitely see him succeeding someplace else with a competent OC, but like you said, can the Bears gamble 40 million a year on him?

So exercise Fields 5th-year option; you'll have two years to evaluate him with MHJ and DJM. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The NFL fined Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid and star quarterback Patrick Mahomes on Saturday for their critical comments on the officiating at the end of last Sunday's loss to the Buffalo Bills, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Reid received a $100,000 fine for publicly criticizing the officials, while Mahomes' $50,000 fine was due to unsportsmanlike conduct for abusive, threatening or insulting language to officials, plus publicly criticizing the referees, per Rapoport.

Good. I like those two, but they threw about as big of a fit I can ever remember being thrown over a call... and the call was demonstrably the correct call. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Good. I like those two, but they threw about as big of a fit I can ever remember being thrown over a call... and the call was demonstrably the correct call. 

Mahomes acted petulant and showed that he’s accustomed to the benefit of the whistle.   Hopefully it’s a one off for him.  But if he drifts down that path again, it’s going to start solidifying in his reputation.  I’ve always liked him.  What’s not to like?   But that was a horrible mistake.  

Reid too. He made no sense.  The receiver didn’t even check with the ref so whatever he was babbling about made no sense.  Wah wah the refs called it right and they should have ignored the rules of the sport in our favor!   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Then squander your one shot to get the first QB?  I would strike while the iron is hot and I’d be shocked if they didn’t.   They will have plenty of picks to get him talent.  

It's certainly a fair way to look at it.

My personal opinion is I've seen enough of Fields to say he definitely isn't a bust and he's improving. He's been put in a bad situation. I think if he keeps playing well to end the year it would be worth seeing him with a competent coaching staff and adding another weapon. 

Not including the game he got hurt, in his past five games he is averaging over 300 yards of offense, has 11 total TDs to 1 pick, and 67% completion. The Bears are 3-2 in that stretch and they scored 26 and 28 in the two losses. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

It's certainly a fair way to look at it.

My personal opinion is I've sene enough of Fields to say he definitely isn't a bust and he's improving. He's been put in a bad situation. I think if he keeps playing well to end the year it would be worth seeing him with a competent coaching staff and adding another weapon. 

Not including the game he got hurt, in his past five games he is averaging over 300 yards of offense, has 11 total TDs to 1 pick, and 67% completion. The Bears are 3-2 in that stretch and they scored 26 and 28 in the two losses. 

I agree with everything you said about his play.  Fields can win and be scary for any defense because of all the threats he brings. So it’s not the end of the world to keep him.  But Williams has a dynamism in the passing game that’s electric.  I’m concerned about his handling of pressure but that can be coached up.  I think he’s got a longer runway.  You get a rookie scale contract and his style of play might be more lasting.   

I think the risk that Williams becomes a top 6-8 QB is too high.  Imagine the Chicago market if that happens after they took an erratic and inaccurate Trubisky over Mahomes.  That scar tissue is still heavily in Chicago.  

• Like 1

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree with everything you said about his play.  Fields can win and be scary for any defense because of all the threats he brings. So it’s not the end of the world to keep him.  But Williams has a dynamism in the passing game that’s electric.  I’m concerned about his handling of pressure but that can be coached up.  I think he’s got a longer runway.  You get a rookie scale contract and his style of play might be more lasting.   

I think the risk that Williams becomes a top 6-8 QB is too high.  Imagine the Chicago market if that happens after they took an erratic and inaccurate Trubisky over Mahomes.  That scar tissue is still heavily in Chicago.  

I think that's completely fair. I honestly think it's realistic Fields does go on to have a good career elsewhere and Chicago is still happy they moved on from him. Fields to Atlanta as you mentioned earlier could be a really good spot - and it's home for him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think that's completely fair. I honestly think it's realistic Fields does go on to have a good career elsewhere and Chicago is still happy they moved on from him. Fields to Atlanta as you mentioned earlier could be a really good spot - and it's home for him. 

These are my feelings. I don’t dislike Fields, and he has shown improvement, but I’m not sure he will ever be in the upper echelon of QBs. I do think he can be a decent starter, but if the pundits/scouts are correct and more importantly, if the Bears organization feels like Caleb is a franchise QB, I think they would have to take him like @BobSaccamanno stated because it will restart the clock, and they have the capital to build around him. The bears as a team are improving and they have plenty of draft picks/cap space to be have a good team next year and definitely the year after. 

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

These are my feelings. I don’t dislike Fields, but and he has shown improvement, but I’m not sure he will ever be in the upper echelon of QBs. I do think he can be a decent starter, but if the pundits/scouts are correct and more importantly, if the Bears organization feels like Caleb is a franchise QB, I think they would have to take him like @BobSaccamanno stated because it will restart the clock, and they have the capital to build around him. The bears as a team are improving and they have plenty of draft picks/cap space to be have a good team next year and definitely the year after. 

Yeah you guys are making completely valid points. I can see why that would be the preferred path. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

They've long been rumored as the team who fits Fields the best but honestly Ridder is coming on. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, btownqb said:

Colts have bullied the Steelers 

Yep. Steichen has quickly developed a reputation as more scheme and tactical which is why I loved what he did yesterday. He and the line/rbs broke the will of that organization/team in 2nd half. Just kept pounding the ball and I loved every bit of it.

For the Colts to be 8-6 with everything they've had thrown at them this year. Phenomenal staff and players.

• Like 3