Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Did he say regular season?

I noticed you thought my comment about being closer to 20 wins than 30 was funny. Do you honestly think we'll be anywhere close to 30 wins next year? We've had 4 teams in our program history reach that mark. The Cody Zeller teams won 27 and 29 with two NBA lottery picks in the starting lineup. In a normal year, this roster probably translates to around 18-20 wins. Adding Joey Brunk and Parker Stewart isn't resulting in 10 more wins. 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

nah.  we were 6-23 from 3.  i don't want to see us shoot more 3s.  

But we need more than 8...which is all we shot against Illinois. There weren’t a lot of bad shots from there today. I mean Armaan had several wide wide open looks. Gotta think we hit those next game.

21 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

I know one thing I’ve noticed with this offense is that guys don’t cut with the intent of getting the ball. So many times a guy cuts across the baseline and would have a shot if the ball was passed to them but they only run the “play”. The offense is just too scripted for my liking

Kinda to your point I hate that guys catch the ball and never even look at the rim or have no intention of shooting or taking it to the basket. So many times we are catching the ball with our mind made up to then dribble it back out and reverse it. I loved the jumper Race knocked down but that shot was there for him all night. I just want guys to be aware because too often they catch the ball open and if they are being aggressive can get themselves an open look or can take it to the paint and open it up for someone else....instead we almost search out someone to guard us.

5 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I noticed you thought my comment about being closer to 20 wins than 30 was funny. Do you honestly think we'll be anywhere close to 30 wins next year? We've had 4 teams in our program history reach that mark. The Cody Zeller teams won 27 and 29 with two NBA lottery picks in the starting lineup. In a normal year, this roster probably translates to around 18-20 wins. Adding Joey Brunk and Parker Stewart isn't resulting in 10 more wins. 

Yes, I think it's funny to say we will be closer to 20 than 30 at the end of the year next year if TJD comes back. 

I don't think those two are worth 10 wins, but I think a full season and postseason this team is 20+ and those two, plus development from all the freshman and everyone else gets us 26+. 

22 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

I know one thing I’ve noticed with this offense is that guys don’t cut with the intent of getting the ball. So many times a guy cuts across the baseline and would have a shot if the ball was passed to them but they only run the “play”. The offense is just too scripted for my liking

There are several little things that I would list as hampering our offense, and this is one of them:

- not cutting hard or with intent, but add on to that the fact that we walk in to each set...we give the defense 10-15 seconds off every possession

- our guards and bigs do no slide to the open spot on the floor to make the other team pay for helping

- I really don't like the spacing of our second big man...if we slid the second big to the short corner it would open up a lot of opportunities for easy dump off passes 

- we do not pass on time or on target, I am not sure if it is a confidence issue, but we do not put the ball where it needs to be and when it needs to be there, even when the play is designed to go to that player...on this one, our freshmen/underclassmen are considerably better at this than our upperclassmen

11 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

There are several little things that I would list as hampering our offense, and this is one of them:

- not cutting hard or with intent, but add on to that the fact that we walk in to each set...we give the defense 10-15 seconds off every possession

- our guards and bigs do no slide to the open spot on the floor to make the other team pay for helping

- I really don't like the spacing of our second big man...if we slid the second big to the short corner it would open up a lot of opportunities for easy dump off passes 

- we do not pass on time or on target, I am not sure if it is a confidence issue, but we do not put the ball where it needs to be and when it needs to be there, even when the play is designed to go to that player...on this one, our freshmen/underclassmen are considerably better at this than our upperclassmen

Good points...can I add we set the worst screens in college basketball...it was somewhat better today but over the whole season it’s been terrible. It’s like our guys are scared to get a moving screen called against them so they don’t even try....and don’t get me started on how our guards use the screen...don’t even try to rub up against it.

39 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

Somebody (I think it was Seth Greenberg) said back when we played Texas, that Texas ran its offense looking to score, while Indiana just runs its offense. It's been that way all season, and a big reason why our games are so hard to watch. 

So then what does it say about this team when the starting guards are 4-26 from the floor, we miss 16 layups (went back and looked at the play by play) and we still won?

Defense, rebounding (out boarded them 44-36 including 15 offensive boards) didn't turn it over (9)...

That indicates a toughness, both mentally and physically...Especially at the end of the game...we could have hung our heads after a tough day, but we didn't...

16 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Right on. There were 2-3 times today that passes to Leal was off target.  I was thinking: just get the ball to his hands and he can get the shot off. 

I didn't see the game thread, but I'm sure people were screaming about the offense early in the game, but the offense was perfectly fine, the guys just needed to make plays. 

That first 7 minutes where we only had 4 points, Phinisee missed a wide open 3, Phinisee missed a wide open layup, TJD missed a very makeable 5ft left hook in the middle of the paint, TJD missed 2 free throws and Durham missed a wide open foul line jump shot. 

That was all in the first 6-7 minutes, and it wasn't the offense, it was the execution. 

