MLB discussion

rico

19 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I have heard they want to target a controllable starter via trade (Archer?). I also believe the might try to get Cobb who I think was also with Tampa. The new pitching coach is from Tampa and him and Maddon know these pitchers as well. Theo said it would be nice to sign Wade Davis and Arrieta, but that they can't sign everybody they want...and since Arrieta is represented by Scott Boras, I doubt they will pay what he will want. No idea if they will ante up for Wade. Here is a good link for some Cub MLB rumors:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/chicago-cubs

I see where the Cubbies picked up a couple of pitchers and put them on their 40-man.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, rico said:

I see where the Cubbies picked up a couple of pitchers and put them on their 40-man.

Thanks for posting that...I hadn't checked for a day or two. I am hoping for a good winter meetings for the Cubs.

Personally I'm torn on if they should sign Wade Davis to a 3-4 year contract...I'm guessing he wants 4 years, maybe $60 million (ish), he's probably worth it now, but with his injury last year and age, not sure it would be a wise investment...but I also don't know what they would do at closer if he signs elsewhere.  I don't think there is a chance we sign Arrieta long term, and I'm good with that since he just hasn't looked the same for the most part the past 1.5 seasons.

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Thanks for posting that...I hadn't checked for a day or two. I am hoping for a good winter meetings for the Cubs.

Personally I'm torn on if they should sign Wade Davis to a 3-4 year contract...I'm guessing he wants 4 years, maybe $60 million (ish), he's probably worth it now, but with his injury last year and age, not sure it would be a wise investment...but I also don't know what they would do at closer if he signs elsewhere.  I don't think there is a chance we sign Arrieta long term, and I'm good with that since he just hasn't looked the same for the most part the past 1.5 seasons.

Well, I think the Cubs knew this day was coming.  And they have plenty of money as well as an abundance of positional players that are young.  I just don't know what they are going to do.  But it should be interesting as to how Theo handles it.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Well, I think the Cubs knew this day was coming.  And they have plenty of money as well as an abundance of positional players that are young.  I just don't know what they are going to do.  But it should be interesting as to how Theo handles it.

Yep. I think they are going to have to deal from the MLB roster if they want a young controllable starter. I'm guessing they deal from one or more of Schwarber, Baez, or Happ...

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

Yep. I think they are going to have to deal from the MLB roster if they want a young controllable starter. I'm guessing they deal from one or more of Schwarber, Baez, or Happ...

I agree, although I would hang on to Happ.

8 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I like Happ as well. I like Schwarber, but obviously he would be a better fit in the AL as a DH.

When discussing these things I just think Kyle is the odd man out.  No way I let Happ go.  And I would the say the same about Baez.  Trade Kyle and Zobrist.

2 hours ago, rico said:

When discussing these things I just think Kyle is the odd man out.  No way I let Happ go.  And I would the say the same about Baez.  Trade Kyle and Zobrist.

I'm not sure they can move Zobrist because of his age/remaining contract...however, I did read somewhere that Theo might explore swapping bad contracts via trade...I think someone threw out Heyward as a name, but I think he has a no trade clause so not sure if that is even a possibility. They could package Schwarber with prospects as well, although they don't have a ton of depth/talent in the minors anymore. I think the only true "untouchables" would be Contreras, Bryant, Rizzo, and maybe Russell. I also hope they don't trade Almora.

15 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I'm not sure they can move Zobrist because of his age/remaining contract...however, I did read somewhere that Theo might explore swapping bad contracts via trade...I think someone threw out Heyward as a name, but I think he has a no trade clause so not sure if that is even a possibility. They could package Schwarber with prospects as well, although they don't have a ton of depth/talent in the minors anymore. I think the only true "untouchables" would be Contreras, Bryant, Rizzo, and maybe Russell. I also hope they don't trade Almora.

Ya know what?  I ain't sold on Russell.  Baez can play that position.

I wouldn't trade Schwarber this year.  He still has decent value because of his power potential, but his stock is way down compared to what it could be.  If he hits like he is capable of, he is a competent enough outfielder to keep him in the NL, or trade him for a great return.  His advanced defensive metrics are mostly average, it's just that a lot of times when he makes errors, he makes them look really bad.  I'd also take his outfield defense over Zobrist's, but I'd take my dog's defense over Zobrist in the outfield.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Schwarber be somebody's personal catcher like Ross was last season.  Get about 30 games behind the plate to give Contreras some days off (or in the OF to keep his bat in the lineup), another 20 games at DH, and that puts him around only 90 or so games in the outfield if you factor in games he sits.  Plus, he loves catching, and I think it puts him in a much better mindset.  Don't know if it would ever be a viable option, but in a perfect world it would be nice.

The Cubs really need a table setter at the top of the lineup.  Whatever Maddon was doing with the lineup without one last year wasn't working.  Total runs weren't bad, but they racked up a ton of useless runs in 16-2 blowouts, and then would do nothing for a day or two.  There was no consistency.  I could see Almora being that person at the top.  I'd be interested in Baez there too.  He seems to hit better when he has an on base mindset compared to a driving in runs mindset.

