MLB discussion

rico

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/17/2017 at 10:40 AM, FritzIam4IU said:

Me too...especially after reading that Cobb was reportedly asking for 4/80 million. I'm going to guesstimate Darvish gets around 6 years 150/160 million especially since the Dodgers are apparently not able to afford him with the luxury tax.

Evidently I have been misled........I thought the Dodgers were the NL version of the Yankees?  Luxury tax?  My, my, my.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Evidently I have been misled........I thought the Dodgers were the NL version of the Yankees?  Luxury tax?  My, my, my.

Reports are they wanted to cut spending this season...They need to resign Kershaw next season as well.

http://dodgersdigest.com/2017/12/17/dodgers-are-now-21-million-under-luxury-tax-but-more-needed-to-make-a-2018-splash/

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Man, the MLB teams in Florida just can't keep up.  

Yeah,  with the fact that Florida has no state taxes you would think more guys would stay and play there... all things being equal 

18 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Yeah,  with the fact that Florida has no state taxes you would think more guys would stay and play there... all things being equal 

The Florida teams have attendance problems.  No attendance=less money.  Have to cut pay roll.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:20 PM, rico said:

Darvish met with the Astros yesterday.

Call me crazy, but Darvish doesn't excite me (and it has nothing to do with the World Series). I didn't want us to trade for Darvish at the deadline and don't wholly want him now. Don't get me wrong, he's a good pitcher, but not as great as many opine. I believe him to be overrated. He's a good #2, but most people talk about him as an ace. I don't buy that. I've never looked at him as the bulldog or stopper type who you can look at and count him as a virtual win. If we sign him then I'll be giddy (depending on terms of the contract) because our rotation will be stacked and arguably the best in baseball, but it'll also mean that next year we will be saying goodbye to Keuchel who is a free agent at the end of the year. We might be saying bye to him regardless. I want my Astros to go out and sign someone like Addison Reed or make a trade for a lefty reliever and be done with the off-season. I'm waiting for the trade to happen. We don't have enough rotation spots for all of our starters.

2 hours ago, Astrosws20 said:

Call me crazy, but Darvish doesn't excite me (and it has nothing to do with the World Series). I didn't want us to trade for Darvish at the deadline and don't wholly want him now. Don't get me wrong, he's a good pitcher, but not as great as many opine. I believe him to be overrated. He's a good #2, but most people talk about him as an ace. I don't buy that. I've never looked at him as the bulldog or stopper type who you can look at and count him as a virtual win. If we sign him then I'll be giddy (depending on terms of the contract) because our rotation will be stacked and arguably the best in baseball, but it'll also mean that next year we will be saying goodbye to Keuchel who is a free agent at the end of the year. We might be saying bye to him regardless. I want my Astros to go out and sign someone like Addison Reed or make a trade for a lefty reliever and be done with the off-season. I'm waiting for the trade to happen. We don't have enough rotation spots for all of our starters.

I hear you and completely understand.  And to be honest I think Darvish would do better in the NL.  

4 hours ago, Astrosws20 said:

Agreed on Darvish.  Somebody is going to overspend for him, I just hope it isn't the Cubs.  He's had some injury issues including Tommy John surgery, and is 31.  I'd be a little wary giving him the $100-150 million contract someone will probably give him.

I really like the Astros' staff.  Definitely some very good arms, but injury concerns would make it easier for them to carry 6 starters and stash one as a long relief guy in the pen until he's needed in the rotation.  Kind of like the Dodgers did with Maeda for the 2nd half of this season.

43 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Speculation about Harper to the Cubs next offseason...

https://www.fanragsports.com/murray-cubs-appear-to-be-favorites-to-land-bryce-harper/

I'd like to see the Cubs take a shot at trading for Machado and give up Russell and a couple prospects.  If he signs after next year, they've got a better, long term option at short.  Keep Baez at 2nd, and that will be a killer infield on defense and hitting.  Outfield would be fine with Schwarber (interested to see how he'll be out there), Almora, and somebody in right (maybe Happ?).  Wouldn't be able to sign Machado and Harper, but with a year of Machado hopefully enjoying playing in Chicago, there'd be a pretty good chance they could get one of the two to sign next offseason if they wanted them.  If they get Harper, move Baez to short and Happ to 2nd and with Harper in right, that's a deadly lineup too.

15 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'd like to see the Cubs take a shot at trading for Machado and give up Russell and a couple prospects.  If he signs after next year, they've got a better, long term option at short.  Keep Baez at 2nd, and that will be a killer infield on defense and hitting.  Outfield would be fine with Schwarber (interested to see how he'll be out there), Almora, and somebody in right (maybe Happ?).  Wouldn't be able to sign Machado and Harper, but with a year of Machado hopefully enjoying playing in Chicago, there'd be a pretty good chance they could get one of the two to sign next offseason if they wanted them.  If they get Harper, move Baez to short and Happ to 2nd and with Harper in right, that's a deadly lineup too.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/orioles-pull-machado-from-trade-block-and-may-be-looking-to-compete-after-all/

Archived