Been watching some old games on YouTube

IU Scott

I have the YouTube App on my Xfinity cable and have watched some tournament games from 87 and 92.  I just can't believe how much of a difference there is between the game then than what it is now.  I blame a lot of it on all the new metrics that says every shot needs to be a  layup or a 3.  Back then you actually had post players who was comfortable with their back to the basket.  On the 87 team you had 3 guys who could post up and score with a good turn around shot from the baseline in Thomas, Garrett and Calloway.  What else I noticed was those guys new what to do with the ball before the got it and they would just spin and go to a turn around shot off the baseline.  I just think taking ths part of the game out and not having your players shoot that 10 to 15 foot shot from the baseline or the key takes the beauty of the game away.

To all of our younger fans do yourself a favor and fine some of these games and see what a beautiful game basketball can be if you play it the right way.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have the YouTube App on my Xfinity cable and have watched some tournament games from 87 and 92.  I just can't believe how much of a difference there is between the game then than what it is now.  I blame a lot of it on all the new metrics that says every shot needs to be a  layup or a 3.  Back then you actually had post players who was comfortable with their back to the basket.  On the 87 team you had 3 guys who could post up and score with a good turn around shot from the baseline in Thomas, Garrett and Calloway.  What else I noticed was those guys new what to do with the ball before the got it and they would just spin and go to a turn around shot off the baseline.  I just think taking ths part of the game out and not having your players shoot that 10 to 15 foot shot from the baseline or the key takes the beauty of the game away.

To all of our younger fans do yourself a favor and fine some of these games and see what a beautiful game basketball can be if you play it the right way.

I recently found myself rewatching all of the games from the tourney run with Mike Davis. Definitely takes me back, and it’s a fun exercise.

While I do agree with you to some degree,  I’m not sure there really is a “right way” to play the game. If the style is effective, who are you or I to judge? You may prefer one style, but I don’t think you can really make the argument that it’s better-it’s a subjective decision. The game evolves. 25 years from now I’m sure it will look totally different. Doesn’t make it better or worse.

I've got both the IU NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP Games on DVD { from 1976 and 1987 } that I received as a Christmas GIFT while I was living in Washington , Indiana ! Best  Christmas Gift that I have ever received ! When I get depressed about INDIANA BASKETBALL [ current edition] I watch those TWO DVD's again to refresh my memory about WINNING IU HOOPS  !! It is AWESOME !! They will never TAKE THOSE FIVE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS from us ! Unfortunately , I have only seen Four of those FIVE NCAA TiTLE GAMES [ LIVE ] as I was just a twinkle in my father's eye when IU WON the FIRST TITLE IN 1940 !!! I'm hoping that I'll still be ALIVE when Archie puts # 6 up in ASSEMBLY HALL !! You've GOTTA BELIEVE !!

Another thing I  noticed watching all of these older games is that some of the coaches did not sub as much as they do today.  One game in 87 RMK only used three subs for a total of 8 minutes so the starters played the rest of the game.  I don't know why coaches think they have to sub more today than they use to but to me I don't like playing a lot of players.  Maybe it has something to do with making sure all the players are happy and won't leave.  With the players being in a lot better condition you would think today's players could log longer minutes but they seem to tire in about 3 minutes.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing I  noticed watching all of these older games is that some of the coaches did not sub as much as they do today.  One game in 87 RMK only used three subs for a total of 8 minutes so the starters played the rest of the game.  I don't know why coaches think they have to sub more today than they use to but to me I don't like playing a lot of players.  Maybe it has something to do with making sure all the players are happy and won't leave.  With the players being in a lot better condition you would think today's players could log longer minutes but they seem to tire in about 3 minutes.

It could have something to do with the shot clock?  I dunno, but I know exactly what you are saying.

You typically see benches tighten in big games and in March. We did it against ND. You expand the rotation when you can to keep guys fresh all year and to gain experience for your bench. 

Archie seems to have a good handle on this, Crean (not trying to bash him) didn't seem to grasp the idea of tightening the bench when he needed to. 

You should play your starters as few minutes as possible and as many as necessary. 

4 hours ago, rico said:

No they were not, but that '87 team wasn't very deep.  Pretty much played 7 guys.

That is my point and wonder why coaches today feel like they need to play 10 guys in their rotation. I like the trend that Cam is shortening the rotations but most of college basketball seems to rotate guys in every couple of minutes.  I know when I played I did not like coming out after just a few minutes because you never get in a rhythm by playing a few minutes and then going out.

Archived