'24-'25 College Hoops Across the Nation(NOT IU!)

rico

On 2/21/2023 at 10:22 PM, dgambill said:

Police gave a statement. 🤷‍♂️

22 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I don’t think that’s nearly as finalized as you do. 

It’s definitely a pickle …I read an article that mentioned some facts that allegedly came from arrest affidavits…without being intimately familiar with Alabama laws ( as they may differ slightly, in a general sense, from Indiana criminal code), the most interesting point of the fact pattern for me was a mention of millet having parked his vehicle in such a way that appeared to impede the movement of the victims vehicle.  The potential for criminal liability ( or defense therefrom) hinges primarily on miller having knowledge of his friends intent to commit a crime or if he should have been reasonably aware.  He could hold a position of plausible deniability if he had no knowledge of a potential conflict and simply brought the firearm at his friends request.  If he had further detail of the purpose for the request  ( which  purposefully boxing in a car could suggest via circumstantial evidence) he could open himself to co-conspirator ,felony actor, accomplice , or vicarious liability

8 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

It’s definitely a pickle …I read an article that mentioned some facts that allegedly came from arrest affidavits…without being intimately familiar with Alabama laws ( as they may differ slightly, in a general sense, from Indiana criminal code), the most interesting point of the fact pattern for me was a mention of millet having parked his vehicle in such a way that appeared to impede the movement of the victims vehicle.  The potential for criminal liability ( or defense therefrom) hinges primarily on miller having knowledge of his friends intent to commit a crime or if he should have been reasonably aware.  He could hold a position of plausible deniability if he had no knowledge of a potential conflict and simply brought the firearm at his friends request.  If he had further detail of the purpose for the request  ( which  purposefully boxing in a car could suggest via circumstantial evidence) he could open himself to co-conspirator ,felony actor, accomplice , or vicarious liability

I believe the text messages where the gun was requested by Miles also mentioned the argument.

Wouldn't saying, "hey I'm in an argument, bring me my loaded gun" generally put the person bringing the gun into a position of knowledge about what might happen? 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I believe the text messages where the gun was requested by Miles also mentioned the argument.

Wouldn't saying, "hey I'm in an argument, bring me my loaded gun" generally put the person bringing the gun into a position of knowledge about what might happen? 

Miller's lawyers and the university are now saying Miles left the gun in Miller's car without Miller's knowledge, that Miller was already on his way to pick Miles up and never saw the text asking for the gun, and arrived and Miles got the gun without Miller ever touching it or knowing anything about anything. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Miller's lawyers and the university are now saying Miles left the gun in Miller's car without Miller's knowledge, that Miller was already on his way to pick Miles up and never saw the text asking for the gun, and arrived and Miles got the gun without Miller ever touching it or knowing anything about anything. 

IdenticalHonestAfricanhornbill-size_restricted.gif.9837afa1d6487772914824d51eaedff0.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So Tuesday at Noon EST the entire country outside of Bama probably didn't know about Brandon Miller and his teammates. Admittedly I forgot it even happened.

Since that time it's been a total train wreck led by Nate Oats. In a first impression world  Oats saying wrong place wrong time almost minimizing his players being involved in a MURDER. Brandon Miller will forever be known as the guy who brought the gun that was used,etc....and all these subsequent statements have Bama and their AD/Staff chasing to be right and they keep looking wrong.

Americans forgive. Especially sports fans. If Oats would have just suspended these guys and brought Miller back after a month or whatever people would probably be pulling for him more. Now? He's lucky the road games are almost done.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah I understand that, but we have text messages saying otherwise, right?

Doesn't the fact that we have conflicting information show a full investigation needs to happen, and potentially a jury trial to determine the truth? 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I understand that, but we have text messages saying otherwise, right?

Doesn't the fact that we have conflicting information show a full investigation needs to happen, and potentially a jury trial to determine the truth? 

Was just sharing the info, not saying I'm buying it. 

I don’t know if there is conflicting info or not. It would depend on if/how Miller replied to Miles' text messages. His lawyer is making it sound like Miller didn't reply or even see the message Miles sent asking for the gun. 

Again, not saying I buy it, just sharing what the lawyer is selling. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So Tuesday at Noon EST the entire country outside of Bama probably didn't know about Brandon Miller and his teammates. Admittedly I forgot it even happened.

Since that time it's been a total train wreck led by Nate Oats. In a first impression world  Oats saying wrong place wrong time almost minimizing his players being involved in a MURDER. Brandon Miller will forever be known as the guy who brought the gun that was used,etc....and all these subsequent statements have Bama and their AD/Staff chasing to be right and they keep looking wrong.

Americans forgive. Especially sports fans. If Oats would have just suspended these guys and brought Miller back after a month or whatever people would probably be pulling for him more. Now? He's lucky the road games are almost done.

Right. If there had been a suspension so they could investigate, or even a "hey our guy made an awful mistake and was truly in the wrong place at the wrong time, so now he needs some time away to process" then this would all be so much more believable.

Instead we have text messages (and just basic logic) saying one thing, and Miller's lawyer saying something contradictory to that. Bama athletics and the DA seem to be willing to just take Miller and his lawyer at their word.... it's wild, a murder happened and we are just taking one of the people involved at their word without further investigation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Was just sharing the info, not saying I'm buying it. 

I don’t know if there is conflicting info or not. It would depend on if/how Miller replied to Miles' text messages. His lawyer is making it sound like Miller didn't reply or even see the message Miles sent asking for the gun. 

Again, not saying I buy it, just sharing what the lawyer is selling. 

