Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

I can't imagine that Scott Dolson really wants to keep up this charade. Especially if this wasn't the coach he chose. He was pretty disgusted with the Archie Miller and Tom Allen results. I imagine this decision comes from above his pay grade. Hopefully he can convince the powers to be that it's a bad move to keep Woodson.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Names that I’ve heard mentioned as guys IU could or will pursue if they enter the portal include Thornton, Pope from Oregon State, and Blackmon.

Found this interesting...

13:29 - OTHER PROGRAMS ALREADY CONTACTING BRUCE THORNTON'S MOM
Given the fact that other programs would get in trouble for tampering if they contacted Ohio State’s players because no Ohio State players have entered the transfer portal yet, Craft said that teams from across the country are finding ways to contact Thornton's family rather than Bruce himself.

"Talking to Bruce yesterday after practice, I completely underestimated this kind of fallout with the way college basketball is now," Craft said. "Other coaches, other programs can't talk to him specifically, but he said from the moment rumors went out that Holtmann was going to get fired – so like a 40-hour window – his mom was on the phone non-stop talking to X program or X coach and trying to figure out what Bruce was trying to think about doing." 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Did I miss Leal?  I mean who wouldn't use a scholarship on that guy?  Unless he's launching his real estate empire in and around Indy and he's going to freaking Butler.  

He's not planning on playing another year last I heard

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Found this interesting...

13:29 - OTHER PROGRAMS ALREADY CONTACTING BRUCE THORNTON'S MOM
Given the fact that other programs would get in trouble for tampering if they contacted Ohio State’s players because no Ohio State players have entered the transfer portal yet, Craft said that teams from across the country are finding ways to contact Thornton's family rather than Bruce himself.

"Talking to Bruce yesterday after practice, I completely underestimated this kind of fallout with the way college basketball is now," Craft said. "Other coaches, other programs can't talk to him specifically, but he said from the moment rumors went out that Holtmann was going to get fired – so like a 40-hour window – his mom was on the phone non-stop talking to X program or X coach and trying to figure out what Bruce was trying to think about doing." 

Now that right there is a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

The parlay odds on that would be like 1 in 2 trillion chance.  

On those specific coaches yes, but those schools all going and making big-time hires or retaining their big times coaches is not nearly as long of odds. 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

One thing to consider, and I don't generally like making personnel decisions as a result of what others are doing, but there is a world where we are surrounded by:

Painter at PU

Billy Donovan at UL

Chris Beard at UM

Nate Oates at OSU

Brad Underwood at UI

Calipari at UK

Izzo at MSU

That would be a tough situation to walk into for a guy like Dusty May in March/April 2025. Again, not saying we need to be reactive to other openings and who they may hire, but I don't think it should be ignored.

As someone wisely pointed out when we hired Woody, he is our version of Juwan Howard and Thad Matta was his Martelli. Let's not follow the folly of Michigan and wait to long to act. 

Sounds like Sean Miller is a done deal to Ohio St.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

The consistent problem is a lack of recruiting true shooters. Prior to McNeeley IU hasn't landed a guy that was a true shooter with a legitimate track record as a shooter since Kopp. Prior to him it was all the way back to when Crean was the Coach. 

So you are saying Woodson and Archie suck at recruiting. We knew that.

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

Is that your “What if I told you?…” lol

No. That guy said "it's a done deal"----- when it's clearly NOT an actual done deal lol

The kid has NOT signed on the dotted line, so it cannot be considered "done"... I hope that was reasonably understandable to read. 

11 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Tip from another forum about cheap tix on StubHub, so I took a look. $4 seats. Lower level. 😳

Seat Geek has $1 tickets in the balcony. There are $2 and $3 tickets in the lower bowl. This has never happened. Wow

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Omg-- you can sit 21st row-- 2 tickets--- $50 total. 😳

honestly, I wish i was in the area, i would grab those tickets immediately and go enjoy AH.  I haven't been to a game there since i was a kid and that was like 35 years ago.  I have wanted to go back so many times, just easier to drive the 1h15 up to Iowa city and watch in Carver.

• Like 5