Most Impactful Freshmen Ever

Focusing on the year over year change in record, we took a look at some of the most impactful freshmen of all-time.  After a 16-15 season, that is probably the most important way that Romeo's impact will be measured.

Got another that you think should be here?

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/can-one-recruit-reverse-the-fortunes-of-a-college-basketball-program/

Nice article as always TDH, but without going into the history of each player, I really think it diminishes the situation of a complete reversal of coaching philosophies. I think Romeo will have a huge impact on next years team but ultimately, next years success will revolve around how well the team acclimates itself to Archie's coaching style, not what Romeo brings! I really think Romeo's biggest legacy will be that IU is the place the Hoosiers best want to play! 

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Nice article as always TDH, but without going into the history of each player, I really think it diminishes the situation of a complete reversal of coaching philosophies. I think Romeo will have a huge impact on next years team but ultimately, next years success will revolve around how well the team acclimates itself to Archie's coaching style, not what Romeo brings! I really think Romeo's biggest legacy will be that IU is the place the Hoosiers best want to play! 

I don't disagree with what you are saying.  Right or wrong, I think a lot of IU fans are expecting big things from Romeo next year.  I think it is a fun angle to look back at what the great freshman have done, and it might help frame expectations for next year.

Fun conversation. As I was looking back at year over  year records couple things stood out. I know it felt like it and I knew it was bad...but we lost in first round of tourney 5 out of 7 years from 95-01 seasons. That just hurts looking at.

Cody was biggest game changer. Some though (including myself) will debate whether in year 3 we should have been still at 12 wins only to warrant such a huge jump the following year.

I think Romeo was 6-7 win difference on this last year's team. I think he'll probably be similar this upcoming year because I see 23-24 win season so I'll say 8 win jump. Romeo"s the best player we"ve had on the court since Gordon. Hard to imagine but his greatest impact could be the impact off the court. I mean if an in state recruit says no...the obvious question is so IU is good enough for Romeo Langford (you know the top 3 rated player in the country) but not good enough for you? GTFOOH with that...

10 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

He was of course a great freshman, but the team's improvement upon his arrival was not as dramatic as the guys that were included.

I see Magic Johnson on your list and he led Mich. to a Nat'l Championship his sophomore year. Zeke did the same as well and not to mention being on the US Olympic team...

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I see Magic Johnson on your list and he led Mich. to a Nat'l Championship his sophomore year. Zeke did the same as well and not to mention being on the US Olympic team...

I'm not debating you on this because I agree, Isiah was a highly impactful freshman.  There was no science to who I included but the emphasis was on how much a team's record / results improved.  Michigan State went from 10-17 to 25-5 in one year, and that was all about Magic.

I'd say you either need to add Anthony Davis, because he was NPOTY on one of the greatest teams ever as a freshman or else you need to add Wall/Cousins as a combo. UK sucked before Cal got there and I feel like you have to add someone he has brought in.

This is a difficult thing to pin down.  For example, how much of the team improvement is really the freshman and how much can be attrubuted to the growth of the returning players?  

On the flip side there are frehmen that came to a succesful program that was set for a big decline because of graduation or injury, but help maintain the same level of success.  Joining a 25 win team that has lost 4 or 5 starters and maintaining 25 wins can be just as impactful as what Cody brought to IU.

49 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

As lackluster has his "superstar" career has been in the NBA, Carmello Anthony needs to be on here.  His team won Beiheim's one and only Natty.

I don't recall how much the win-loss record improved, but Melo was instrumental in winning that NC, he was simply unstoppable.

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Fun conversation. As I was looking back at year over  year records couple things stood out. I know it felt like it and I knew it was bad...but we lost in first round of tourney 5 out of 7 years from 95-01 seasons. That just hurts looking at.

Did you notice the rosters from all those seasons? 

I find it interesting the rosters before 95 on, were predominately indiana kids with some illinois and ohio and a random national player here and there.  After 95 the rosters have very few indiana kids.  Most of IU success was before 95. Coincidence? Maybe but im not so sure. 

I dont recall seeing one player from kentucky.  Lol

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Did you notice the rosters from all those seasons? 

I find it interesting the rosters before 95 on, were predominately indiana kids with some illinois and ohio and a random national player here and there.  After 95 the rosters have very few indiana kids.  Most of IU success was before 95. Coincidence? Maybe but im not so sure. 

I dont recall seeing one player from kentucky.  Lol

I'd have to go back and google some Knight quotes for information....but I think in 95 range Knight started chasing some of the ratings/rating services to try and change with the game. It backfired obviously. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd have to go back and google some Knight quotes for information....but I think in 95 range Knight started chasing some of the ratings/rating services to try and change with the game. It backfired obviously. 

I think that was about the time he let the assistants do a lot of the recruiting and RMK went hunting.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think that was about the time he let the assistants do a lot of the recruiting and RMK went hunting.

He was pretty fed up. The time was right after Fab 5 and right when Pitino was assembling things. He knew what was going on. 

7 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

As lackluster has his "superstar" career has been in the NBA, Carmello Anthony needs to be on here.  His team won Beiheim's one and only Natty.

Absolutely !  Yet, I am so old that I recall a time when freshmen were not allowed to compete until their Sophomore year.  True.  Google it. 

1 hour ago, macomb hoosier said:

Cool Topic. Here are three more:

1) Never Nervous Pervis: 84-85 record 19-18/ 85-86 record 32-7 + national champ.

2) Mike Bibby. He bumped Arizona from the Sweet sixteen to NCAA champs

3) Finally Jason Kidd: 91-92 California 10-18. Kidd's Frosh year 21-9 + sweet 16.

I wouldn't put Pervis on that list.  He joined a pretty good squad that under achieved the year before.  

21 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I checked them both out -- the team record impact wasn't huge -- but man they were studs weren't they?  I remember being worried about both of them in the NCAA tournament.

Yes they were.  I always forget the talent they had around them however.  

Archived