FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, hoosierBGH said:

Exactly, the revenue generation potential of basketball players far exceeds that of  baseball players. Basketball players also tend to be more closely tied to shoe companies than baseball players as well. I'm not sure being required to stay 3 years would make it worse simply due to the increased time until a potential payoff for the shoe companies but it certainly won't eliminate it altogether. 

Even more than that: the whole scheme is about taking advantage of the earnings/prestige of the players once they reach the NBA. Baseball players have three years in college plus several years in the minors and a high risk of not reaching potential.

Football players have three years in school, develop at different rates, and aren't all in prestigious positions.

Basketball players finishing high school are one year away from being a high draft pick with NBA star potential. That's why shoe companies are so eager to invest in them.

52 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

It could if the "G" League is further developed and the NBA draft and rosters were expanded a bit. These kids could then make some money playing in the G League.

They can already make money playing overseas for a year now, few take that option and almost none without pressure to do so. In order for that to stop the cheating, the G league would have to increase tremendously in popularity and publicity. 

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I have seen Matta mentioned as an interim on the UL board.  In fact most would prefer him to Crean.   Something about Crean not teaching players to play D.  No... seriously !

the visual that was the last two IU basketball teams was not pretty. The media almost making fun of the fact that guys didn't know how to, or wouldn't do something as basic as get into a defensive stance was certainly an indictment that either fundamentals weren't being taught, or were being ignored. Given that Crean was not considered for any of the openings that came about this past year, I think AD's realize that he has some glaring weaknesses. I think that more time needs to pass for people to forget these deficiencies before he gets an offer for a high profile position again.

7 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

Even more than that: the whole scheme is about taking advantage of the earnings/prestige of the players once they reach the NBA. Baseball players have three years in college plus several years in the minors and a high risk of not reaching potential.

Football players have three years in school, develop at different rates, and aren't all in prestigious positions.

Basketball players finishing high school are one year away from being a high draft pick with NBA star potential. That's why shoe companies are so eager to invest in them.

Good points. Basketball players also seem to be able to complete sooner/better earlier in the pros than in other sports. Also likely less chance of severely limiting injuries. 

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

My co-worker just told me that Kansas just got raided by people that rolled up in Suburbans. He was a scout team member of #iubb so he has some connections. Stay tuned.

Just now, Bushmage said:

22053183_3622435837174_1870501262_n.png?oh=bf6eb689bf7a48570226038be7ab4864&oe=59CEA4A9

the Nike tree is going to shake loose very soon

uh-oh NIKE? someone just pooped at the "Louisville is burning" keg party in Lexington.  Smoke seen coming from Sandy Bells office, I'm sure it's nothing.

Side note: i feel the need to change my handle, but i'll wait to see who the interim is.

Other side: The CURRENT rosters of a number of schools could shake up in the next few days/weeks, right?

Archived