Victor Oladipo

There are several of options for pg/sf in free agency. I like Vic’s old teammate Elfrid Payton. Rajon Rondo appears to be available too, and say what you will, he’s a fantastic pass first guard. Then of course we could always go after Yogi, even though he’s restricted, it would be fun watching him and Vic getting some run together again. There’s a couple of options that I like at small forward, too. I really think that Jabari Parker has the ability to play at a high level in this league, but my question to him would be.... at what expense? If he plays unselfish basketball like he did in the Buck’s final few playoff games, then yes, I’d take a chance. If not - move along. Trevor Ariza also intrigues me. He’s a three and d guy. I just hope that playing in Houston over the past few years hasn’t spoiled him.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

There’s a huge difference in their rosters. If you ranked their roster, including Hayward and Irving, the Celtics have 6 of the top 7 guys. 

Oh man, that's a bold statement. At this point, I think Vic is the best player on either team. But I'm not sure I buy that Sabonis and Turner would be the 7th and 8th best players on the Celtics. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

There’s a huge difference in their rosters. If you ranked their roster, including Hayward and Irving, the Celtics have 6 of the top 7 guys. 

1-3 Hayward, VO, Kyrie.. those are the best 3. Regardless of order. 

4-7 Tatum, Brown, Horford, Sabonis. 

7-11- Bog, Thad, Rozier, Turner. 

Who would be above Sabonis? Rozier? I could see that maybe, but I think it's safe to say Sabonis has more upside. 

4 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Bogey can already shoot the three. Thad plays the four. 

That’s true but when Bogeys on the bench we don’t have anyone to stretch the floor and I’m not sure Bogeys good enough to start on a conference final contender anyway. Thad/Miles/Sabonis shoot about 6 threes a game at ~34%. It’s even worse with the second unit on the floor as lance is awful and Joseph is an average shooter at best.

Hopefully TJ develops and I’m not sure what’s the deal with Robinson is but some better shooting would be nice.

Cant really complain though as we won about 18 games more than expected.

6 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

That’s true but when Bogeys on the bench we don’t have anyone to stretch the floor and I’m not sure Bogeys good enough to start on a conference final contender anyway. Thad/Miles/Sabonis shoot about 6 threes a game at ~34%. It’s even worse with the second unit on the floor as lance is awful and Joseph is an average shooter at best.

Hopefully TJ develops and I’m not sure what’s the deal with Robinson is but some better shooting would be nice.

Cant really complain though as we won about 18 games more than expected.

And VO and Sabonis were healthy our winning % was significantly better. Sabonis is going to improve a lot imo. 

38 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh man, that's a bold statement. At this point, I think Vic is the best player on either team. But I'm not sure I buy that Sabonis and Turner would be the 7th and 8th best players on the Celtics. 

I love Vic, he’s got to do it longer than one year before we entertain him being better than Kyrie. Kyrie has done it at the absolute highest level. 

I like Sabonis, not as high on Turner but he is a good young player, but who are either of them better than? The Celtics would laugh if the Pacers called them offering Sabonis straight up for either Tatum or Jaylen Brown, and Sabonis isn’t better than Irving, Hayward or Horford. The only other one is Rozier, but he’s been playing at an All-Star level since Kyrie went down and is only 24 years old. 

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

1-3 Hayward, VO, Kyrie.. those are the best 3. Regardless of order. 

4-7 Tatum, Brown, Horford, Sabonis. 

7-11- Bog, Thad, Rozier, Turner. 

Who would be above Sabonis? Rozier? I could see that maybe, but I think it's safe to say Sabonis has more upside. 

I would put Rozier above Sabonis. Rozier has been playing at an All-Star level in since Kyrie went down. He’s averaging 19 points, 5 boards and 6.5 assists per game in the playoffs with a 5-1 assist to turnover ratio, and he’s only 24, so not sure it’s safe to say Sabonis has more upside. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I would put Rozier above Sabonis. Rozier has been playing at an All-Star level in since Kyrie went down. He’s averaging 19 points, 5 boards and 6.5 assists per game in the playoffs with a 5-1 assist to turnover ratio, and he’s only 24, so not sure it’s safe to say Sabonis has more upside. 

