Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it isn't the "Big Dance", but Evansville is hosting the Division 2 elite eight with games starting today. What is significant is our USI Screamin' Eagles are in the tourney thanks to them beating their arch nemesis, Bellarmine.

The Eagles did win the Div. ll tourney when some guy named Bruce Pearl was the coach. Can the Eagles win another one again? Stay Tuned!!

16 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I know it isn't the "Big Dance", but Evansville is hosting the Division 2 elite eight with games starting today. What is significant is our USI Screamin' Eagles are in the tourney thanks to them beating their arch nemesis, Bellarmine.

The Eagles did win the Div. ll tourney when some guy named Bruce Pearl was the coach. Can the Eagles win another one again? Stay Tuned!!

Colt Ryan.  One of my most favorite Purple Aces players of all time. 

And then getting on the way back machine.  Jerry Sloan.  One of the game's greatest players of all time

15 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Anyone who competes at life whether it be family, career, sports, faith,etc.....regardless of the tourney or it's size....is always a good time to win the day. Hope Evansville brings it home!

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I have known Colt since he was about 7. Ultimate gym rat. He torched us for about 40 his jr year in high school 

Wow.  That is really neat to hear.

I did edit my post to add Jerry Sloan.  Just could not think of his name, till after I made my post.

Was a time when Evansville was highly regarded on the national scene.  And then of course there was the awful plane crash. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone who competes at life whether it be family, career, sports, faith,etc.....regardless of the tourney or it's size....is always a good time to win the day. Hope Evansville brings it home!

You have got that right !

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Wow.  That is really neat to hear.

I did edit my post to add Jerry Sloan.  Just could not think of his name, till after I made my post.

Was a time when Evansville was highly regarded on the national scene.  And then of course there was the awful plane crash. 

I got to play 1 game a year at Batesville and coached a lot of games there. Their announcer did it for 40 years or more very distinct voice and probably my favorite high school PA guy but the night Colt lit us up I was so sick of hearing him say Colt Ryan for 3

I'll toss an Evansville player name in: Craig Snow 97-01. Only D1 athlete I ever played against. Football, not basketball. I was a sophomore when he was a senior. I was covering a kickoff and he ran me over like roadkill lol. I think I got an assist for slowing him down a little.

58 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'll toss an Evansville player name in: Craig Snow 97-01. Only D1 athlete I ever played against. Football, not basketball. I was a sophomore when he was a senior. I was covering a kickoff and he ran me over like roadkill lol. I think I got an assist for slowing him down a little.

My brother has a nephew who was probably the Aces last QB for their now defunct Aces football team.....

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Seventh seeded USI upsets the #2 seed 94-84 to go to the Div II final four.

That was fun, you guys motivated me go look up the D2 bracket. My alma mater lost in the Sweet Sixteen last year, and just looked at the bracket and my wife’s alma mater (from the same conference I played in) was a #1 seem this year but looks like they got upset in the Sweet Sixteen. 

17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Seventh seeded USI upsets the #2 seed 94-84 to go to the Div II final four.

Awwwright!!!! Go Eagles!!!!

I'll bet the crowd was jumpin' at the Ford Center!!!

Just pulled this from one of our local stations

"A record 7,330 fans were on-hand, making it the largest attended quarterfinal or semifinal Elite Eight game. It is also the second largest crowd for a Division II tournament game."

I went to USI when Pearl was there. We were regularly ranked in top 10. Great ball games. Hope they win! Maybe playing IU prepared them for greatness lol. Glad to see they are back at the top again. Back then we could have beaten U of E....but of course Pearl was pretty shady...bringing in guys that flunked/kicked out of Michigan etc....I’ve hoped we would eventually make div 1 but I don’t think enough powers in the city etc want another div 1 school competing against UE. Anyways Go Eagles!

On 3/27/2019 at 8:41 PM, dgambill said:

I went to USI when Pearl was there. We were regularly ranked in top 10. Great ball games. Hope they win! Maybe playing IU prepared them for greatness lol. Glad to see they are back at the top again. Back then we could have beaten U of E....but of course Pearl was pretty shady...bringing in guys that flunked/kicked out of Michigan etc....I’ve hoped we would eventually make div 1 but I don’t think enough powers in the city etc want another div 1 school competing against UE. Anyways Go Eagles!

Both of my kids graduated from USI so I am a little partial to them...…..

And yes Go Eagles!!!

Archived