RIP HOF pitcher Bob Gibson..............(and almost Hoosier)

Many may not be aware of the story because it doesn't paint IU in the best light, but Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Gibson was a great basketball player and wanted to play for IU.  I remember being in Jr, High and doing a report on Gibson and his legendary feats.  He was a FIERCE competitor who once pitched with a broken leg.  He was feared by competitors, but was an outstanding teammate.  I had the good fortune of meeting him once in the mid 90s at a Peoria Braves baseball game.  He was kind and gracious, and should've been a Hoosier.

https://thegruelingtruth.com/basketball/college-basketball/bob-gibson-could-have-played-basketball-for-the-indiana-hoosiers/

WOW !  HoosierfaninIllinois and I  were just talking today about Gibson via p.m.  He messaged me first. We talked bout how he could have come to IU.... but was told that they would not let him enter.  I had no idea  at the time, that Gibson had passed.  But the way,  I hope he does not mind sharing.... that HoosierfaninIllinois is hunkered down in Mexico.... with a tropical storm approaching.  Say a pray with me for his safety for him and his family.

MLB remembers Hall of Famer and legend Bob Gibson 

Micky Mantle used to tell a story about Gibson, (surely embellished), in which a teammate in the dug out said "Did you see that?  Gibson just threw at Bobby (Richardson)."  To which Micky replied "Big deal, Gibson throws at everybody."  And the teammate replied "Yeah, but Bobby was in the on-deck circle!"

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Micky Mantle used to tell a story about Gibson, (surely embellished), in which a teammate in the dug out said "Did you see that?  Gibson just threw at Bobby (Richardson)."  To which Micky replied "Big deal, Gibson throws at everybody."  And the teammate replied "Yeah, but Bobby was in the on-deck circle!"

Mickey Mantle demoted and Bob Gibson breaks his leg on July 15th 

Archived