Sabonis is 22 and 6'11 though. Sabonis numbers were very similar when Turner was out and he was playing 35mins. For the season Sabonis avged more pts, rebs (obv), and Rozier avged .9assts more a game. I like Rozier a lot, just think Sabonis, overall, is better. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Sabonis is 22 and 6'11 though. Sabonis numbers were very similar when Turner was out and he was playing 35mins. For the season Sabonis avged more pts, rebs (obv), and Rozier avged .9assts more a game. I like Rozier a lot, just think Sabonis, overall, is better. 

Right but Rozier was playing behind an MVP candidate for most of the season so of course his season numbers are going to be lower. When he has had the chance to start he’s been the driving force, playing at an all-star level, on a team heading to the Eastern Conference Finals. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Right but Rozier was playing behind an MVP candidate for most of the season so of course his season numbers are going to be lower. When he has had the chance to start he’s been the driving force, playing at an all-star level, on a team heading to the Eastern Conference Finals. 

Right he's been fantastic. Sabonis didn't play that much either though.. just like Rozier. You'd take Rozier, I'd take Sabonis. I think it's fair to say it's certainly close. 

I think Boston, Indiana are in the best spots in the east moving forward though. Toronto? Maybe Washington? LeBron can't do this forever. 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

And VO and Sabonis were healthy our winning % was significantly better. Sabonis is going to improve a lot imo. 

Without a doubt, he’s aleeady got a decent enough stroke to go along with that insane workrate. I actually like Thad btw, I’m just not sure how to really improve this squad in FA.

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

Without a doubt, he’s aleeady got a decent enough stroke to go along with that insane workrate. I actually like Thad btw, I’m just not sure how to really improve this squad in FA.

Only two options imo... upgrade at the 3 or 4... and Bog or Thad be willing to go to the bench. 

BUT... remember... Sabonis and Turner are both still only 22. Our improvement could simply be those two improving. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Right he's been fantastic. Sabonis didn't play that much either though.. just like Rozier. You'd take Rozier, I'd take Sabonis. I think it's fair to say it's certainly close. 

I think Boston, Indiana are in the best spots in the east moving forward though. Toronto? Maybe Washington? LeBron can't do this forever. 

Agree, it’s certainly a worthy debate and not clear cut between the two. But take them out and I’d still say the Celtics have 6 of the top 7 between the two rosters then, with a debate between Rozier and Sabonis at the next spot. 

With that said, I would say the Celtics and Sixers are best positioned in the East over the next 5-8 years ahead of everyone else, and would put the Pacers in a group after that with Milwaukee, Toronto, and maybe a Washington (I’m not as high on the Wizards as others). 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, it’s certainly a worthy debate and not clear cut between the two. But take them out and I’d still say the Celtics have 6 of the top 7 between the two rosters then, with a debate between Rozier and Sabonis at the next spot. 

With that said, I would say the Celtics and Sixers are best positioned in the East over the next 5-8 years ahead of everyone else, and would put the Pacers in a group after that with Milwaukee, Toronto, and maybe a Washington (I’m not as high on the Wizards as others). 

Forgot about the 6ers, no way Fultz and Simmons can play together imo. Milwaukee.. ehh. 

Pacers should have swept the Cs this year though ;)

Friggin Bog. Sigh 

Just now, btownqb said:

Only two options imo... upgrade at the 3 or 4... and Bog or Thad be willing to go to the bench. 

BUT... remember... Sabonis and Turner are both still only 22. Our improvement could simply be those two improving. 

Yeah, I hear you. That’s wild they’re both that young. I tried to throw in that caveat about performing over expectation. If we picked up somebody to send Bogey to the second unit I’d be over the moon. Also, Vic will have a better year than last. Everyone should take a look at Vic’s arch as an NBA player from a statistical POV...he’s improved almost every category slightly every single year. It’s pretty impressive.