If Archie gets the time to improve our guard play, I think the complaints about offense will go away. 

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I didn't see the game thread, but I'm sure people were screaming about the offense early in the game, but the offense was perfectly fine, the guys just needed to make plays. 

That first 7 minutes where we only had 4 points, Phinisee missed a wide open 3, Phinisee missed a wide open layup, TJD missed a very makeable 5ft left hook in the middle of the paint, TJD missed 2 free throws and Durham missed a wide open foul line jump shot. 

That was all in the first 6-7 minutes, and it wasn't the offense, it was the execution. 

If Archie gets the time to improve our guard play, I think the complaints about offense will go away. 

I agree with this and would add that we tend to over penetrate...we must have gotten six shots blocked in the first fifteen minutes of the game...If would simply pivot out of trouble and find the guard who has filled in behind on the three point line, we would really start to pick teams apart...

I will say, the last two weeks we have been better utilizing the skip and finding the replacement on the Pick and Roll...better with the ball in the lane as well....

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There were also a couple drives we probably got fouled that led to easy buckets on the other end. You're correct people were screaming in a predictable fashion; I just never got the feeling Iowa had an edge on us today even when we were down ten. 

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So then what does it say about this team when the starting guards are 4-26 from the floor, we miss 16 layups (went back and looked at the play by play) and we still won?

Defense, rebounding (out boarded them 44-36 including 15 offensive boards) didn't turn it over (9)...

That indicates a toughness, both mentally and physically...Especially at the end of the game...we could have hung our heads after a tough day, but we didn't...

Lots you could take from that...our starting backcourt shouldn’t start for one...our freshman saved our butts today....we would have been down 15-20 at half without them....we do fight on defense...it keeps us in games...but in the end those 4 buckets came at huge times at the end of the game mostly...and if we are going to do anything this year our seniors/backcourt have have have to step up!! Not going to win many games like this without them showing up for 35 mins. Our freshman can only be expected to do so much...we honestly shouldn’t have to depend on them like this. If we ever do get it all together we will be a tough out.

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Early on I was upset with our defensive effort mostly. Gave up some easy 3 pt looks to Bohannon and Wisekamp and Mccaffery I believe on mostly lazy defense/switches by our bigs. That said I was pretty ticked by us not finishing for sure. I think the biggest complaints by most was Archie sticking with our starters too long and going back to that lineup to start the 2md half. It just is what Archie does...kind of expect it...but made many angry the horrible plus minus our starting backcourt had yet we continue to push big mins for them. In the end we had the right guys on the court come finishing time and I give Archie tons of credit for not calling a time out on the last play and giving Iowa a chance to set their defense. Plus giving the ball to Armaan in the middle of the court to make a play brilliant...spacing was excellent. Glad we learned our lessons from so many poor finishes.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Somebody (I think it was Seth Greenberg) said back when we played Texas, that Texas ran its offense looking to score, while Indiana just runs its offense. It's been that way all season, and a big reason why our games are so hard to watch. 

So true.  It’s because CAM scripts so much. He won’t allow the team to play the game.  

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There were also a couple drives we probably got fouled that led to easy buckets on the other end. You're correct people were screaming in a predictable fashion; I just never got the feeling Iowa had an edge on us today even when we were down ten. 

Oh I thought we were in deep doo doo early. Come on..I mean the freshman really came in and bailed us out. Helped Garza got in foul trouble or I don’t think we go on that late run. I can’t think anyone was feeling good about that hole we dug ourselves and the way the starters were playing. We were lucky the freshman gave us some big mins. If they played like true freshman today we would have got boat raced.

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Personally, I hate that our program has reached a point where fans get so excited about beating any ranked team. 

Well I’m excited because it means our season is still alive...and yes that is scary and disappointing that any games are make or break for us at this point. We should be fighting for seeding not fighting to get in.

Damn watching Leary and Coyle  post game and how they are bitching you thought we had lost.  They are talking like a lot of us were early in the second.  Leary for 15 minutes is ripping Archie for starting the same guys in the second half.  They seem like they can't enjoy a win

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh I thought we were in deep doo doo early. Come on..I mean the freshman really came in and bailed us out. Helped Garza got in foul trouble or I don’t think we go on that late run. I can’t think anyone was feeling good about that hole we dug ourselves and the way the starters were playing. We were lucky the freshman gave us some big mins. If they played like true freshman today we would have got boat raced.

I honestly wasn't worried - nothing about the start of that game was sustainable. 5-5 three isn't sustainable. Continuing to get easy looks because of no calls on the other end isn't likely to sustain throughout the game (calls tend to even out in most games). 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Damn watching Leary and Coyle  post game and how they are bitching you thought we had lost.  They are talking like a lot of us were early in the second.  Leary for 15 minutes is ripping Archie for starting the same guys in the second half.  They seem like they can't enjoy a win

Leary's photo is on the wall of the Hoosier Hall of Shame.  He's below Dakich because of that, in my book.  Don't have much use for him any longer. 

Archived