Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

I'm anticipating another busy carousel cycle with a litany of sitting head coaches having their names attached to high-major jobs. Some will parlay this into bigger contracts, but as another prominent coach told me last week, "I think there could be some names on the move this year that would shock you."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/court-report-auburns-bruce-pearl-could-be-coaching-carousel-target-ken-pomeroy-should-be-in-hall-of-fame/

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

3) Fire Cliff Marshall. I am tired of seeing before and after pictures of the players. He has been here 7 years and the shooting has been horrible including free throw shooting. We also have a lot of I juries during this time as well. Not blaming him solely but it is time for a change and try something different.

Let's fire Tim Garl too.. players aren't returning from these injuries caused by our strength and conditioning program fast enough 🙄

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Let's fire Tim Garl too.. players aren't returning from these injuries caused by our strength and conditioning program fast enough 🙄

And those kids that mop up the court with a towel... Can them too... Christ, haven't they seen those cool, round Swiffer mops everybody else has? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If Woodson is coming back there has to be some stipulations on some changes that needs to be made.

1) We need to upgrade or start a front office type staff for recruiting and the portal.

2) Make a change in the coaching staff, fire Hunter. Ya and the other coach have been the better recruiters. Need to bring in an assistant with former college HC experience. Need a player developer and a good teacher if the game.

3) Fire Cliff Marshall. I am tired of seeing before and after pictures of the players. He has been here 7 years and the shooting has been horrible including free throw shooting. We also have a lot of I juries during this time as well. Not blaming him solely but it is time for a change and try something different.

4) Change the type of players you are recruiting and look at players who actually know how to play the game. Just don't recruit for athletic traits and star ratings.

5) Get a more modern approach to the game on the offensive side of court. Recruit shooters and actually get them good looks and stop putting them in the corners.

What is funny about this post. You see NFL coaches having to make staff changes to keep their jobs all the time. The Colts told Jim Mora to fire DC Vic Fangio and he refused. After that the Colts fired Mora. You can't just bring everything back the same because what is being done isn't worked for 3 years.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What is funny about this post. You see NFL coaches having to make staff changes to keep their jobs all the time. The Colts told Jim Mora to fire DC Vic Fangio and he refused. After that the Colts fired Mora. You can't just bring everything back the same because what is being done isn't worked for 3 years.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You have to make some changes because what we have seen isn't working.

I don't disagree with that at all. Changes need to be made on the staff for sure, but could you imagine...

Woodson: "We realized that things aren't working and have decided to make some changes. We're replacing our strength and conditioning coach. Next question..."

The HSN server would crash because of how ridiculous and irrelevant that move would be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I don't disagree with that at all. Changes need to be made on the staff for sure, but could you imagine...

Woodson: "We realized that things aren't working and have decided to make some changes. We're replacing our strength and conditioning coach. Next question..."

The HSN server would crash because of how ridiculous and irrelevant that move would be.

Plus firing Hunter and bringing in new front office people to help with the portal and recruiting.

9 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

How is the the strength coach irrelevant since we all see his work all summer. If he is irrelevant then why show all of the videos of guys working out and showing before and after pictures. He hasn't helped with winning so try something different in this position.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How is the the strength coach irrelevant since we all see his work all summer. If he is irrelevant then why show all of the videos of guys working out and showing before and after pictures. He hasn't helped with winning so try something different in this position.

His resume before being hired by Archie was primarily preparing players for the NFL Combine. Made a big deal about how many of his clients set Combine records. How does that prepare basketball players for a season?

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You have to make some changes because what we have seen isn't working.

Dolson needs to tell Woodson they’re hiring Tim “the shot doctor” Buckley from S Carolina. He developed so many shooters under Crean. 

“Last season, Zeisloft had the second highest offensive rating of any player in the country, according to KenPom.com. He shot 45 percent on 3-pointers, including 51.4 percent in Big Ten play.”

“He’s not the only guy who has experienced major improvements in shooting in the Indiana program under Crean and associate head coach Tim Buckley, who several players call the team’s “shot doctor.””

“Watford went from a 31.4 percent 3-point shooter as a freshman to 48.4 percent by his senior season.”

“Current senior Yogi Ferrell made 23 shots from behind the arc as a freshman. He made a combined 170 his sophomore and junior seasons”

“The shooting jump Oladipo made in his junior season, one in which he hit 44 percent of his 3s, is a major reason his NBA stock skyrocketed.”

“When you first get here, coach Crean focuses on turning your hips and having your left foot one, two,” Ferrell told Inside the Hall. “So that’s what I would focus on after practice and just shooting by myself was the mechanics of it. And we’ve got a great, great shooting coach with coach (Tim) Buckley. He tells us to be up with the ball, elbow under the ball, so with every shot, I focus on those things. With that going into my senior year, I feel like I’m even a better shooter now than I’ve ever been.”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I'm anticipating another busy carousel cycle with a litany of sitting head coaches having their names attached to high-major jobs. Some will parlay this into bigger contracts, but as another prominent coach told me last week, "I think there could be some names on the move this year that would shock you."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/court-report-auburns-bruce-pearl-could-be-coaching-carousel-target-ken-pomeroy-should-be-in-hall-of-fame/

If you are a name coach that isn't in the Big Ten, SEC, and to a lesser extent Big 12 and ACC, you have to be slightly worried about the future of your conference.  Frankly, I would be a bit worried in the ACC as well.  You have FSU that wants out and the Big 10 and SEC would be more than happy to cut that league up.

