Khristian Lander Commits to Indiana

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By all accounts Lander is a good student and I believe Reitz and the staff would do all that they can to help him finish high school if that's what he wants.   I stated in a much earlier post that the only obstacle I could foresee would be a particular teacher who just didn't care for Lander or what he was trying to do.  I'm in no way painting the teaching profession with this brush, but we all know this kind of stuff can and does happen.  

9 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

By all accounts Lander is a good student and I believe Reitz and the staff would do all that they can to help him finish high school if that's what he wants.   I stated in a much earlier post that the only obstacle I could foresee would be a particular teacher who just didn't care for Lander or what he was trying to do.  I'm in no way painting the teaching profession with this brush, but we all know this kind of stuff can and does happen.  

i have taught for 25 years and i hear ya saying that you aren't trying to paint the teaching profession that way, but... the times i've heard allegations of things like this are either completely false with the kid and parent looking to blame someone or really really earned by the kid.  meaning the kid does absolutely nothing in the class and/or causes behavior problems consistently.  i have never heard of a random teacher just deciding they don't like a random kid for no reason and decide to "fail them."  never heard of a legit case of that.  i remember a long time ago when people on here actually argued that the Lyle kid had a bad rep for basically no reason after he had gotten into fights, etc.    

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i have taught for 25 years and i hear ya saying that you aren't trying to paint the teaching profession that way, but... the times i've heard allegations of things like this are either completely false with the kid and parent looking to blame someone or really really earned by the kid.  meaning the kid does absolutely nothing in the class and/or causes behavior problems consistently.  i have never heard of a random teacher just deciding they don't like a random kid for no reason and decide to "fail them."  never heard of a legit case of that.  i remember a long time ago when people on here actually argued that the Lyle kid had a bad rep for basically no reason after he had gotten into fights, etc.    

I would say your are 100% right about just failing a kid for no reason etc. That said...failing a kid for no reason and refusing to help a kid and trying to work with special circumstances is too different things. I have seen a couple teachers not adjust their schedule or tests etc for athletics....on several occassions. Even seen some refusing to delay test schedule for kids traveling to tournaments etc because they despised the emphasis of athletics etc. I don't think it is the norm...nor do I think it is the same as out right failing or holding someone back out of hate or spite but I've seen those not actively try to go out of their way to be helpful. That is to say nothing about what might happen with Khristian's situation.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I would say your are 100% right about just failing a kid for no reason etc. That said...failing a kid for no reason and refusing to help a kid and trying to work with special circumstances is too different things. I have seen a couple teachers not adjust their schedule or tests etc for athletics....on several occassions. Even seen some refusing to delay test schedule for kids traveling to tournaments etc because they despised the emphasis of athletics etc. I don't think it is the norm...nor do I think it is the same as out right failing or holding someone back out of hate or spite but I've seen those not actively try to go out of their way to be helpful. That is to say nothing about what might happen with Khristian's situation.

now i love bball more than just about anything and have been coaching for 25 years, but when you say delay a test...i would never delay a test because a kid had a travel tournament for a non-school team.  now, if he missed the test would i let him make it up?  absolutely.  is that what you mean?

36 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

As a lawyer I’ve been involved in investigations of teachers, including racism-related. There are an abundance of well minded teachers, they go into the profession to teach - to help kids. But there are also petty little men out there who enjoy having power over kids, racists, and generally little jackasses who screw kids over. Don’t kid yourself, I’ve seen it firsthand 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

As a lawyer I’ve been involved in investigations of teachers, including racism-related. There are an abundance of well minded teachers, they go into the profession to teach - to help kids. But there are also petty little men out there who enjoy having power over kids, racists, and generally little jackasses who screw kids over. Don’t kid yourself, I’ve seen it firsthand 

hmm.  okay.  i can't argue what you've seen.  i personally have never seen that or heard of it from anywhere near people who i know personally.  that's from Indiana to Arizona to North Carolina.  

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

now i love bball more than just about anything and have been coaching for 25 years, but when you say delay a test...i would never delay a test because a kid had a travel tournament for a non-school team.  now, if he missed the test would i let him make it up?  absolutely.  is that what you mean?

