Anthony Leal is a Hoosier !

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I thought I heard Dakich say that IU should give him a seven day deadline.  I guess that means turning him away if he decides on IU at a later date?  I'm not sure.

I wish someone would give Dakich a 7 day deadline.

30 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I thought I heard Dakich say that IU should give him a seven day deadline.  I guess that means turning him away if he decides on IU at a later date?  I'm not sure.

I remember DD saying on RMK visit to his home that RMK asked DD if he was coming to IU or not.  He said if he didn't say yes right there then the offer would be pulled. I have heard that by more than one player talking about how RMK would recruit players.

33 minutes ago, Lurker said:

A really, really bad idea, IMHO.  Especially considered that Stanford offered before IU. 

Stanford provides an in to Silicon Valley and the potential for millions. IU provides for the chance to be beloved by millions and to play in front of mom and dad instead of them having to stay up all hours of the night to see him play. Plus, he can go home for some home cooked meat loaf anytime 😄.

35 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Stanford provides an in to Silicon Valley and the potential for millions. IU provides for the chance to be beloved by millions and to play in front of mom and dad instead of them having to stay up all hours of the night to see him play. Plus, he can go home for some home cooked meat loaf anytime 😄.

Lots of opportunities because of Stanford, but I'm pretty sure a local IU player that is a great student will have plenty of opportunities in Indiana or the Midwest in general.  Just depends where he wants to live, and how much he values mom's meatloaf.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Mom and Dad and 17,000 + basketball fanatics every home game.

Standford averaged less than 4,000 per home game last year. Fresno St averaged more.

As a conference the B10 averaged over 12,600 per game. Pac 12? Less than 7,500. Arizona was the ONLY Pac 12 school to average over 10k.

I understand the value of a Stanford education, but come on...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mom and Dad and 17,000 + basketball fanatics every home game.

Standford averaged less than 4,000 per home game last year. Fresno St averaged more.

As a conference the B10 averaged over 12,600 per game. Pac 12? Less than 7,500. Arizona was the ONLY Pac 12 to average over 10k.

I understand the value of a Stanford education, but come on...

I mean if he’s a guy who isn’t a guarantee to play at the next level, that Stanford degree is a big deal. A great example is Chasson Randle from Illinois a few years back. He was down to Stanford, Purdue, and Illinois. Picked Stanford, played on a bunch of crappy teams, but left with a Stanford degree. Everyone is different. 

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean if he’s a guy who isn’t a guarantee to play at the next level, that Stanford degree is a big deal. A great example is Chasson Randle from Illinois a few years back. He was down to Stanford, Purdue, and Illinois. Picked Stanford, played on a bunch of crappy teams, but left with a Stanford degree. Everyone is different. 

And yet, what is Chasson Randle doing nowadays?

Still trying to play basketball. And an IU degree isn't exactly worthless...

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No doubt. Less than 5% acceptance rate compared to 80% at IU...over $200,000 scholarship with avg earnings of a Stanford graduate at nearly 3x an IU graduate. Don’t get me wrong I know that can vary greatly by degree avg is avg and that ain’t no little thing. It’s a huge opportunity and you still get to play college basketball...it won’t be at Assembly Hall but maybe the magic for him has worn off ol Bloomington.

28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No doubt. Less than 5% acceptance rate compared to 80% at IU...over $200,000 scholarship with avg earnings of a Stanford graduate at nearly 3x an IU graduate. Don’t get me wrong I know that can vary greatly by degree avg is avg and that ain’t no little thing. It’s a huge opportunity and you still get to play college basketball...it won’t be at Assembly Hall but maybe the magic for him has worn off ol Bloomington.

I hate to break up the bromance here, but according to US News and World Report, your arithmetic skills need some refining...49k to 70k is not quite the "3X" you claimed. And if either one of you think the college basketball experience is going to be anywhere near as good at Stanford as it is at IU, you need professional help.

Screenshot_20190725-204825_Chrome.jpg

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Never said it was worthless. It’s a really good degree just like one from Purdue. But Stanford is on a different level. 

53 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's the real point.  If Anthony envisions a basketball life (e.g. playing some type of pro, then coaching etc.) then his degree isn't all that relevant. He could probably make more money as a pro then coach then he ever could otherwise.

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hate to break up the bromance here, but according to US News and World Report, your arithmetic skills need some refining...49k to 70k is not quite the "3X" you claimed. And if either one of you think the college basketball experience is going to be anywhere near as good at Stanford as it is at IU, you need professional help.

What is the average starting salary for Purdue Alumni?

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The difference is that is starting salary and not mid-career salary. Unfortunately alumni from IU pAy don’t rise the same as Stanford. Avg salary mid career for a Stanford grad is a little over 156k and for IU it’s about 67k. Meaning Stanford grads typically move up into higher management or salaries jump up more over time. Again this isn’t to say that every person will achieve only the avg etc...but the gap widens greatly the further out from graduation. You don’t base your future on your starting job/position but where u want to get to. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The difference is that is starting salary and not mid-career salary. Unfortunately alumni from IU pAy don’t rise the same as Stanford. Avg salary mid career for a Stanford grad is a little over 156k and for IU it’s about 67k. Meaning Stanford grads typically move up into higher management or salaries jump up more over time. Again this isn’t to say that every person will achieve only the avg etc...but the gap widens greatly the further out from graduation. You don’t base your future on your starting job/position but where u want to get to. 

It's a bit of a false comparison though.  If someone that could get accepted into Stanford instead went to IU, I would bet you that their earnings would be on par with Stanford averages.  I am sure that Stanford has great programs and professors, but let's be honest, those numbers look the way they do because the people that go to Stanford are really freaking smart.

Just now, The Daily Hoosier said:

It's a bit of a false comparison though.  If someone that could get accepted into Stanford instead went to IU, I would bet you that their earnings would be on par with Stanford averages.  I am sure that Stanford has great programs and professors, but let's be honest, those numbers look the way they do because the people that go to Stanford are really freaking smart.

Kinda...but a Stanford degree opens doors for people more so then just about any other degree in the US. Right or wrong it is kind of like University nepotism. Granted having Silicon Valley and those high paying jobs near by also probably play apart. I won’t disagree with you about the relative value of these degrees...there is certainly a lot we could get into and I’ll drop this discussion. Anthony has a tough choice...probably can’t go wrong. Could just be a situation where he has grown up in Bloomington and seeking to get away and experience college life outside of his home town. Basketball wise this would be no comparison...considering he has narrowed it to these two schools it’s clearly not just purely a basketball decision. Still think he stays home.

12 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

A BS communications degree from Stanford like most basketball players will get really isn’t much more valuable than the same degree from IU (and BS doesn’t stand for Bachelor of Science).

Andrew Luck has a degree in Architectural Design...so let’s not assume all athletes take the UNC route lol...but I do get a chuckle when I see their major when at the free throw line lol.

Archived