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Clif Marshall is not part of the problem. He’s not the guy recruiting, or the guy running practice. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

His resume before being hired by Archie was primarily preparing players for the NFL Combine. Made a big deal about how many of his clients set Combine records. How does that prepare basketball players for a season?

It doesn't and still don't buy that lifting weights doesn't effect your shooting. If you look at the all time shooters they don't look like linebackers

36 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

If you are a name coach that isn't in the Big Ten, SEC, and to a lesser extent Big 12 and ACC, you have to be slightly worried about the future of your conference.  Frankly, I would be a bit worried in the ACC as well.  You have FSU that wants out and the Big 10 and SEC would be more than happy to cut that league up.

It is the right time for some of the power conference coaches to leave for another job.

23 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Clif Marshall is not part of the problem. He’s not the guy recruiting, or the guy running practice. 

Just saying what he has done hasn't help either so make a change to see if it helps. Basketball players don't need the same kind of workouts as football players.  There to be to much emphasis on weight training over working on agility and other things basketball players need to work on.

5 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

We had lottery pick guard and a 2x AA and went 12-8 in a bad Big Ten and lost by 20 points in the 2nd round of the tournament.

A healthy X and we limped into the play-in game.

Color me unimpressed.

Credit Woodson all you want, but IU needs at least 2, if not 3 perimeter players next year for Indiana to even be competitive. He went into this year thinking TG and Xavier Johnson was a B10 caliber backcourt and left a scholarship open in the process. Being able to identify 1 guard is fine, but 2 or 3?? No shot.

And yet the reason we didn't get DK was because of who we had coming back. 

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

we arent getting any 25 kids if we keep Woodson. He wont be around to see them graduate. why would you come here knowing your coach will be retiring while you are here?

All the respect in the world but 25 kids and graduating is 1986 thinking. The 25 kids we are in on besides 1 are thinking 2 years max before the league. In their eyes Woodson being 66 next month matters less than zero...which is why I believe we have to really analyze the b/c analysis, risk assessment, etc...

Of course just my two cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And yet the reason we didn't get DK was because of who we had coming back. 

DK committed to a Tennessee team with a backcourt of Santiago Vescovi (110 career starts), Josiah Jordan-James (87 starts), Zakari Ziegler, Jordan Gainey (transferred before Knecht and was two year starter at SC-Upstate), and Jahmi Mashack who started the year prior. That backcourt is light years better than our backcourt BEFORE adding Knecht. 

I’m tired of the excuses. There isn’t a world where DK wouldn’t have played 35 mpg at IU.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It doesn't and still don't buy that lifting weights doesn't effect your shooting. If you look at the all time shooters they don't look like linebackers

Then don’t buy it idk what else to say. There isn’t a soul in basketball that doesn’t lift and if you look across all of NBA and NCAA and say it’s affecting shooting in a negative way then 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

DK committed to a Tennessee team with a backcourt of Santiago Vescovi (110 career starts), Josiah Jordan-James (87 starts), Zakari Ziegler, Jordan Gainey (transferred before Knecht and was two year starter at SC-Upstate), and Jahmi Mashack who started the year prior. That backcourt is light years better than our backcourt BEFORE adding Knecht. 

I’m tired of the excuses. There isn’t a world where DK wouldn’t have played 35 mpg at IU.

But it's much easier to make excuses than accept reality.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying what he has done hasn't help either so make a change to see if it helps. Basketball players don't need the same kind of workouts as football players.  There to be to much emphasis on weight training over working on agility and other things basketball players need to work on.

How many workouts have you seen our basketball team go through? 

Just crazy. Clif Marshall hasn't helped? Lol thats rich. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

His resume before being hired by Archie was primarily preparing players for the NFL Combine. Made a big deal about how many of his clients set Combine records. How does that prepare basketball players for

For real? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

For real? 

About

Coach Clif Marshall enters his ninth year as the Performance Director at Ignition where he is responsible for the design and implementation of both the strength and speed programs. Marshall works as a Fitness Ambassador for the NFL. With 15 years of professional experience, Marshall has trained more than 400 pro football players, including first round NFL draft picks, Super Bowl Champions and Pro Bowlers. Luke Kuechly, AJ Green, Geno Atkins and Devin McCourty have been some of Marshall's most notable clients over the years. Under Marshall's Direction Ignition has trained over 40+ NFL Combine Top Performers and a number of NFL Players who hold all time combine records for their position groups. Currently Ignition and Coach Marshall have at least one player that they have trained on all 32 NFL Clubs. 

With Coach Marshall, Ignition® has been featured in Muscle & Fitness®, USA Today®, CBS® Sports and on NFL.com. Prior to his role as Performance Director at Ignition®, Marshall served as a strength and conditioning assistant coach for the Cincinnati Bengals®. He continues to work closely with the Bengals® as a consultant to Head Strength Coach, Chip Morton.

Coach Marshall came to Cincinnati after serving as a strength assistant for the University of Louisville Football Program.