Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

32 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

About

Coach Clif Marshall enters his ninth year as the Performance Director at Ignition where he is responsible for the design and implementation of both the strength and speed programs. Marshall works as a Fitness Ambassador for the NFL. With 15 years of professional experience, Marshall has trained more than 400 pro football players, including first round NFL draft picks, Super Bowl Champions and Pro Bowlers. Luke Kuechly, AJ Green, Geno Atkins and Devin McCourty have been some of Marshall's most notable clients over the years. Under Marshall's Direction Ignition has trained over 40+ NFL Combine Top Performers and a number of NFL Players who hold all time combine records for their position groups. Currently Ignition and Coach Marshall have at least one player that they have trained on all 32 NFL Clubs. 

With Coach Marshall, Ignition® has been featured in Muscle & Fitness®, USA Today®, CBS® Sports and on NFL.com. Prior to his role as Performance Director at Ignition®, Marshall served as a strength and conditioning assistant coach for the Cincinnati Bengals®. He continues to work closely with the Bengals® as a consultant to Head Strength Coach, Chip Morton.

Coach Marshall came to Cincinnati after serving as a strength assistant for the University of Louisville Football Program.

No.  I was asking you--- for real you're confused? 

Marshall must have just been the next card on the rolodex to bitch about. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How many workouts have you seen our basketball team go through? 

I don't know anything, of course, but the results don't show any improvement in shooting during his entire tenure. If he isn't helping us get better, it doesn't matter what he is doing well. Show me where his program has made us better at any basketball related skill -- rebounding, defending on the perimeter, defending the drive, shooting free throws. I realize he is not a skill instructor, but i agree that when nothing is working almost anywhere, you need to change almost everything.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

What is funny about this post. You see NFL coaches having to make staff changes to keep their jobs all the time. The Colts told Jim Mora to fire DC Vic Fangio and he refused. After that the Colts fired Mora. You can't just bring everything back the same because what is being done isn't worked for 3 years.

What does that have to do with Clif Marshall being really good at his job? You're just throwing darts and hoping something sticks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

I don't know anything, of course, but the results don't show any improvement in shooting during his entire tenure. If he isn't helping us get better, it doesn't matter what he is doing well. Show me where his program has made us better at any basketball related skill -- rebounding, defending on the perimeter, defending the drive, shooting free throws. I realize he is not a skill instructor, but i agree that when nothing is working almost anywhere, you need to change almost everything.

Sooooooooooo... blame the guys that teach the skills? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sooooooooooo... blame the guys that teach the skills? 

Again, I don't know anything, but we have a player development coach (Coach Calbert) who was here previously when we had a good shooting team. I don't know every holdover from coach Miller, but I think there are two assistants and one strength coach who have been here through seven years of particularly bad shooting at IU.. Something isn't working.

16 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Again, I don't know anything, but we have a player development coach (Coach Calbert) who was here previously when we had a good shooting team. I don't know every holdover from coach Miller, but I think there are two assistants and one strength coach who have been here through seven years of particularly bad shooting at IU.. Something isn't working.

Well what does our strength and conditioning coach have to do with any of that? I don’t know if he’s good or bad relative to what other schools have, but I do know that the teams lack of ability to shoot has nothing to do with Clif. At this point we might as well start blaming the tutors for our lack of rebounding

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying what he has done hasn't help either so make a change to see if it helps. Basketball players don't need the same kind of workouts as football players.  There to be to much emphasis on weight training over working on agility and other things basketball players need to work on.

There are different ways to weight train. Just because an athlete lifts doesn’t mean that they’ll turn out like a linebacker.

First, linebackers have a certain body type and basketball players have a body type. They are completely different from each other. 9 times out of 10, no matter how much a 6’7” basketball player lifts they’ll never look like a linebacker. Without steroids, it’s pretty much impossible. 

Secondly, there’s a way to lift for ‘show’ and there’s a way to lift for strength. Bodybuilders lift for show. They purposely put on mass and bulk; they lift until failure with much heavier heavier weights and lower rep counts. You’ll also notice that they tend to be more stiff/less mobile. Typically athletes are lifting for strength. Yes they’ll put on mass but it doesn’t come at an expense of their mobility. They don’t lift until failure and do higher rep counts. They also weight train with specificity - do exercises specific to the movements in their sport. And there’s most likely a whole bunch of more boring recovery/mobility exercises that aren’t cool enough to brag about on TikTok. 

I coach swimming. An efficient stroke requires a high degree of mobility. You do no want much mass on a swimmer or it will slow them down. YET, weight training is a major part of pretty much every single division I program and every Olympic athlete’s training regimen. Trust me, if it’s safe for swimmers to lift, it’s definitely safe for basketball players to lift. 

This is not knowledge I’ve gotten any certification or degree for - it’s just science. And I’m sure Cliff Marshall, with all his education and accolades, understands the difference between lifting for football and lifting for basketball. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

No.  I was asking you--- for real you're confused? 

Marshall must have just been the next card on the rolodex to bitch about. 

All I did was post his bio and in response to Scott ask how his background specialties fit training a basketball team. Marshall is the one who’s always posting before and after pictures of how he’s bulked up the players.I see a lot of good shooters around CBB who don’t have much muscle definition. Maybe he’s great at training basketball players, but I don’t see NBA players featured on his company website.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Connecting Clif to shooting problems seems like a massive stretch. 

Well maybe if they did more massive stretching and less lifting the team would be better at defense, rebounding, passing and shooting.....their grades would be better, they wouldnt drive 100 mph, they wouldnt eat at taco bell or go out partying in chicago. FIRE CLIFF!!!  😏🤣

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying what he has done hasn't help either so make a change to see if it helps. Basketball players don't need the same kind of workouts as football players.  There to be to much emphasis on weight training over working on agility and other things basketball players need to work on.

That's not true and IU's basketball team doesn't lift like a football team

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

All I did was post his bio and in response to Scott ask how his background specialties fit training a basketball team. Marshall is the one who’s always posting before and after pictures of how he’s bulked up the players.I see a lot of good shooters around CBB who don’t have much muscle definition. Maybe he’s great at training basketball players, but I don’t see NBA players featured on his company website.

Yeah--- well what muscle definition do Banks/Gunn/Walker/Sparks/Cupps/TG/Ware/MM have? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1