Romeo Langford

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree with Archie on this front.  Defense can always keep you in games.  Everything in the universe could be against you, but if you defend, you can be in every game.  TV Ted or some other referee may be out to get you; you could have an injury; you could have everyone not shooting well at once.  But if you play hard on defense, you can hang in there and win.  I'd add disciplined ball to defense too.  If you take care of the ball and defend, you can be a tough out. 

Now you add three point shooting and good team quickness and length, then watch out.  You will go far.

Defense keeps you in games, but what IU needs are cold blooded assassins who are not afraid of the big moments, any environment, or any team. IU hasn't had many of those type of guys in recent memory. They haven't played with that win or die mentality in a while. Toughness on both ends. That's what Archie as to add back to the program that Crean's teams lacked. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Romeo as a player, a couple of things I saw from a limited TV view:  he needs to get stronger and more physical;  and he needs to be more tenacious on defense.  Guys, don't take it personally.  I am not knocking him as a player.  These are fairly typical for the high school superstar.  99% of high school kids need to get stronger.  Superstar offensive players normally don't get too tenacious on defense lest they end up in foul trouble when they need to be on the floor.  So, this is a fairly typical superstar profile.  All of these items are Archie Miller staples. 

If Romeo is willing to do the work, the IU staff can be really, really good for his development.  Clif Marshall has been a stud with strength and conditioning for pros, and he has to be a draw.  A guy like Ed Schilling literally had a job developing guys for the pros.  Archie will demand tough, hard nosed defense.  With Romeo's length, quickness, agility, and top notch attitude, he could be a high end defender.

IU makes too much sense for a variety of reasons.

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As for Romeo as a player, a couple of things I saw from a limited TV view:  he needs to get stronger and more physical;  and he needs to be more tenacious on defense.  Guys, don't take it personally.  I am not knocking him as a player.  These are fairly typical for the high school superstar.  99% of high school kids need to get stronger.  Superstar offensive players normally don't get too tenacious on defense lest they end up in foul trouble when they need to be on the floor.  So, this is a fairly typical superstar profile.  All of these items are Archie Miller staples. 

If Romeo is willing to do the work, the IU staff can be really, really good for his development.  Clif Marshall has been a stud with strength and conditioning for pros, and he has to be a draw.  A guy like Ed Schilling literally had a job developing guys for the pros.  Archie will demand tough, hard nosed defense.  With Romeo's length, quickness, agility, and top notch attitude, he could be a high end defender.

IU makes too much sense for a variety of reasons.

WE certainly have two of the better ones with Clif and Schilling. But I would assume Kansas has some studs in that department as well.

41 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm completely biased of course, but I honestly think even if you remove all the "hometown legend" stuff that IU is clearly the best fit for Langford on the court. Langford has stated that he wants to be prepared for the NBA and he wants to play with talent, though was quick to clarify that talent doesn't necessarily mean from his own class. 

Let's look at the situations.

Kansas on the surface seems like a great fit. They win every year, they always have talent, etc., etc. But, they do have two other burger boys and both Lawson brothers (transfers from Memphis) new to the team. I'm sure Self will get them to play team ball, but one thing that made Kansas so good this year was they were playing veteran guys who had been together for several years. With all this new talent there will be guys looking to "get theirs" and put on a show for the NBA. Kansas will be good, no doubt, but IMO it will be one of their teams that falters in March. 

Now Vandy, you have a great class if he commits, for sure. But, there isn't much else there. It will be a freshmen dominated team and there has the potential for a lot of growing pains. We've seen both Cal and K struggle with this, and I don't think Vandy/Drew are really set up to deal with those challenges. There's just not much around that class. 

Now with IU, again being biased, I think Langford is the perfect fit. We have a veteran all-conference big coming back, but Morgan isn't a high volume guy. He doesn't hunt shots constantly. He gets a lot of his from junk yard dog/system stuff, and his offense will compliment Langford nicely. On the wing you have McRoberts. He will take the defensive pressure off Langford. McRoberts will defend the other teams best perimeter player, so Langford doesn't have to worry about, and then offensively McRoberts doesn't need the ball at all. Really offensivley, the one thing IU is missing is the exact skill set Langford brings. IU certainly has question marks, but IMO the opening at Langford's spot is there for the taking, and it's a seamless fit. IU has veterans coming back to handle leadership, and he can just come in and play his game with tons of support. 

Again, I'm biased, I get it. It would also be easy to say IU is in flux and hasn't won and the veterans coming back aren't talented enough. But again, IMO, the fit just seems perfect. 

I’m with you.  Couple things to add...

KU actually already has 3 burger boys - Grimes, Dotson, McCormack.

RL obviously has the skill set to be a OAD.  He has stated he will make the jump when he is ready.  What if he stays an additional year?  God forbid, what if an injury occurred?  It doesn’t take a genius to see that Archie has the recruiting ball rolling.  You can almost already pencil in that he’s going to be bringing in studs for that 2019 class whether it be TJD, Brooks, Watford or whoever else.  The dude can flat out recruit and I’m ok claiming that with a small sample size.  Can Drew do it in consecutive years?  I have my doubts.  KU obviously will be there.  IU at least gives him an insurance policy that he’ll be on a solid team if the opportunity arises for a soph campaign.

10 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

I’m with you.  Couple things to add...

KU actually already has 3 burger boys - Grimes, Dotson, McCormack.

RL obviously has the skill set to be a OAD.  He has stated he will make the jump when he is ready.  What if he stays an additional year?  God forbid, what if an injury occurred?  It doesn’t take a genius to see that Archie has the recruiting ball rolling.  You can almost already pencil in that he’s going to be bringing in studs for that 2019 class whether it be TJD, Brooks, Watford or whoever else.  The dude can flat out recruit and I’m ok claiming that with a small sample size.  Can Drew do it in consecutive years?  I have my doubts.  KU obviously will be there.  IU at least gives him an insurance policy that he’ll be on a solid team if the opportunity arises for a soph campaign.

