Knight on Jordan

3 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Indiana’s Bob Knight Knew What Michael Jordan Was Capable of Before Almost Anyone Else

Espn had a chance to dive into the critique as something that drove Jordan to be better, they didn't.  Also, didn"t cover the two non championship seasons at UNC.....of course I would of liked to see a reference to his last college game.  

I do wonder why all the UNC highlights and leaving out part of the story.  

8 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Indiana’s Bob Knight Knew What Michael Jordan Was Capable of Before Almost Anyone Else

Haven't watched the first episodes of documentary yet. I'll probably binge at some point. Here's the thing about Jordan. I think Jordan loved playing for Coach because it was only a month long....and I always believed Knight loved coaching Jordan because he is the greatest ever.....but at some point if Jordan was an IU player he and Knight would have had their fallout. 

Look forward to watching it at some point. Still remains my favorite time of NBA. Lakers/Celtics of 80's leading to Detroit's time followed by Knicks/Pacers rivalries but all teams bowed down to Jordan once he finally figured out team basketball in the NBA.

Jordan was great in the NBA and really good in college. But not the greatest in either.

I don't see how anyone can say he was better at the college level than Jabbar.  Not only did he win 3 titles, his teams went 80-2, and they changed the rules to prevent dunking because he was that dominant. Jordan has one title and, as IU fans will always remember,  was relatively locked down by DD in the tourney.

I can also argue even at the pro level Jabbar was as good, if not better.

Both with 6 titles. Jabbar is the all-time scoring leader and top 3 in rebounds and blocks. Jordan is #5 in scoring and top 3 in steals. Yes, Jabbar played more but wouldn't longevity and consistency be another positive for Jabbar in this debate? Jordan left to pursue baseball. That's on him.

The other thing that comes to mind is who Jabbar played against through his career. I don't think Jordan had a real nemesis that could compete with him and outside of a couple seasons by Detroit, his teams were never really pushed once they started winning titles. Had their been no Larry Bird Celtics, Jabbar would have at least one if not two more titles and they also played a couple strong Sixers teams. Jordan just didn't have that kind of challenge. He beat a broken down Lakers team after Jabbar already retired for his first title and a cast of next level down competitors when you look at Barkley, Malone, Drexler and Kemp led teams. None of those teams won a title.

7 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Espn had a chance to dive into the critique as something that drove Jordan to be better, they didn't.  Also, didn"t cover the two non championship seasons at UNC.....of course I would of liked to see a reference to his last college game.  

I do wonder why all the UNC highlights and leaving out part of the story.  

Wait, you mean Jordan actually lost games? Like, ever? How could the greatest ever lose a freaking college tournament game? 

All joking aside, pretty sure the president of ESPN is a UNC grad. They wouldn't touch the UNC fake class scandal with a 10 foot pole while the investigation dragged on, but had no problem throwing it in everyone's face when the hapless NCAA finally succumbed. So it doesn't surprise me they would dodge the years UNC didn't win it all. 

6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I have always, heard kot knowing if it is true, that Coach Knight is the one that taught Jordan about the value of using a screen to get open?  

What would Dean Smith of been like if he didn't recruit the way he did?

And as a couple others (namely IUFLA) said a month or so ago in different thread.....Dean Smith was a bad Fred Brown pass and Chris Webber snafu from never winning a title. 

In a time when the country is desperate for anything sports related. Ratings are out for last night. Numbers came in at 40% of what is a normal finals game. If that doesn't scream cord cutting and ESPN's model isn't working not sure what does. They should have this on ABC too for the antenna folks.

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And as a couple others (namely IUFLA) said a month or so ago in different thread.....Dean Smith was a bad Fred Brown pass and Chris Webber snafu from never winning a title. 

I read the Carolina Way and he seemed like a wonderfull CEO, a Calipari type.  He got talent and knew the 4 corners(ha).

59 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I read the Carolina Way and he seemed like a wonderfull CEO, a Calipari type.  He got talent and knew the 4 corners(ha).

One of my favorite comments I've ever heard. Was having beers down at Plump's last shot and he was hanging out with us. He said it was always funny about the 4 corners. Dean invented it in the 70's and 80's.....but he let us borrow it in the early 50's.

Saw something that was brought up on twitter and curious what we think here, so Bobby Knight said in 1984 that Jordan was the greatest player he has ever seen play and Isiah Thomas last year at IU was 1981. Do you Isiah might have taken that as somewhat of a slight and perhaps planted the seeds a little for the Isiah/Jordan feud? Obviously all of those Pistons/Bulls games are what really made the rivalry spark but there have been comments about Isiah's insane competitive edge too (probably why people have hinted MJ wasn't the only member of the Dream Team that didn't like him) which could make me see it leaving at least a bit of an impact on him. Obviously, all speculation on whether he cared or even heard of the quote, but curious what you all thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the Knight/Jordan relationship?  I been intrested in the Isiah Dream Team thing.  Apparently, Knight rode Jordan? So much he didnt want to do the Dream Team because of that experience?  They had to assure him it would not be the same?  

Interesting if true .....

10 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Does anyone know the Knight/Jordan relationship?  I been intrested in the Isiah Dream Team thing.  Apparently, Knight rode Jordan? So much he didnt want to do the Dream Team because of that experience?  They had to assure him it would not be the same?  

Interesting if true .....

Knight has always loved Jordan. Knight believed in amateur sports i.e. Olympics.....my guess is he didn't believe in the dream team. Of course there were a couple coaches and teams after Knight's 84 team that didn't win like he did. Can't remember the staff on those teams?? 

To your point though. Knight has always spoken positively about Jordan. 

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Knight has always loved Jordan. Knight believed in amateur sports i.e. Olympics.....my guess is he didn't believe in the dream team. Of course there were a couple coaches and teams after Knight's 84 team that didn't win like he did. Can't remember the staff on those teams?? 

To your point though. Knight has always spoken positively about Jordan. 

The recent quotes from the guy who put Dream Team together said in an interview that Jordan played for Knight on the Olympics and we had to asure him it won't be like that again.  Alot is coming out because of the Thomas/magic/Jordan thing.  

Archived