'24-'25 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think I have expressed my pleasure with Woodson quite often. Yes. 

Then we have the best of both worlds. A coach with integrity, and a winning program.

Not to say Coach Woodson is an unqualified success just yet. He still has some winning to do, but I think we can both feel good about where our program is.

If Coach Woodson would happen to lapse on the integrity part and still win, then only one of us would be happy, I guess 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Then we have the best of both worlds. A coach with integrity, and a winning program.

Not to say Coach Woodson is an unqualified success just yet. He still has some winning to do, but I think we can both feel good about where our program is.

If Coach Woodson would happen to lapse on the integrity part and still win, then only one of us would be happy, I guess 🙂

That would fit right along with his mentor! Winning without integrity! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

That would fit right along with his mentor! Winning without integrity! 

Everyone has flaws...

But if you're saying RMK compromised the established rules at the time to stick those 3 banners he's responsible for at the end of Assembly Hall, you couldn't be more wrong... 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Everyone has flaws...

But if you're saying RMK compromised the established rules at the time to stick those 3 banners he's responsible for at the end of Assembly Hall, you couldn't be more wrong... 

What he did was worse than anything Bill Self or Sean Miller have ever done. If those schools/coaches don't have integrity, neither do we and neither does Bob Knight. Integrity isn't just about who "cheats" and "doesn't cheat" to get recruits. 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

What he did was worse than anything Bill Self or Sean Miller have ever done. If those schools/coaches don't have integrity, neither do we and neither does Bob Knight. Integrity isn't just about who "cheats" and "doesn't cheat" to get recruits. 

So in your opinion, what was the absolute worst thing Bob Knight did? 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So in your opinion, what was the absolute worst thing Bob Knight did? 

I have no idea what the ultimate worse thing is... that's not for me to judge. But choking someone is infinity worse than cheating/paying to get a player to go to your school. 

Either way.. I really don't care. Indiana was stupid to give the NCAA all the Sampson info. They wanted it? They should have tried to find it. We weren't winners, and we kept zero integrity, we just looked like fools. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We weren't winners, and we kept zero integrity, we just looked like fools.

Agree.

Although, as I posted yesterday. for many of the IU people involved, it was never about integrity.  It was about power, and some warped sense of revenge.  They took great joy in seeing Indiana Basketball harmed.

After Knight was fired, I saw one interview where a woke committee member said something like:  "We will not allow the next basketball coach to have the power and control that Knight did.  The new coach will work for the university, not the other way around."

In other words, forget about a successful alpha male who could coach the team to a national power.  They wanted someone humble and meek, who they could control.  Which is exactly what they got.

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Agree.

Although, as I posted yesterday. for many of the IU people involved, it was never about integrity.  It was about power, and some warped sense of revenge.  They took great joy in seeing Indiana Basketball harmed.

After Knight was fired, I saw one interview where a woke committee member said something like:  "We will not allow the next basketball coach to have the power and control that Knight did.  The new coach will work for the university, not the other way around."

In other words, forget about a successful alpha male who could coach the team to a national power.  They wanted someone humble and meek, who they could control.  Which is exactly what they got.

I gotcha. And that is crap we had that going on. 

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Everyone has flaws...

Everyone I have ever spoken to who was at IU at the time, and I have read multiple anecdotes of the same here, talk about the obvious gifts and money IU players were receiving back then. How much of that is Knight himself versus others in and near the program, I don't know, but at best it's wilful ignorance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Everyone I have ever spoken to who was at IU at the time, and I have read multiple anecdotes of the same here, talk about the obvious gifts and money IU players were receiving back then. How much of that is Knight himself versus others in and near the program, I don't know, but at best it's wilful ignorance.

Any evidence, or is that all hearsay? 

RMK had enough enemies in the press that if there was something to that, it woulda been uncovered... 

12 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Agree.

Without IU, Bloomington would probably be like Bedford, and without IU basketball success the University would be about as popular as the University of Evansville.  They may not like it but it's true. 

• Like 2

Knight had integrity as it related to NCAA rules.  Self and Miller did not.

Knight did NOT have integrity as it relates to his personal behavior.  Who even knows on Self and Miller.  I know Miller sweats like a pig on the sideline, but have no idea how he treats other people.  

Knight showed the world his personal warts over and over again.  Other coaches dont have those warts, or keep them under wraps.  But, do we really know.  The Chris Beard story this week is a perfect example of that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Any evidence, or is that all hearsay? 

RMK had enough enemies in the press that if there was something to that, it woulda been uncovered... 

17 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I think my comment makes clear that it's all hearsay.

I'm pretty comfortable in my belief that, if Knight was involved in money/gifts to players, it was to cover basic necessities like food, clothing, or maybe a trip home to see mom.

There is pretty much zero chance Knight was involved, or would ave allowed, 6 figure payouts, players being gifted cars, etc.

I can still respect Knight for that and disagree with many of his personal antics.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Knight had integrity as it related to NCAA rules.  Self and Miller did not.

Knight did NOT have integrity as it relates to his personal behavior.  Who even knows on Self and Miller.  I know Miller sweats like a pig on the sideline, but have no idea how he treats other people.  

Knight showed the world his personal warts over and over again.  Other coaches dont have those warts, or keep them under wraps.  But, do we really know.  The Chris Beard story this week is a perfect example of that.

I agree about the Chris Beard and the... "do we really know" in regards to ppls personalities. 

I think you could truly say the same thing about Knight/any coach in the pre-internet/information easily available era... do we really know they didn't commit recruiting violations? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I agree about the Chris Beard and the... "do we really know" in regards to ppls personalities. 

I think you could truly say the same thing about Knight/any coach in the pre-internet/information easily available era... do we really know they didn't commit recruiting violations? 

I kind of touched on that in my post directly below the one you quoted.  Do I really know?  No.  But, that is what I believe.

I think I read people pretty well and one thing about Knight that is hard to dispute is that he expected his players to earn/achieve through hard work.  Giving large sums of money or extravagant gifts flies in the face of that character trait.

• Like 3