MLB discussion

rico

8 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Can we just reticle this thread "The Cubs" and then start a new one about MLB?

I'm up for talking about whatever teams/players as well. It just happened that a few of us Cub fans started discussing offseason moves...we might need someone to start a "2018" baseball thread soon though!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I didn't watch a ton of Astro games this season, but I was very impressed with how Hinch managed and handled the pitching staff in the playoffs.

That's why I think he'll win. Just being showcased over a 7 game series will sway a lot of voters. Molitor took a cellar dweller  to the playoffs in one year, but did so basically in anonymity 

9 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

That's why I think he'll win. Just being showcased over a 7 game series will sway a lot of voters. Molitor took a cellar dweller  to the playoffs in one year, but did so basically in anonymity 

I like Molitor. Hinch just impressed me how he actually let his pitchers pitch and didn't seem to go with the annoying (to me) trend of yanking a pitcher early. I also liked how he went to others to close out the games when his normal closer didn't have it. I really believe that most managers would have been stubborn in that situation.

1 hour ago, rico said:

This is what I was hearing before. I actually like the deal as long as they look at Samardzija as a #5 starter or out of the pen. This would open up an OF spot for Schwarber LF, Almora CF, and Happ RF...I heard rumblings they might target Harper after he becomes a free agent next season...not sure if I buy that one just yet but this would help with that possibility.

I'm normally watching what the Cardinals are doing during the offseason, but I am almost more interested in what the Brewers do this year...I'm wondering if they try to go all in or not.

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I'm normally watching what the Cardinals are doing during the offseason, but I am almost more interested in what the Brewers do this year...I'm wondering if they try to go all in or not.

I think the best thing for the Cardinals would be to try to rebuild for a year.  They have some young talent, but they aren't ready to compete with the Dodgers, Cubs, or Nationals.  Their offseason plan should definitely be geared towards 2019 instead of 2018 in my opinion.

For the Brewers, I'm not sure which team we'll see.  I think they overachieved a little last year, and they have a lot of question marks.  When will Braun get hurt?  What kind of player is Thames?  After March last year he hit 20 home runs with only 44 RBI and 55 runs, usually from 1st or 2nd in the order.  Will Shaw and Santiago repeat their success?  Their pitching staff is full of question marks too.

Unless they make some good moves this offseason, I don't see them holding up for a whole season.  They were a .500 team after the All Star break, and I see them about like that this year if they don't make some moves.  They don't seem like they're really set up for sustained success with a young core, so I could see them trying to make a big move this offseason.

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

The Pirates definitely need to rebuild.  Their offense has major holes.  McCutchen is a free agent next year, so I would be shocked if he isn't traded between now and the deadline.  They have some good young arms, so that would be a start to build around.

Marte is another guy I would keep an eye on as well.

14 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Well, Molitor won Manager of the Year. Glad to see his work acknowledged for a small market team 

I thought I read that the Twins were the first team in MLB history to loose a hundred games and turn around and make the play-offs the following year?

I

19 minutes ago, rico said:

I thought I read that the Twins were the first team in MLB history to loose a hundred games and turn around and make the play-offs the following year?

I think that is correct. Molitor also had to handle a situation where they were sellers at the trade deadline. They traded Kintzler, their All-Star closer to Washington for prospects, and also traded Garcia whom they had just acquired as a starting pitcher. Clearly, the message at that time was that the Twins were again rebuilding. Molitor was able to rally the troops, and they played excellent ball from Aug. 1st on.

2 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I

I think that is correct. Molitor also had to handle a situation where they were sellers at the trade deadline. They traded Kintzler, their All-Star closer to Washington for prospects, and also traded Garcia whom they had just acquired as a starting pitcher. Clearly, the message at that time was that the Twins were again rebuilding. Molitor was able to rally the troops, and they played excellent ball from Aug. 1st on.

Loved Paul as a player, but you are spot on.  He took a bunch of empty beer cans and built a cadillac.  Amazing job.

4 hours ago, rico said:

Wow, Votto came that close?  Am I right in thinking that Andre Dawson was the the only MVP to play on a last place team?

I'm not sure if he was the only one, but I remember Dawson's MVP season in 87...49 home runs and I think around 137 RBIs. Dawson was awesome...especially at Wrigley.

13 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I'm not sure if he was the only one, but I remember Dawson's MVP season in 87...49 home runs and I think around 137 RBIs. Dawson was awesome...especially at Wrigley.

The one thing I'll never forget is actually how Andre Dawson became a Cub. It was the "blank contract" approach. Google it. Funny stuff how it worked out. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The one thing I'll never forget is actually how Andre Dawson became a Cub. It was the "blank contract" approach. Google it. Funny stuff how it worked out. 

Ha. I remember that. I know he wanted to play at Wrigley/natural grass due to his knees and I believe ended up playing for like 500,000 after basically telling the Cubs to make him an offer to sign there. He was one of my all time favorite players.

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Ha. I remember that. I know he wanted to play at Wrigley/natural grass due to his knees and I believe ended up playing for like 500,000 after basically telling the Cubs to make him an offer to sign there. He was one of my all time favorite players.

Yep. Cubs were historically cheap and had to pay the guys who won in 84 so much they told Dallas Green. No more than x dollar amount and Andre took it. One of the most unique contract negotiations that no one discusses. 

Archived