Transfer Portal 2022

10 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

The Athletic has a good ranking of best available HS seniors and transfer portal options up, for anyone who subscribes. Looks to be constantly updated:

https://theathletic.com/3211734/2022/03/30/ranking-the-best-available-mens-college-basketball-transfers-and-high-school-recruits-for-2022-23/

A few notes that stood out to me. Reneau is currently #2 overall behind Yohan Traore. Julian Phillips is #3, with Brandon Murray #4, Curbelo #7, Brazile #8, Williams (Murray State big) #10, Terrance Shannon #11, Sparks #25, and McNeil #26.

For McNeil, they suggest he's a major defensive liability, one who West Virginia regularly had to game plan around to cover his deficiencies at that end.

Some other names that stood out, who I don't think have been brought up yet:

Will Richard (Belmont - #9 overall) - NBA athleticism and length, could be elite scorer with a tweak to his mechanics.

Jalen Bridges (WVU - #13 overall) - 6'7" wing who shot 40% from 3 in good minutes as a freshman, but took a step backwards as a sophomore despite increased minutes. Could be a good bounce back candidate who would thrive in "a well-spaced high-ball-screen scheme on offense and a switching defensive scheme."

Antonio Reeves (Illinois State - #19 overall) - 6'5" wing, high volume scorer with near elite shot creation skills, but struggles at facilitating others and on the defensive end.

Curbelo and McNeil would be a hard pass on. Curbelo plays to much out of control and if McNeil is that bad on defense then I definitely wouldn't want him. Coach Woodson is all about the defense so I don't see where he would fit in.

Reneau and Sparks sounds like we have a chance to get one of them, which is good because we might need one or maybe both of them. Bridges could be an interesting player to get.

16 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I thought I read Kofi was looking into agents?? Maybe I didn’t 

Could be, you're allowed to have an agent now as long as they are certified and you follow the rules. Kofi's put his name in the draft twice so he has to decide this time for good. If he wants to go through the combine, etc then he can't choose to withdraw and return to college. I think he can make more $$ via NIL than he would in Europe or G League, but he may be tired of being a student so who knows?

• Like 3

Believe I heard or read CMW is on vacation. Besides waiting to hear if anyone else is leaving the current team they may also be waiting until the coach is back to announce possible additions.

It would be great to learn more about how the coaches go about looking into the transfer portal. Do you wait as long as possible to see who else is jumping in? Do you ID someone quickly and hope to convince them ASAP? Do the players going into the portal ever reach out to the school and say, I want to go there? 

Do the assistant coaches go on vacation or is it portal and recruiting 24/7 after the season ends?

14 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Believe I heard or read CMW is on vacation. Besides waiting to hear if anyone else is leaving the current team they may also be waiting until the coach is back to announce possible additions.

It would be great to learn more about how the coaches go about looking into the transfer portal. Do you wait as long as possible to see who else is jumping in? Do you ID someone quickly and hope to convince them ASAP? Do the players going into the portal ever reach out to the school and say, I want to go there? 

Do the assistant coaches go on vacation or is it portal and recruiting 24/7 after the season ends?

You know, I’m glad that CMW is taking a vacation….Coach Knight took hunting and fishing trips during the year. Everyone needs a reboot and a refresher. CMW is still in touch and in the know…..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Could be, you're allowed to have an agent now as long as they are certified and you follow the rules. Kofi's put his name in the draft twice so he has to decide this time for good. If he wants to go through the combine, etc then he can't choose to withdraw and return to college. I think he can make more $$ via NIL than he would in Europe or G League, but he may be tired of being a student so who knows?

I think Kofi is as "NBA ready" as he will ever be.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Penny, being a Memphis alum as well as an NBA star, prolly brought a big boost in ticket sells?

Yeah, I understand the attraction and I would tell you those qualities made him a very good talent aggregator.  However, he never had the chops to coach and develop the stars he recruited once they got there.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I understand the attraction and I would tell you those qualities made him a very good talent aggregator.  However, he never had the chops to coach and develop the stars he recruited once they got there.

He coaches the AAU way.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

You know, I’m glad that CMW is taking a vacation….Coach Knight took hunting and fishing trips during the year. Everyone needs a reboot and a refresher. CMW is still in touch and in the know…..

Can I be 100% honest here?  I think everyone has this take until they don't.  Those vacations for Coach Knight were all good until the Patterson, Miller, Reed, Eggers, etc. years where his time off during recruiting ended up meaning that we were not getting the players into the program needed to win games.

So I will tell on myself now.  Being on vacation at the moment is all well and good as long as it works out.  If it doesn't, this is the type of thing that is going to be a data point in a list of what went wrong.  Just being honest.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Can I be 100% honest here?  I think everyone has this take until they don't.  Those vacations for Coach Knight were all good until the Patterson, Miller, Reed, Eggers, etc. years where his time off during recruiting ended up meaning that we were not getting the players into the program needed to win games.

So I will tell on myself now.  Being on vacation at the moment is all well and good as long as it works out.  If it doesn't, this is the type of thing that is going to be a data point in a list of what went wrong.  Just being honest.

In the end, I don't think Bob did much recruiting whether he was on vacation or not.  I think the bigger truth here is, he had a reputation of being a hard, demanding (borderline abusive) coach and a lot of the recruits simply didn't have a taste for a boot camp style experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

In the end, I don't think Bob did much recruiting whether he was on vacation or not.  I think the bigger truth here is, he had a reputation of being a hard, demanding (borderline abusive) coach and a lot of the recruits simply didn't have a taste for a boot camp style experience.

The game and the players change with the times.  And it continues.