14 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Yeah, I hear you. That’s wild they’re both that young. I tried to throw in that caveat about performing over expectation. If we picked up somebody to send Bogey to the second unit I’d be over the moon. Also, Vic will have a better year than last. Everyone should take a look at Vic’s arch as an NBA player from a statistical POV...he’s improved almost every category slightly every single year. It’s pretty impressive.

You can stretch that improvement all the way back to his high school days..incredible what a great work ethic/drive to succeed can do.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Rozier was given the opportunity to shine.  Give Sabonis that same opportunity and see what happens.  And Collison is not chopped liver.  Led the league in 3pt percentage and does not turn it over much. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I love Vic, he’s got to do it longer than one year before we entertain him being better than Kyrie. Kyrie has done it at the absolute highest level. 

I like Sabonis, not as high on Turner but he is a good young player, but who are either of them better than? The Celtics would laugh if the Pacers called them offering Sabonis straight up for either Tatum or Jaylen Brown, and Sabonis isn’t better than Irving, Hayward or Horford. The only other one is Rozier, but he’s been playing at an All-Star level since Kyrie went down and is only 24 years old. 

Kyrie did it with Lebron; Vic put up as big of numbers and is a much better defender. I don't understand what longevity has to do with it if we are projecting forward?

Summary of things you've said recently:

1) Stevens is a top two coach 

2) Celtics have a significantly better roster than Pacers both with regard to depth and at the top 

3) Celtics will probably lose to Cavs

Other facts:

4) Pacers should have swept Boston in regular season if not for one dumb play

5) Pacers should have beaten Cavs and outscored them by 39. 

Come on man, that clearly doesn't all add up to the conclusion you're trying to sell us. Somewhere in there the Pacers are being sold WAY short. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Turner belongs in there too. He is the best rim protector on either team by far and has a nice skill set on offense. Just because he didn't take the jump people hoped doesn't mean he doesn't belong in the same conversation. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Kyrie did it with Lebron; Vic put up as big of numbers and is a much better defender. I don't understand what longevity has to do with it if we are projecting forward?

Summary of things you've said recently:

1) Stevens is a top two coach 

2) Celtics have a significantly better roster than Pacers both with regard to depth and at the top 

3) Celtics will probably lose to Cavs

Other facts:

4) Pacers should have swept Boston in regular season if not for one dumb play

5) Pacers should have beaten Cavs and outscored them by 39. 

Come on man, that clearly doesn't all add up to the conclusion you're trying to sell us. Somewhere in there the Pacers are being sold WAY short. 

Stevens is a top 2 coach though, I think. Cs roster isn't significantly better, it's better but not by a ton. 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Stevens is a top 2 coach though, I think. Cs roster isn't significantly better, it's better but not by a ton. 

I agree Stevens is a top two coach; but it doesn't add up that hes such a good coach and the roster is so much better when the results say otherwise. 

The Pacers, when Vic was healthy, were as good as anyone in the East. I am of the belief that Vic was the best player in the East not named Lebron; I've never, ever, seen Kyrie lift a team to be better than their talent level. He had chances before Lebron and didn't. This team seemingly is no worse without Kyrie this year. 

Kyrie is an uber talent and can make any play, but it doesn't translate to extra wins IMO. He doesn't guard and is a poor distributor. He had all that great talent and only averaged five assists despite his ball dominant he is. 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree Stevens is a top two coach; but it doesn't add up that hes such a good coach and the roster is so much better when the results say otherwise. 

The Pacers, when Vic was healthy, were as good as anyone in the East. I am of the belief that Vic was the best player in the East not named Lebron; I've never, ever, seen Kyrie lift a team to be better than their talent level. He had chances before Lebron and didn't. This team seemingly is no worse without Kyrie this year. 

Kyrie is an uber talent and can make any play, but it doesn't translate to extra wins IMO. He doesn't guard and is a poor distributor. He had all that great talent and only averaged five assists despite his ball dominant he is. 

I don't disagree with anything you've said. It was obvious was Victor meant to us when he wasn't in the lineup. 

Archived