Rumor floating around.

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You’re proving my point.  I agree that it doesn’t matter at all whether the WatShot happened in AH or Banker’s Life, or the YUM Center for that matter.  All that matters is that it happened, and that it was huge for IU’s brand and national exposure.  Why would you want to deny IU an opportunity to get a win like that out of some misplaced sense of pride?

IU would gain way, way more from a game against UK in the YUM Center than UK would gain from a game against IU in Banker’s Life.  It has nothing to do with recruits from Kentucky, and everything to do with showing recruits all over the nation (and in Indiana) that IU can beat an elite program like UK.  Cal already has a huge presence in Indiana.  One game in Indy every other year isn’t going to have an effect on that at all.  The IU brand doesn’t carry a lot of weight with elite recruits right now.  A rotating series with UK at neutral sites would have a huge effect on that.  Like you yourself said, it doesn’t matter where the game is played, so there’s really no reason to insist on a home-and-home.

I don't think I am and again, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.  IU is listed among the schools of plenty elite recruits and IU got All-Americans during the Crean years so there's no reason to think IU won't be at least as successful during the Miller years.  I don't desire to build NBA factory teams like Calipari does and I don't think Miller does either. At the same time, I don't like Calipari cherry-picking Indiana's best players like Trey Lyles.  Cal hasn't had nearly as much success in Indiana recently, and I don't really want to give his brand a fresh jumpstart in Indiana without something in it for IU.

You want IU to play UK anywhere they can and I don't.  I don't think IU needs UK nearly as badly as you do and that's fine.  I think if IU and UK renew the rivalry, the agreement shouldn't be so one-sided and should include a Bloomington game one in every four years.  I can't see how that is asking so much and is so wrong, but that's just me.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

We shouldn't get too caught up with locations. This game is made for prime time TV that will draw huge number of audience, which is what IU needs right now. On the other hand, UK doesn't have to play IU and they can still attract other marquee programs for non-conference games on neutral courts. If I were an UK fan, I wouldn't want UK to play IU 'cause there's not much to gain. IU has been down for almost 3 decades. 

I'm an IU alum and love IU, but we gotta set aside our crimson-colored glass for a minute and see what's best for the program. 

You and I will simply have to disagree about what is best for the program.  IU played Kansas and North Carolina last season and Duke this year.  I don't see the desperate need for a game with UK where the terms are absolutely dictated by UK.  You think the recruits don't notice stuff like that?

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You and I will simply have to disagree about what is best for the program.  IU played Kansas and North Carolina last season and Duke this year.  I don't see the desperate need for a game with UK where the terms are absolutely dictated by UK.  You think the recruits don't notice stuff like that?

Not at all... They would notice a win over UK on a neutral court, however.  

22 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think they noticed the win in Bloomington as well.

Absolutely did.  But again, it makes no difference where we beat them, so there’s no reason to decline a neutral site series.  No win for recruits to notice if we don’t play the game.

Why restart a series with the absolute worst offender in terms of paying players, especially now, when people are finally paying some attention to the problem?  It would be as if we were condoning their conduct, and lending them some legitimacy.  I'd much rather have an on-campus game with whichever of Notre Dame and Butler we don't play in the Crossroads Classic that year.  But if playing Kentucky is so important to Southern Indiana types, the games should certainly be played on IU's terms.

15 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't be for this? It's good for the program and good for basketball. 

I simply disagree.  To me the UK basketball program getting the death penalty is what would be good for basketball!  

We did not end this series, squid did.  If he wants it back, it’s on our terms or he can go play with himself.  

The bigotry I witnessed at UK over 40 years ago, I will never forget.  They cheered when IUs one white starter was introduced, after booing the four black players.  That programs perennial lack of integrity and now the coach are unacceptable to me.  For these reasons I would prefer to have nothing to do with them.  And if we do, it’s only on our terms.

2 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

We shouldn't get too caught up with locations. This game is made for prime time TV that will draw huge number of audience, which is what IU needs right now. 