That's fair, and I honestly hope that what the attorney is saying is the truth.

The fact that Bama and the DA decided to it didn't even require an investigation is pretty telling, IMO. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Right. If there had been a suspension so they could investigate, or even a "hey our guy made an awful mistake and was truly in the wrong place at the wrong time, so now he needs some time away to process" then this would all be so much more believable.

Instead we have text messages (and just basic logic) saying one thing, and Miller's lawyer saying something contradictory to that. Bama athletics and the DA seem to be willing to just take Miller and his lawyer at their word.... it's wild, a murder happened and we are just taking one of the people involved at their word without further investigation. 

Completely agree. I believe Oates even framed it as he and the AD let Miller play last night based on "new information" and that info being from Miller's lawyer. 

Not sure if I heard/read that right but I think they said that. 

• Like 1

So someone opens the back door of your car, and puts something back there, under some clothes, and he doesn't say anything about putting a loaded gun in your car, and you don't ask what he's doing?

I'd say I'd be in the pissed zone if someone did that to me and my car... The police get a little jumpy if they pull you over and find a gun...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So someone opens the back door of your car, and puts something back there, under some clothes, and he doesn't say anything about putting a loaded gun in your car, and you don't ask what he's doing?

I'd say I'd be in the pissed zone if someone did that to me and my car... The police get a little jumpy if they pull you over and find a gun...

There was a bar in South Bend owned by 2 Mishawaka cops. Apparently the SB police weren’t happy so I got pulled over immediately after leaving. As I was searching for my registration I felt something plastic and pulled it out. My friend had left his stash in there. Luckily the officer didn’t see and I was just given a verbal warning.

I can tell you I gave my friend a verbal warning!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I guess the story their selling is that Miller gave Miles a ride to a bar or club or something and Miller just left the gun in his back seat without Miller's knowledge. 

Then Miles texted Miller asking him to come pick him up. While on the way to picking him up, Miles then texted asking for the gun but since Miller was already on the way he never even saw that text. 

Quite a tale to sell. Why would Miles text asking for the gun, if Miles thought Miller jad no idea he had a gun? Makes no sense. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess the story their selling is that Miller gave Miles a ride to a bar or club or something and Miller just left the gun in his back seat without Miller's knowledge. 

Then Miles texted Miller asking him to come pick him up. While on the way to picking him up, Miles then texted asking for the gun but since Miller was already on the way he never even saw that text. 

Quite a tail to sell. Why would Miles text asking for the gun, if Miles thought Miller jad no idea he had a gun? Makes no sense. 

When things don’t make sense, there’s usually a reason. At a minimum, he should have been suspended pending an investigation.

• Like 6

True story. 

After a practice in college one day a teammate/roommate and I were talking about going to the closest city that night for wings. We had wing places in our college town but my roommate was from this city about 25-30 minutes from us and knew the place well. 

We were both suburban guys. Another teammate who was from a not great area in Philly overhears and asks to come. He loved wings. 

Anyways, we took him with us and had a good time. When we dropped him off at his dorm he reached into the way back of my SUV before getting out. 

It took my roommate and I second to realize what happened, but then we called him back to the car and asked what he took out of the back of my truck. 

He said nothing and tried to play it off, but we continued to press. I didn't really have anything of value back there, probably some basketball t-shirts, laundry, whatever, but thought it was odd that he'd grab something, especially given that he was a teammate. 

Anyways, we questioned him hard and when he realized we weren't going to drop it, he pulled a gun out of his jacket. 

We asked what the hell he was doing and he just said, "I didn't know where in this city we were going."  

We had no clue he had it. No clue there was a gun in my car the entire time. 

I'm not defending Brandon Miller by any means. His lawyers story sounds like it is leaving out ALOT. Just saying we can't dismiss it either. 

To KoB's point, it's amazing there wasn't at least a suspension while an investigation happened.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Quite a tale to sell. Why would Miles text asking for the gun, if Miles thought Miller jad no idea he had a gun? Makes no sense. 

And if you read the text later asking for the gun, knowing he's murdered someone.... don't you immediately turn that over to police, coaches, etc? I know I would.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

True story. 

After a practice in college one day a teammate/roommate and I were talking about going to the closest city that night for wings. We had wing places in our college town but my roommate was from this city about 25-30 minutes from us and knew the place well. 

We were both suburban guys. Another teammate who was from a not great area in Philly overhears and asks to come. He loved wings. 

Anyways, we took him with us and had a good time. When we dropped him off at his dorm he reached into the way back of my SUV before getting out. 

It took my roommate and I second to realize what happened, but then we called him back to the car and asked what he took out of the back of my truck. 

He said nothing and tried to play it off, but we continued to press. I didn't really have anything of value back there, probably some basketball t-shirts, laundry, whatever, but thought it was odd that he'd grab something, especially given that he was a teammate. 

Anyways, we questioned him hard and when he realized we weren't going to drop it, he pulled a gun out of his jacket. 

We asked what the hell he was doing and he just said, "I didn't know where in this city we were going."  

We had no clue he had it. No clue there was a gun in my car the entire time. 

I'm not defending Brandon Miller by any means. His lawyers story sounds like it is leaving out ALOT. Just saying we can't dismiss it either. 

To KoB's point, it's amazing there wasn't at least a suspension while an investigation happened.  

Yeah, this kind of thing can absolutely happen. I am honestly rooting for this to be what happened.

But at the same time, it really feels like Bama athletics, police, etc. just heard the first thing Miller and his lawyer could come up with and said, "yup, our star player is innocent". 

• Like 2