FBI Arrests Coaches in Corruption Scandal

FW_Hoosier

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am just saying that I never bought these players saying they are starving when they can have all of this money.  I think they are already getting paid quit well if you ask me.  The total cost of attendance to IU is 24,900 plus all the pother benefits they get like training facilities plus medical treatment.  How many college students get paid this much each year.  They also get all of this free advertising every game they are on tv to show case their talents.

IU Scott, you a special kind of person.

28 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Logistics aside, the question is SHOULD they get paid? Do you really think that it it right for universities/NCAA to make money off of a kids name and talent when they can't profit from it themselves? If enough people are able to recognize the hypocrisy change will ultimately happen. I agree with you that it will be tough to determine who and how will be able to benefit monetarily, but just because there are obstacles in the way doesn't make it any less unjust. 

The reality of it is highly talented kids have two shitty paths to choose from. And the notion that the D-League/playing overseas is a viable option to the NCAA right now is absurd, because if it was, more kids would be choosing that path. The most logical fix would start with the NBA because I think they are the one ultimately responsible for this mess. They need to invest in their d-leauge, change the the age restriction, or both. Maybe they'll feel the pressure as this investigation rolls on. 

I get your point but it's just not practical. If you're an intern at Microsoft making $12 per hour and you come up with some epic, game changing innovation they aren't going to cut you a check for $10M. They are going to say "that's awesome, when you graduate you have a job". If players don't like the fact that their talents make others millions they can choose not to play in college. Baseball is a perfect example of this. The problem in my opinion isn't the NCAA refusing to pay players, it's the NFL and NBA treating the college ranks like their very own complimentary farm system. They are the ones who need to step up and create their own minor leagues so the cream of the high school game can go play there and get paid. The college game might lose all the standout talent but the quality of the product will improve, players will stay 3-4 years and it will be just as exciting and profitable. But yes, in a perfect world I do think these kids should be able to make money off their likeness....we don't live in that world and we never will. It would ruin college sports as we know it.

18 minutes ago, iRepIU said:

IF he did, he wouldnt be eligible would he? or since he hasnt enrolled yet, hes still open to being recruited? 

I was under the impression once someone took money they were no longer considered amateur 

If he was just committed there's a chance he wasn't paid anything yet. Might have got lucky. We should ask someone at UK how this goes. Do payments begin with a commit, signing or when they show up on campus?

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I get your point but it's just not practical. If you're an intern at Microsoft making $12 per hour and you come up with some epic, game changing innovation they aren't going to cut you a check for $10M. They are going to say "that's awesome, when you graduate you have a job". If players don't like the fact that their talents make others millions they can choose not to play in college. Baseball is a perfect example of this. The problem in my opinion isn't the NCAA refusing to pay players, it's the NFL and NBA treating the college ranks like their very own complimentary farm system. They are the ones who need to step up and create their own minor leagues so the cream of the high school game can go play there and get paid. The college game might lose all the standout talent but the quality of the product will improve, players will stay 3-4 years and it will be just as exciting and profitable. But yes, in a perfect world I do think these kids should be able to make money off their likeness....we don't live in that world and we never will. It would ruin college sports as we know it.

Totally agree because the solution to this problem is not to pay the players but get rid of the one and done rule.  Go to the baseball model and let them go straight from high school but if you go to college you go for 3 years.  This would get rid of the players who don't care about college and leave the game to actual student athletes.  This would eliminate the agents and shoe companies having to bribe coaches to get their players to go to their agency.

29 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I don't think that schools should pay athletes for all the logistical reasons mentioned.  But I do think athletes should be able to make money off of their name/brand from outside sources if they are able to.

Like you said, it was wrong for shoe companies to be bidding on recruits with the way the system is currently set up, and those involved deserve what's coming to them.  But in principle, I don't have a problem with high-level athletes receiving money from outside businesses.  I'd like to see a system set up that allows athletes to receive that kind of money above the board.

I think even the NCAA would be fine with that if not for the slippery slope that would occur as a result. It would open pandora's box to bribing players to come play for your preferred institution and there would be little to nothing the NCAA could do as a result because the purpose for the payment can easily be manipulated to fit that mold. I think what they need is a system in place where players can submit an application for one off opportunities, let the NCAA clear it and not an act of cheating/bribery and therefore the kid can make money in a reasonable fashion. This is where the NCAA is failing these kids by not allowing for any common sense flexibility. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Totally agree because the solution to this problem is not to pay the players but get rid of the one and done rule.  Go to the baseball model and let them go straight from high school but if you go to college you go for 3 years.  This would get rid of the players who don't care about college and leave the game to actual student athletes.  This would eliminate the agents and shoe companies having to bribe coaches to get their players to go to their agency.

The one and done rule was masked as a ploy to keep top talent in college for one year. In reality it was the NBA pulling puppet strings because owners were tired of major draft busts out of high school so it allowed them one year to check these kids out and see who's for real. All it does is help the NBA and spoils the NCAA product.

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

If he was just committed there's a chance he wasn't paid anything yet. Might have got lucky. We should ask someone at UK how this goes. Do payments begin with a commit, signing or when they show up on campus?

I'm sure the act of soliciting the $100k is enough to be ruled ineligible. 

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Thoughts on the situation with Vonleh?  The FBI is going to get to know Kenny very well in the coming weeks and months.

Do we even care if we vacate that season?  I'll be upset if we vacate the B1G title with Yogi and Thomas, but 0708 seemed to think we were good there. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

But let's dumb this down and say what it really is:

Colleges are telling athletes (kids, mind you): we'll house you, feed you, and give you an 'education' so we can make millions of dollars off of your talent and your name. BUT you can't profit from your talent or your name.

Of course this is not for all athletes, only the best of the best, but it is not even remotely fair. And sometimes I wonder how in this day and age it is even legal. 

Colleges have been doing this with academic students from the beginning. Who do you think does the bulk of the actual research work and writing while the professors and the school get the bulk of the benefit. It is part of the deal, the university gets the benefits of their effort and the students get the opportunity, access, support and instruction that they wouldn't get otherwise.  It is basically a more modern version of apprenticeship. I'm more likely to be concerned  about the students that don't even get a full or partial scholarship for their work than  I am an entitled athlete that happens to be good at a profitable sport but the bottom line is both students and athletes know the deal and voluntarily choose it.  

17 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Ok, we agree on a lot there.

But I can't help but pointing out: These kids value and talent is known before they go to college.

If you have an awesome innovation, you won't be going to Microsoft and say, "can I intern for you? I have an awesome innovation I want you to make money off of.."  No, you'll bid your innovation out and if Microsoft wants you to work for them and develop that innovation in-house....they'll pay you accordingly. Maybe even negotiate royalties with you. (Or they'll just hire a bunch of lawyers and try to steal it. haha)

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Do we even care if we vacate that season?  I'll be upset if we vacate the B1G title with Yogi and Thomas, but 0708 seemed to think we were good there. 

I'm not worried as much about vacating wins (especially from that season) as I am about sanctions going forward.

Archived