They could definitely use some more pitching.  Pretty much everywhere.  It's good enough to win a lot of games, but come playoffs it isn't good enough to get it done.

9 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I wouldn't trade Schwarber this year.  He still has decent value because of his power potential, but his stock is way down compared to what it could be.  If he hits like he is capable of, he is a competent enough outfielder to keep him in the NL, or trade him for a great return.  His advanced defensive metrics are mostly average, it's just that a lot of times when he makes errors, he makes them look really bad.  I'd also take his outfield defense over Zobrist's, but I'd take my dog's defense over Zobrist in the outfield.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Schwarber be somebody's personal catcher like Ross was last season.  Get about 30 games behind the plate to give Contreras some days off (or in the OF to keep his bat in the lineup), another 20 games at DH, and that puts him around only 90 or so games in the outfield if you factor in games he sits.  Plus, he loves catching, and I think it puts him in a much better mindset.  Don't know if it would ever be a viable option, but in a perfect world it would be nice.

The Cubs really need a table setter at the top of the lineup.  Whatever Maddon was doing with the lineup without one last year wasn't working.  Total runs weren't bad, but they racked up a ton of useless runs in 16-2 blowouts, and then would do nothing for a day or two.  There was no consistency.  I could see Almora being that person at the top.  I'd be interested in Baez there too.  He seems to hit better when he has an on base mindset compared to a driving in runs mindset.

They could definitely use some more pitching.  Pretty much everywhere.  It's good enough to win a lot of games, but come playoffs it isn't good enough to get it done.

Great post and thoughts.

12 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I agree that Schwarber's stock is down and I would prefer to "sell high" on him...I just wonder if the Cubs will be patient with a crowded outfield. I'm good with keeping him in left field as well, but they are going to have to trade 1-2 of these guys if they want a good controllable starting pitcher.

They definitely have a glaring need at leadoff. I'm with you with Almora maybe being that guy...not so much with Baez. I just don't like his plate discipline for top of the order, and I hate when Maddon bats him 8th since pitchers generally don't have to pitch to him ahead of the pitcher spot and he can't lay off the pitches out of the zone.

I really hope they can land another top of the rotation starter since I don't see Lester being more than a "3" in the rotation going forward. I would prefer they keep Montgomery in the pen instead of being slotted as the #5 starter.

With CJ Edwards being a little hit or miss last year I'm not sure he has the temperament for a closer...hopefully they address that. 

Would you guys try to sign Wade Davis to a 3/4 year deal or no? I am on the fence with that.

4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I agree that Schwarber's stock is down and I would prefer to "sell high" on him...I just wonder if the Cubs will be patient with a crowded outfield. I'm good with keeping him in left field as well, but they are going to have to trade 1-2 of these guys if they want a good controllable starting pitcher.

They definitely have a glaring need at leadoff. I'm with you with Almora maybe being that guy...not so much with Baez. I just don't like his plate discipline for top of the order, and I hate when Maddon bats him 8th since pitchers generally don't have to pitch to him ahead of the pitcher spot and he can't lay off the pitches out of the zone.

I really hope they can land another top of the rotation starter since I don't see Lester being more than a "3" in the rotation going forward. I would prefer they keep Montgomery in the pen instead of being slotted as the #5 starter.

With CJ Edwards being a little hit or miss last year I'm not sure he has the temperament for a closer...hopefully they address that. 

Would you guys try to sign Wade Davis to a 3/4 year deal or no? I am on the fence with that.

I agree that Baez at 8th made no sense.  No reason to give him a ball in the zone, and he knows the pitcher is on deck so he has to be the one to do damage. Double whammy.  I'd be interested if he'd change his approach if he was towards the top of the order.

I'd be fine with letting Davis go.  He's going to demand a lot of money, but at 32 with some injury issues, and slightly regressing numbers the last couple years, I think he's only an elite closer for maybe another year or two.  Not sure if he's worth the $15+ million he'll probably get.  I'd like to see them use one of Edwards, Strop, or Rondon until July and try to trade for a one or two year contract guy at the deadline.  Then this offseason they can use the money they save on Davis for a starter or bullpen depth.

Houston showed that you can win a World Series without an elite closer.  If you have a decent 4th starter (which the Cubs would if they sign or trade for a top 4 guy), he can be just as valuable out of the pen as a good closer.  Montgomery might even be that guy out of the pen already.  Maddon learning how to manage a pitching staff in the playoffs so they aren't all burnt out would be a huge help too.

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Maddon learning how to manage a pitching staff in the playoffs so they aren't all burnt out would be a huge help too.

This!!!!  I like Maddon as a manager and think he does a lot of really good things, but he drives me insane with his use of the bullpen in the playoffs. I remember sitting in disbelief last year when he pulled Hendricks in game 7 of WS when he was cruising along.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Always thought he retired too early.  Sounds as if he just recently got his pilot license.  

Well, he had made his millions.  And I don't understand why guys that have that much money want to fly themselves around.

Archived