Agree with this line of thinking.  National exposure, can do more for recruiting. And I am talking about Indiana kids,who would love to play in a game like this.  And if not recruiting, national prestige. Something that IU is sorely lacking in the past decade. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

HTD.  Love ya man.  But, all I can say is :

Remember the WatShot. 

I'd love to see that again...but I want to have a chance to see it happen on that floor. It's just not the same at Banker's Life Fieldhouse.  I think it's incredibly stubborn of UK to not agree to ONE game in Bloomington in FOUR YEARS. In exchange, you get TWO neutral games and another game on your own HOME COURT!

What are you really afraid of, John?!!

1 hour ago, IUB74 said:

I simply disagree.  To me the UK basketball program getting the death penalty is what would be good for basketball!  

We did not end this series, squid did.  If he wants it back, it’s on our terms or he can go play with himself.  

The bigotry I witnessed at UK over 40 years ago, I will never forget.  They cheered when IUs one white starter was introduced, after booing the four black players.  That programs perennial lack of integrity and now the coach are unacceptable to me.  For these reasons I would prefer to have nothing to do with them.  And if we do, it’s only on our terms.

That's fine, but the problems you are referencing are not isolated to one campus, school, or state. I'd rather kick the crap out of schools like UK than dodge them because of their sketchy coach or history. I think you play anyone, anywhere, anytime. Prove it on the court. 

5 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

That's fine, but the problems you are referencing are not isolated to one campus, school, or state. I'd rather kick the crap out of schools like UK than dodge them because of their sketchy coach or history. I think you play anyone, anywhere, anytime. Prove it on the court. 

You certainly have the same right to your opinions as I do.  I actually assume that you are in the majority.  And of course if and when we ever play them again, I certainly hope that we do kick the crap out of them on the court.

There are simply issues involved here that are more important to me than what happens on the court.

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Wow that is a joke...I was somewhat skeptical Cal was truly afraid to play a home and home with us, but why in the world do you schedule a home and home with Utah and not us? I smell some fear with TONS of ego to spare. Grow a pair Cal...

It's not a home and home....it's a RUPP and VEGAS. Not Utah.  But your comment holds even more true...Grow a pair Cal!

I say we stay out of Indianapolis in the Kentucky series.  I'd consider Chicago instead.  Give us some out of state exposure too.  Indiana has too much in-state talent to let Calipari enjoy playing here as a showcase.  

The Utah thing is a great example.  He gets Vegas as a chance to showcase his program nationally instead of having a road game.  

If he wouldn't go along with Glass' four year revolving schedule, then he wants it only his way.  I personally would not deal with someone like that.  Too many fish in the sea.

1 hour ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

It's not a home and home....it's a RUPP and VEGAS. Not Utah.  But your comment holds even more true...Grow a pair Cal!

Can you imagine thinking you're going to Vegas for the weekend but you end up spending a weekend with Mormons? 

I joke obviously, I love going to Park City. But still, wow, that would be a shock to the system. 

On 3/12/2018 at 3:51 PM, Hoosier82 said:

What is the draw/benefit of having this at Bankers Life? It only holds 600ish more people. Having a game at a neutral site just for the sake of doing so just dumbs down the atmosphere and screws over season ticket holders. 

Because its a true Basketball arena (as opposed to Lucas Oil) just like the Yum center is basketball arena.  It also is a neutral site location.  The # of people isn't the issue, its the neutral site part where tickets could be sold 50/50.  Bankerslife is Indiana's equivalent to the YUM center.

To hell with Calipari. We'll see you in the tournament if you get that far. Let other schools prostitute themselves with one-sided contracts. Cal lost two of the last three against IU and UK ain't what it was with Wall, Davis and Cousins. He's in no position to dictate terms to IU.

18 minutes ago, Tru123dt said:

Cal wants it in Indy to help his recruiting of Indiana recruits.

Under the previous regime I was always nervous about that. 1 more class that includes KB or TJD....and I won't give one rats about where we play them. Just like the old Hurricanes way. Anywhere. Anytime. 

Archived