Rutgers pre game -Senior Night

Hoosierfan1901

8 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m going to say RP and MK. I’m sure I’ll be wrong, but 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I was thinking Stewart, simply because he's like 23, has been through a lot, and at times looks unhappy. He's also been sat down twice...and I think he's already got 2 masters degrees...

Kopp was just a WAG...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was thinking Stewart, simply because he's like 23, has been through a lot, and at times looks unhappy. He's also been sat down twice...and I think he's already got 2 masters degrees...

Kopp was just a WAG...

I don't see Stewart coming back.  Now, as to whether he gives a speech or not may have to do with how Woodson determines the criteria for giving a speech.  If it's just Rob and Race giving a speech, I have to feel he limited speeches to non-transfers.  

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think Race and Durr are the most likely of the group to return

I think X is the most likely to return.  With the way he is playing now, he stands to gain a lot by coming back.  And, I have to think the staff would feel a whole lot better with having him back than relying on a freshman PG, no matter how highly rated.  

• Like 5

We all know most of their cast...

Baker and Harper are both streaky players that can step up at the end of a game and make big plays. They're experienced and tough...

McConnell is one of the best defenders in the league. He leads the Big 10 in steals. His offense is a little inconsistent (27% from 3) but he's top shelf on the defensive end. 

Only Harper and Mulcahy shoot the 3 over 35%. Mulcahy is a big PG at 6'6 leads the league in assists, and likes to post up smaller defenders.

The guy that worries me is Cliff Omoyuri. He's improved a lot from last year. Exactly the kind of defender Trayce has trouble with. 6'11, long arms, and athletic. He's not much on the offensive end, but they run an effective PnR between him and Mulcahy or Baker.

This is going to be a very tough, physical game. I expect them to do a lot of woofing. We can win, but we need a tough defensive effort and effective offense. Race is the big mismatch for them, but Omoyuri is a rim protector so interior passing may be key...

And I do think Steve Pikiell is a good coach...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think X is the most likely to return.  With the way he is playing now, he stands to gain a lot by coming back.  And, I have to think the staff would feel a whole lot better with having him back than relying on a freshman PG, no matter how highly rated.  

True, I forgot about him as no one was discussing him.  X, then Durr (next year he stands to get a lot more minutes) and then Race (who I think will step up even more once outside the shadow of TJD).  

I feel the same about this game as I did about games like Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, etc. 

While Baker and Harper are inconsistent, I always worry about a close game down the stretch against teams that have a big time scoring guard/wing. 

If the game is tight the last 3-5 minutes i have way more trust in Baker or Harper hitting tough, big shots then I do anyone on Indiana. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We all know most of their cast...

Baker and Harper are both streaky players that can step up at the end of a game and make big plays. They're experienced and tough...

McConnell is one of the best defenders in the league. He leads the Big 10 in steals. His offense is a little inconsistent (27% from 3) but he's top shelf on the defensive end. 

Only Harper and Mulcahy shoot the 3 over 35%. Mulcahy is a big PG at 6'6 leads the league in assists, and likes to post up smaller defenders.

The guy that worries me is Cliff Omoyuri. He's improved a lot from last year. Exactly the kind of defender Trayce has trouble with. 6'11, long arms, and athletic. He's not much on the offensive end, but they run an effective PnR between him and Mulcahy or Baker.

This is going to be a very tough, physical game. I expect them to do a lot of woofing. We can win, but we need a tough defensive effort and effective offense. Race is the big mismatch for them, but Omoyuri is a rim protector so interior passing may be key...

And I do think Steve Pikiell is a good coach...

Looks like someone ^^^ is trying to steer this thread back to Rutgers and away from Senior night. :D

• Haha 1

Just now, Reacher said:

Looks like someone ^^^ is trying to steer this thread back to Rutgers and away from Senior night. :D

😁 Yeah, but the Senior Night discussion is interesting too...big clue on who's coming back and who's staying I think...

But there is the most important game of the season, too...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You're speaking academically, I assume?  

Regardless, IU has never done what other schools have and had players with less than 4 years athletically in the book give senior speeches.  Could that change?  Sure.  New coaching staff and administration.  

I'm sticking with my belief that Rob does not give one and wants to come back.   If it does end up being Race and Rob, they will not be the only 2 of the 6 who arent back next year.  

Maybe the opportunity to speak was not given to the single year transfers.  I hope that is not the case.

To clarify, Woodson said two players are giving speeches but they still have to make decisions about if it is their last home game.

So we really can't read much at all into who is back next year based on who gives speeches tomorrow night. 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

To clarify, Woodson said two players are giving speeches but they still have to make decisions about if it is their last home game.

So we really can't read much at all into who is back next year based on who gives speeches tomorrow night. 

I agree with one exception.  I don't think Rob passes up a Senior night speech unless he's fairly sure he's coming back.  The other 3 are transfers, and it might not mean as much to them if they are unsure.  For, Rob, I think it does.  XJ is the key though.  For IU to be as good as it can be next season, we need him to come back.   

Just now, 5fouls said:

I agree with one exception.  I don't think Rob passes up a Senior night speech unless he's fairly sure he's coming back.  The other 3 are transfers, and it might not mean as much to them if they are unsure.  For, Rob, I think it does.  XJ is the key though.  For IU to be as good as it can be next season, we need him to come back.   

I would love XJ and Rob back, and at least one of TJD or Race. Beyond that it is gravy from the "obvious" people who could leave IMO. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I would love XJ and Rob back, and at least one of TJD or Race. Beyond that it is gravy from the "obvious" people who could leave IMO. 

You may not have seen the post above, but, per Inside The Hall, Race and Stewart are confirmed to be the two giving speeches.  So, Race isn't coming back.   

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You may not have seen the post above, but, per Inside The Hall, Race and Stewart are confirmed to be the two giving speeches.  So, Race isn't coming back.   

I did see it, but I also saw this :)

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2