0 five star recruits signed is certainly a very small sample size.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

0 five star recruits signed is certainly a very small sample size.

Reeling off the 21st best recruiting class in 5 months time?  That’s big time.  Great position with studs in 2019?  Writing is on the wall.  I’ll take it all day long.

Edit:  Also, it’s not always about 5 stars - see Villanova.  Arch is building something big.

2 hours ago, rico said:

Crean got fired for his inability to sustain success.  Lots of variable involved in that.

Bruce Weber had no contingency plan when Eric Gordon committed to Illinois.  And when Eric decided to leave Illinois for Indiana BAM was left holding the bag.  I said it then...and I will say it again... any coach worth his salt, cannot put his job on the line depending on what a 17 or 18 year old kid is telling him.  I also said it then, and I will say it again..... a verbal commitment, is not worth the paper it is written on. LOL. pun intended. Always have a backup plan.

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Bruce Weber had no contingency plan when Eric Gordon committed to Illinois.  And when Eric decided to leave Illinois for Indiana BAM was left holding the bag.  I said it then...and I will say it again... any coach worth his salt, cannot put his job on the line depending on what a 17 or 18 year old kid is telling him.  I also said it then, and I will say it again..... a verbal commitment, is not worth the paper it is written on. LOL. pun intended. Always have a backup plan.

Certainly sounds like Archie has one. The Evansville kid, and it also sounds like a JUCO kid, Devonte Bandoo is an option as well.

1 hour ago, CrimsonV said:

Reeling off the 21st best recruiting class in 5 months time?  That’s big time.  Great position with studs in 2019?  Writing is on the wall.  I’ll take it all day long.

Edit:  Also, it’s not always about 5 stars - see Villanova.  Arch is building something big.

Agree with your general point, but to be accurate Villanova has 2 5*'s in their starting lineup. 

2 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

WE certainly have two of the better ones with Clif and Schilling. But I would assume Kansas has some studs in that department as well.

Sure, but why go so far away when you can develop at IU?  And why eschew being a massive home state hero for the rest of your life?  Those guys are on scholarship for the rest of their lives.  

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree with your general point, but to be accurate Villanova has 2 5*'s in their starting lineup. 

When I said it’s not all about 5 stars of course I didn’t mean zero 5 stars.  A couple 5 stars sprinkled in over 4 recruiting classes makes perfect sense.

1 minute ago, CrimsonV said:

When I said it’s not all about 5 stars of course I didn’t mean zero 5 stars.  A couple 5 stars sprinkled in over 4 recruiting classes makes perfect sense.

Cal does not only need 5 star players, but he needs multiple top 5 or top 10 players to be highly successful.  

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Now with IU, again being biased, I think Langford is the perfect fit. We have a veteran all-conference big coming back, but Morgan isn't a high volume guy. He doesn't hunt shots constantly. He gets a lot of his from junk yard dog/system stuff, and his offense will compliment Langford nicely.

Who does Vandy have down low? Anybody that will require as much attention as Juwan to take pressure off of Romeo? 

I too think we have a great fit for Romeo, but i'm NOT trying to biased. And I think what you wrote above is a bigger factor in his decision than just being the 'hometown team'. Everything I've heard and read points to Romeo analyzing a coaches system and how he fits into it. He's never muttered a word about 'staying home' or 'the opportunity to be an Indiana legend.' The impression I get is that the kid is making a straight-up basketball decision; he's making it with his head and not his heart.  

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Villanova's recruiting rankings the last 4 years

They do get some top prospects but most of their roster is made up of 3 and 4 star players.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Villanova's recruiting rankings the last 4 years

They do get some top prospects but most of their roster is made up of 3 and 4 star players.

I'm not trying to act like Villanova is UK or Duke, but 5 of their top 6 scorers (according to 24/7) were 5 or 4 star recruits. Paschall was a transfer, from a mid-major so probably was not ranked highly. 

Spellman - 5* ranked 20

Brunson - 5* ranked 22

Booth - 4* ranked 75

Bridges - 4* ranked 81st

DiVincenzo - 4* ranked 124 (though I concede in the old format that's a 3*)

Like I said that's not UK or Duke, but that's pretty consistent with the next tier of schools down the list. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not trying to act like Villanova is UK or Duke, but 5 of their top 6 scorers (according to 24/7) were 5 or 4 star recruits. Paschall was a transfer, from a mid-major so probably was not ranked highly. 

Spellman - 5* ranked 20

Brunson - 5* ranked 22

Booth - 4* ranked 75

Bridges - 4* ranked 81st

DiVincenzo - 4* ranked 124 (though I concede in the old format that's a 3*)

Like I said that's not UK or Duke, but that's pretty consistent with the next tier of schools down the list. 

I wonder whose 2019-2020 team could mirror those rankings???  Just sayin 

5 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

I wonder whose 2019-2020 team could mirror those rankings???  Just sayin 

Right? Don't get me wrong by my posts, I love the way Jay Wright has built his teams, and would love for IU to have similar rosters. 

2 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

Guess we have different definitions of “big time.”  I definitely like the potential of the players we currently have signed, but the 21st ranked recruiting class isn’t much to write home about at this point.  I don’t think you can crown anyone a “stud recruiter” until they’ve landed multiple five stars, or at least until the three and four stars they’ve recruited have translated into conference and tournament success.

And being in good position with recruits means absolutely nothing if you don’t ultimately land them.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. 

Archived