Penn State Post Game Thread

KDB

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I've not watched a game this season and thought that. We had 3 and 4 subs on the court plenty of the time, in the first half. And I was told since last TH the starters WERE the problem? I can't keep it all straight.  Durr was suspended, so that obviously gave more mins to other people. 

I'm talking about funky in regards to flow.  There has been times were it had been hot potato, no one tries to make a play, no one wants to shoot.  Last night, regardless of who was in the game, it never felt like that and there have been plenty of times earlier where the ball dies, the flow dies.  Maybe its a product of maturity.  

34 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Here we go.  

Love the play, the hustle, the energy, the athleticism.  

The guy isn't hitting the floor without Jordan hitting him with half his body in the chest.  

JG saw a little old lady (LOL) who needed help getting back in her seat on the floor level when the PSU guy obviously impeded his path to help her.  So it would've been an impeding assistance to LOL call on PSU which the ref overlooked.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe im wrong but it looked like the shooter was behind the arc. Blocking foul after the shot. Ball out of bounds. 

No different than taking a charge under the basket vs on the perimeter. One is a charge the other a block

I didnt see anything that looked like a foul was warranted. I don't think the contact was really that big of a deal there.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I'm talking about funky in regards to flow.  There has been times were it had been hot potato, no one tries to make a play, no one wants to shoot.  Last night, regardless of who was in the game, it never felt like that and there have been plenty of times earlier where the ball dies, the flow dies.  Maybe its a product of maturity.  

Gotcha. Good guard play makes the world turn.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would not call a 3 shot foul. Common foul blocking, if contact happened prior to shot clock violation. If after no call and the right call was made. 

Watching again, the block happened with 2 seconds.  The crash landing at one, ball lands out of bounds as the shot clock expires.  

Like you said, over the course of the year this is usually going to be called some sort of foul.  I wouldn't have been in the least bit upset had they called a blocking foul, after the shot.  It happens every once in a while.  

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Oh I love the term incidental contact.  Should the Nebraska player been called for a foul, jumping on top of X during that scramble?  Yes.  People on here were even asking for a flagrant 1.  

It gets called some, probably not as often as it should.  Loose balls don't mean all rules are off until someone controls it.  

You can't incidentally push a guy out of the way, a foul is a foul.  

I don’t disagree with you but that’s just how it’s called. Eventually someone will get hurt in a scrum and there will be some lame “point of emphasis” rule, like the hook and hold, put in. Until then, loose ball fouls will continue to be the most rare and inconsistent foul calls in the game. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosier82 said:

I don’t disagree with you but that’s just how it’s called. Eventually someone will get hurt in a scrum and there will be some lame “point of emphasis” rule, like the hook and hold, put in. Until then, loose ball fouls will continue to be the most rare and inconsistent foul calls in the game. 

200.gif

55 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Ok   I'm not going to rewatch games just to find an example.  If its a foul its a foul.  This isn't complicated.  

You're right; it's not complicated.  I'm not arguing it wasn't a "foul," I'm arguing why the refs didn't call it.

Call it an unwritten rule or whatever you want, JG blocks it, foul doesn't get called.  JG misses the block, PSU is shooting three free throws.

Just now, rogue3542 said:

You're right; it's not complicated.  I'm not arguing it wasn't a "foul," I'm arguing why the refs didn't call it.

Call it an unwritten rule or whatever you want, JG blocks it, foul doesn't get called.  JG misses the block, PSU is shooting three free throws.

which would have been much more egregious then a no call

Just now, rogue3542 said:

The contact is after the shot.  A good ref doesn't call that a foul in the act of shooting.  Its something that is probably called more correctly in the nba due to having 3 superstars injured and then the foul drawing that is so common now from guys like Harden and the little Atlanta hawks guy, name is slipping.  

7 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

This here is the key point, I think if he misses the block it would have been called a foul, but you see it happen all the time when the player gets the block, they get the benefit of the doubt and no foul is called. 👍

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

The ref whistle hunting was probably why I was so shocked about the no call.  If the roles were reversed, close game and PS gets hit like that, I'm super pissed about the no call and would be perfectly ok with it being an after the shot foul and getting 2 shots, not 3.  

I'd agree if there were like 10 seconds left on the shot clock, but it happened right as the shot clock expired, too. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I'd agree if there were like 10 seconds left on the shot clock, but it happened right as the shot clock expired, too. 

I already broke down the time on clock.  Play is all but over by time the shot clock literally expires.  

Like @Billingsley99 said, more often than not of the course of a year thats some sort of foul.  Id lean towards an after the shot, on the ground, blocking foul.  

Thankfully is was inconsequential and went in our favor and no one was hurt.  

37 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe im wrong but it looked like the shooter was behind the arc. Blocking foul after the shot. Ball out of bounds. 

No different than taking a charge under the basket vs on the perimeter. One is a charge the other a block

The thing I would lose my mind over is a blocking foul being called as the shot clock is expiring and the ball wasn't in anyone's possession. Technically right? Probably, but I can't think of an instance where that is the appropriate call within the context of the game. 

35 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would not call a 3 shot foul. Common foul blocking, if contact happened prior to shot clock violation. If after no call and the right call was made. 

I am not sure what the rule is today but remember a lot of fouls called after the shot.  If you weren't in the bonus you just got the ball out of bounds. If you were in the bonus then it was 1-1

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I already broke down the time on clock.  Play is all but over by time the shot clock literally expires.  

Like @Billingsley99 said, more often than not of the course of a year thats some sort of foul.  Id lean towards an after the shot, on the ground, blocking foul.  

Thankfully is was inconsequential and went in our favor and no one was hurt.  

So a blocking foul, less than a second before the shot clock expired, and the player getting fouled didn't even have control of the ball? 

Maybe by the letter of the law, but I'd really struggle to say that is within the spirit of the law and I can't think of a time I've seen that get called. If anything, I'd say there is a bias from refs to call a shot clock violation when there are loose balls with contact as the shot clock expires. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

So a blocking foul, less than a second before the shot clock expired, and the player getting fouled didn't even have control of the ball? 

Maybe by the letter of the law, but I'd really struggle to say that is within the spirit of the law and I can't think of a time I've seen that get called. If anything, I'd say there is a bias from refs to call a shot clock violation when there are loose balls with contact as the shot clock expires. 

Time on the clock is irrelevant.  A guy crashing into a guy and knocking him over at any point, in any situation, is called a foul more often than not.  

If the roles were reversed, the vast majority of this board we be calling for a foul.

• Like 1