Semi OT : Greatest Athletes to Come out of the State of Indiana

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Fun lists. I guess I was a little surprised that Jeff Gordon was so high on the list yet Tony Stewart who was actually born and bred in Indiana was nowhere to be found? Thought Lilly King deserved a mention as well. 

Check the dates when written.  If put out more recently I'm sure Tony would have been up there.  His Nascar wins all came after 2000.  And yes Ms. King would definitely be high up on that list today.  Top 10 in my book.  Hard to argue World and Olympic records.  And she's not done. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

32 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Check the dates when written.  If put out more recently I'm sure Tony would have been up there.  His Nascar wins all came after 2000.  And yes Ms. King would definitely be high up on that list today.  Top 10 in my book.  Hard to argue World and Olympic records.  And she's not done. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

Yep. I looked for more recent links. But could not find any. Still thought this could lead to a good discussion topic.  I would add Lilly.  And perhaps Tyra Buss as well. Despite coming from Illinois.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yep. I looked for more recent links. But could not find any. Still thought this could lead to a good discussion topic.  I would add Lilly.  And perhaps Tyra Buss as well. Despite coming from Illinois.

There are lot of people on that list I hadn't heard of.  Good stuff.   I'd have included a guy named Steve Hamilton.  He played in the NBA with the Minneapolis Lakers for a couple years before switching sports and pitching in the majors until '72.   I think there's only been two guys play in the majors in both.

He grew up right down the street from my parents in Charlestown(although I think he was born in KY).   The little league baseball park is named after him(as is the street).  After he retired from baseball he eventually ended up back at Morehead State where he attended school and became the schools AD.  

I had some baseball cards of him with the Yankees when I was growing up.  It was pretty cool seeing my little towns name on the back.  I'd still have them today but I ended up giving them to Steve's son who happened to be visiting his grandma down the street.  I got his dad's autograph in exchange.

Sadly Steve passed away in his 60's of cancer.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

16 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

There are lot of people on that list I hadn't heard of.  Good stuff.   I'd have included a guy named Steve Hamilton.  He played in the NBA with the Minneapolis Lakers for a couple years before switching sports and pitching in the majors until '72.   I think there's only been two guys play in the majors in both.

He grew up right down the street from my parents in Charlestown(although I think he was born in KY).   The little league baseball park is named after him(as is the street).  After he retired from baseball he eventually ended up back at Morehead State where he attended school and became the schools AD.  

I had some baseball cards of him with the Yankees when I was growing up.  It was pretty cool seeing my little towns name on the back.  I'd still have them today but I ended up giving them to Steve's son who happened to be visiting his grandma down the street.  I got his dad's autograph in exchange.

Sadly Steve passed away in his 60's of cancer.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Nice story. Thanks for sharing. 

From the 50th greatest link. I am sure you may not know much of anything about the boxer... Tony Zale from Gary.  However, my dad knew him and would tell me stories about him and his family... who at one time ran an old fashioned bar in the section of Gary I grew up in.... the bar was named... no less than Zale's.  And then also on the list is Alex Karras. Who with his brother while in high school at Gary Emerson, would often come into my father's convenience store, in the Miller section of Gary. 

Blazing Saddles  Mongo  ( Alex Karras )Comes to Town 

31 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Nice story. Thanks for sharing. 

From the 50th greatest link. I am sure you may not know much of anything about the boxer... Tony Zale from Gary.  However, my dad knew him and would tell me stories about him and his family... who at one time ran an old fashioned bar in the section of Gary I grew up in.... the bar was named... no less than Zale's.  And then also on the list is Alex Karras. Who with his brother while in high school at Gary Emerson, would often come into my father's convenience store, in the Miller section of Gary. 

Blazing Saddles  Mongo  ( Alex Karras )Comes to Town 

Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite movies.  "Mongo just a pawn in this game called life".

Go Hoosiers!!!

22 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite movies.  "Mongo just a pawn in this game called life".

Go Hoosiers!!!

Then there isTom Harmon.  Grew up in Gary.  Gary Horace Mann high school. Starred at Michigan.  Son.... Mark. Who Mrs. mile is in love with.  NCIS. 

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The first list doesn't have George McGinnis on it?  Wasn't her born in Indianapolis?

Also, on the first list, there is no way Mattingly and Lofton should be ahead of Rolen.

The second list is a much better list IMO.

Big George... out of Indianapolis Washington. Along with Steve Downing.  I agree...the second list is better.  Yet as I said before.  Thought both links could lead to some good discussion. Considering the times we are experiencing.

Actually had the honor of meeting McGinnis when he played for the Nuggets.

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The first list doesn't have George McGinnis on it?  Wasn't her born in Indianapolis?

Also, on the first list, there is no way Mattingly and Lofton should be ahead of Rolen.

The second list is a much better list IMO.

Mattingly should def be ahead Rolen. The dude was THE player from 83-88 and put up 2 of the greatest seasons ever in 85 and 86. We agree on Lofton.

Now the baseball guy the first list misses on is Gil Hodges. And no mention of Alex Karras? He is one of the all-time greats of the 60s. Pretty much a joke of a list.

Archived