Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

Trilly said a few days ago that he didn't think IU would make a move unless they had a proven HC lined up. Trilly also just said this morning that if IU moves on from Woodson that he believes Pearl would be the top target. I think Dolson wants Pearl at IU similar to how he want Cignetti at IU. 

That doesn’t mean Dolson has actually reached out though. I hope that part is true. Pearl could turn it around fast. 

• Like 3

Just now, RoadToZion said:

That doesn’t mean Dolson has actually reached out though. I hope that part is true. Pearl could turn it around fast. 

Dolson started contacting coaches last week to gauge interest. Trilly confirmed that and then said Pearl was one of the coaches contacted. It's true. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

You can doubt it but it happened and Trilly confirmed it

All due respect, but it’s coaching search rumors like this that I take with a thousand grains of salt. Even if it’s coming from Trilly.

if this really is the case, then Pearl isn’t interested and his camp leaked the info. 

At this stage in the season, this info would be too sensitive for any source to leak if the interest was mutual. 

if a source is saying this then it’s probably pure speculation. 

That said, I do appreciate you sharing the rumor. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

All due respect, but it’s coaching search rumors like this that I take with a thousand grains of salt. Even if it’s coming from Trilly.

if this really is the case, then Pearl isn’t interested and his camp leaked the info. 

At this stage in the season, this info would be too sensitive for any source to leak if the interest was mutual. 

Pearl has been interested in the IU job for 15 years.  It’s nothing new.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

That’s not how Trilly gets his info. Pearl’s camp didn’t leak the info for a raise or anything like that.

33 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Some of my fellow fans like to point out that many teams and coaches have down years and they are 100% right. But in those cases a down year is not performing up to the program's expectations. Those teams still have an identity and foundation to fall back on. They still may perform well in some aspects of the game, giving the coach only a few things to clean up on in the off-season, which ultimately gets the program back on track.

There's been lots of pointing to MSU as having a down year, but right now they're looking like they're going to have a better year this year than we did last year in a good year. That's the difference.

• Like 4

Just now, DC2345 said:

That’s not how Trilly gets his info. Pearl’s camp didn’t leak the info for a raise or anything like that.

Again, everything is speculation, but I've heard from a few places that this is exactly what Holtmann's agent did to us last coaching search.

The agent reached out to IU and asked if they wanted to talk to Holtmann. IU said 'sure'. The agent leaked the info that Holtman was being interviewed, but didn't want the job and then our fanbase wanted to hang ourselves because we weren't even good enough for Holtmann. And then Holtmann's agent parlayed this into a contract extension. Great move, considering how the last 3 years unfolded. 

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Again, everything is speculation, but I've heard from a few places that this is exactly what Holtmann's agent did to us last coaching search.

The agent reached out to IU and asked if they wanted to talk to Holtmann. IU said 'sure'. The agent leaked the info that Holtman was being interviewed, but didn't want the job and then our fanbase wanted to hang ourselves because we weren't even good enough for Holtmann. And then Holtmann's agent parlayed this into a contract extension. Great move, considering how the last 3 years unfolded. 

That was a completely different situation. Apples and oranges 

29 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Pearl would be a dream come true right now. I don’t care how old he is. 

Agreed, as the saying goes, “beggars can’t be choosers.” If he’s the best Coach available, you take him and worry about the longevity later. 1-2 good seasons can completely change a program. 

• Like 1

If random people on a message board know this Pearl stuff, then of course Woodson knows. So he already knows his fate? I don’t buy it. I don’t care who “trilly” is, there’s no way that Dolson reached out. Unless woody is okay with it and said he’s stepping down. Which I highly doubt. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

If random people on a message board know this Pearl stuff, then of course Woodson knows. So he already knows his fate? I don’t buy it. I don’t care who “trilly” is, there’s no way that Dolson reached out. Unless woody is okay with it and said he’s stepping down. Which I highly doubt. 

Dolson isnt calling anyone, he maybe knows a guy to make that call but he isnt doing it.

3 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I've always wanted Beard, but Pearl would be just fine. Recruiting wouldn't even take a hit I don't believe...

I would probably prefer Pearl because of the optics but Beard is younger so it would help with longevity/stability. 

Beard is probably the best/most realistic chance we have because of Pearl’s buyout. I don’t see any other coach risking the comfort of their current gig to come here unless we provide a massive pay increase (Drew, Muss, Few, Oats, etc.)

With Beard’s controversy, as the sayings go, “Time heals all wounds” and “winning cures all”. 

He had this to say about Bob Knight when he passed away:

"Besides my father, no one's had more impact on my life than Bob Knight””… [Pat and Bob Knight] took a chance on me as a junior college coach in 2000. They not only gave me an opportunity, but empowered me and gave me the confidence to know that I can coach and win at this level. He means the world.

His commitment to academics, is instilled in his college basketball. No one really talks about that anymore with the [NIL], the pressure for coaches and players to win, and the microscope of social media. But it's college athletics. It's still about college and getting guys degrees. Coach had basically a 100 percent or 98.9 [graduation rate], which is unparalleled over a 40-plus year career at three different institutions - Army, Indiana, and Texas Tech.

I'm so proud to be associated with Coach Knight..I hope in some way he enjoys watching our teams play here at Ole Miss. We'll honor him in every way we can."

Quotes like that give me faith he would be on his absolute best behavior and not do anything stupid to jeopardize the relationship he has with the Knight family and the program he built. Also gives me faith he would work his ass off for Knight. 

• Like 4