Possible B1G expansion?

rico

I see that this was touched upon in the Rutgers thread.  I don't like Maryland or Rutgers being in the conference at all.  But that is/was a cash grab to tap into the east coast market.  Me thinks we are gonna be stuck with them for awhile.  In the mean time I think it is inevitable that our conference will expand to 16 teams.  What two schools would you like to see become members in our conference.  And give your reasoning.

Kansas and Missouri.

They are both members of the AAU (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities#Membership)

Kansas obviously is one of the premier blue bloods of college basketball, and Missouri is their longstanding rival that abandoned the Big 12 for the SEC.

And they are both nearby schools. They clearly make the most sense to me, and make way more sense than Maryland and Rutger.

8 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Kansas and Missouri.

They are both members of the AAU (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities#Membership)

Kansas obviously is one of the premier blue bloods of college basketball, and Missouri is their longstanding rival that abandoned the Big 12 for the SEC.

And they are both nearby schools. They clearly make the most sense to me, and make way more sense than Maryland and Rutger.

They do to me as well..........however I can't help but think the B1G  would be interested in Georgia Tech.

I floated this idea, back on Hoosier Nation, on the Scout network, years ago.  It got summarily shot down.  However, I will raise it again.

The University of Chicago !

An original member of the Big Ten.  And as a member of the Big Ten, they won two national football championships along with 10 Big Ten conference championships in football.

They continue to play the major sports, albeit in Division III.  It would take a few years for them to upgrade to Division I.  But it has been done by other schools across the nation. 

They would add a ton of integrity to the B1G in terms of academics.  They meet the criteria in terms of location, location, location.  And in terms of big time facilities (they still have their own)  there are plenty of venues in and around the Chicago area they could use at their disposal.  Heck, even Northwestern is using the old Rosemont Horizon this season, while they renovate their home basketball facility. 

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I floated this idea, back on Hoosier Nation, on the Scout network, years ago.  It got summarily shot down.  However, I will raise it again.

The University of Chicago !

An original member of the Big Ten.  And as a member of the Big Ten, they won two national football championships along with 10 Big Ten conference championships in football.

They continue to play the major sports, albeit in Division III.  It would take a few years for them to upgrade to Division I.  But it has been done by other schools across the nation. 

They would add a ton of integrity to the B1G in terms of academics.  They meet the criteria in terms of location, location, location.  And in terms of big time facilities (they still have their own)  there are plenty of venues in and around the Chicago area they could use at their disposal.  Heck, even Northwestern is using the old Rosemont Horizon this season, while they renovate their home basketball facility. 

The "Maroons"?  

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Kansas and Missouri.

I would be fine with this if we can realign the football divisions to North and South.

So I guess the premise is how would we look at the qualifications and what is the hierarchy . Academic integrity, Monetary, new markets basketball only football only location rivalries etc. Honestly that could leave the door open for alot of schools. I personally from just a fans standpoint would want to add Kentucky and Kansas. That would first put two major powerhouses in the conference. It would then be that Kentucky had to play us every year. So it would basically tell Cal to go kick rocks that they are playing Indiana every year. Needless to say there are plenty of other schools though that could fill out the 16 for the BigTen. 

19 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So I guess the premise is how would we look at the qualifications and what is the hierarchy . Academic integrity, Monetary, new markets basketball only football only location rivalries etc. Honestly that could leave the door open for alot of schools. I personally from just a fans standpoint would want to add Kentucky and Kansas. That would first put two major powerhouses in the conference. It would then be that Kentucky had to play us every year. So it would basically tell Cal to go kick rocks that they are playing Indiana every year. Needless to say there are plenty of other schools though that could fill out the 16 for the BigTen. 

UK coming aint happening.  The B1G puts emphasis on the AAU.........they ain't in it.

Fort Wayne paper had an article about the expansion into new markets and how it might affect recruiting from those areas. Mentioned that IU specifically has capitalized on the New York exposure as we have had more recruits from that state than any other Midwest based B1G school. 

Personally, I want the conference to be a regional Midwest one. I agree that they should not remove any team that they have already committed to. Not a good look for the conference to do so. On the other hand, I don't think that adding more teams is a good idea either. We already have unbalanced schedules where we don't play every other team twice and adding more schools would further skew the schedules 

Kansas and Missouri would be my choices but I don't think either are all that likely. With the majority of the population and economic growth in the US occurring in the south, that is the direction I see the BIG going when they decide to pursue additional schools. Ga Tech makes a lot of sense based on that and the appeal of the access to Atlanta market that they could provide. Beyond them, it would make sense to head southwest for the second school in which case Missouri probably makes the most sense. 

Interesting question.

My Ideal next 2:  Notre Dame (makes so much sense that its now impossible lol) Colorado (I favor them over Mizzou for purely aesthetic reasons)

My Most-likely next 2:  Georgia Tech, Houston (Major markets and mostly non-threatening overall athletic programs to start)

My Dum-dum next 2:  Louisville , Kentucky (obviously)

19 minutes ago, JEFFVETTE said:

I would go with Pitt, and WV. Geographically they make sense to me. WV does not belong in thed Big 12. Pitt would fire back up the Pitt PSU riverly.

One thing about realignment, geography has very little to do with it, as we saw with Rutgers and Maryland. It's all about market and money. I'm not sure the Big Ten really needs the Pittsburgh/WV market. 

27 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

What about Xavier or Cincinnati or Iowa St....I still can't figure out how Rutgers is in the Big Ten 

Xavier does not have football so that will not happen as much as I would love it for basketball, I got my masters there, and living in the area, plus it is TINY compared to any other school in the B1G.  Right now Northwestern is the smallest at around 21000 , Xavier has 6500.  I am not sure what Cincinnati would , academically they are ok, decent Med school, do not add TV market.  

Archived