Meaning test was on Friday for the class but athletes were traveling (school team). They moved up the test as opposed to delay the test til they get back. Coach wanted to get a kid out of study hall to watch a game tape. Request denied. Coach wanted to have a walk through and asked to have the kid leave class early last period etc. Most teachers said no problem..a couple wouldn't even when they didn't have tests or important lessons. Kid needed to retake a class for eligibility and was denied late entrance. I had a music teacher that had athletes playing on the same night as a concert that made up 25% of their grade. Made no exception. Had a teacher asked to teach a couple kids summer school while they were already teaching another class in summer school and they refused two kids so they lost eligibility.  Not saying in ANY of the circumstances the teachers SHOULD make an exception or is WRONG for not trying to help...just saying some are not flexible...especially when it comes to assisting the athletics department. Some detest it. Again not saying their class should revolve around it etc..some look for ways to be helpful...others look for every opportunity to not. Just because there are a few doesn't mean in general all teachers are that way. Just as easily can say some coaches and administrators can be difficult. All I am saying is hopefully everyone at the school is on the same page to help the young man meet his goal. It could just as easily be administration hold it up forcing the kid to stay another year to play HS ball for them. God forbid we say anything negative at all about a teachers....and in this case I'm not even saying there are bad or wrong...just sometimes inflexible.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Meaning test was on Friday for the class but athletes were traveling (school team). They moved up the test as opposed to delay the test til they get back. Coach wanted to get a kid out of study hall to watch a game tape. Request denied. Coach wanted to have a walk through and asked to have the kid leave class early last period etc. Most teachers said no problem..a couple wouldn't even when they didn't have tests or important lessons. Kid needed to retake a class for eligibility and was denied late entrance. I had a music teacher that had athletes playing on the same night as a concert that made up 25% of their grade. Made no exception. Had a teacher asked to teach a couple kids summer school while they were already teaching another class in summer school and they refused two kids so they lost eligibility.  Not saying in ANY of the circumstances the teachers SHOULD make an exception or is WRONG for not trying to help...just saying some are not flexible...especially when it comes to assisting the athletics department. Some detest it. Again not saying their class should revolve around it etc..some look for ways to be helpful...others look for every opportunity to not. Just because there are a few doesn't mean in general all teachers are that way. Just as easily can say some coaches and administrators can be difficult. All I am saying is hopefully everyone at the school is on the same page to help the young man meet his goal. It could just as easily be administration hold it up forcing the kid to stay another year to play HS ball for them. God forbid we say anything negative at all about a teachers....and in this case I'm not even saying there are bad or wrong...just sometimes inflexible.

As another teacher of 25 years I have found that it is really easy to criticize based on what one sees on the surface.  But there are often (not always!) underlying circumstances that one doesn't know about.  But I think we're going off on a tangent here.  I agree that I hope everyone at Reitz is on board, but that also means being connected with IU and making sure the credits he is earning match what the university requires for admission.  My guess is that he will be fine.

19 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hmm.  okay.  i can't argue what you've seen.  i personally have never seen that or heard of it from anywhere near people who i know personally.  that's from Indiana to Arizona to North Carolina.  

Hey I agree. I think it is pretty small and pretty rare the type of discrimination hoopster is talking about..and thank god you haven't seen it and it isn't more systematic. That said I'm sure it happens. Happens at all levels in society and just about all professions unfortunately.

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

As another teacher of 25 years I have found that it is really easy to criticize based on what one sees on the surface.  But there are often (not always!) underlying circumstances that one doesn't know about.  But I think we're going off on a tangent here.  I agree that I hope everyone at Reitz is on board, but that also means being connected with IU and making sure the credits he is earning match what the university requires for admission.  My guess is that he will be fine.

Agreed! He needs to earn them just like anyone else and I think most schools look for ways to help kids its in their best interest especially when he could end up a famous Alumni someday. It all started as just hey..the kid and the school will have to work together to get this done...and especially now given the circumstances with virus etc. Just saying sometimes teachers, admin, and student aren't always on the same page and working together.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Personally, I think it will be an issue and difficult to overcome.  But I can't say with any certainty that I understand how it all works either these days.  

It's actually going to be easier, honestly. Especially after reading the article and hearing what he has left. Assuming Reitz is on semesters.. KL has like 8 or 9 classes remaining. Probably 6 or 7 of those he was already half way done, another 2 he's doing online, and one I'm sure is Weights. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

hmm again... "God forbid we say anything negative at all about a teachers" ...okay.  you're welcome to criticize teachers all you want, but it's very very common to do that.  we feel very frequently disrespected and under appreciated by society.  we get paid peanuts and are expected to fix all kids problems.  trust me, we are very used to having negative things said about us.  but it is your right.  

Having spent 16 years in the classroom and over 20 coaching I can say this there is always a student side of the story, a teachers side of the story and somewhere in between reality. As a whole teachers are no longer given the respect or support that is needed and they are the first line when it comes to getting the blame put on them. Almost all teachers I have worked with are hard working professionals that go above and beyond to help as many kids as possible. Just like all professions you have Great ones good ones and some not worth a darn. If i were to paint with broad strokes I would say most are good people that are in it for the love of helping kids achieve more than the kid even knows possible. If a teacher is treating a student a certain way (not judging) maybe the student has something to do with it.  I think there have been plenty of people saying lots of negative about teachers unfortunately

As a coach I held my kids to a higher standard and would be ticked if just because he was a great athlete he received anything above what other students were to receive. I would fight for my players that I thought were being treated unfairly just as hard.  @Dgambill I usually agree with most of what you say and have a great deal of respect for you but the statement about God forbid we say anything negative at all about a teachers.  IMO in uncalled for because trust me plenty of people everyday get a way with saying all kinds of negative things about the people that spend more time with their kids than their own parents do. 

Article in our E'ville  paper this morning states that Lander will "most likely" reclassify for 2020. Landers dad states that KL had an opportunity to get his classes done  and get a head start. They are anxious for him to start to work with the nutrition and strength coach. Lander has a 3.8 gpa and he was able to add economics and English class, allowing him to graduate early.

The main thing is, with the coronavirus situation, when will he graduate? June? Who knows?

Link to the article:

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/2020/03/19/reitzs-5-star-recruit-khristian-lander-announces-reclassify/2874973001/

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Having spent 16 years in the classroom and over 20 coaching I can say this there is always a student side of the story, a teachers side of the story and somewhere in between reality. As a whole teachers are no longer given the respect or support that is needed and they are the first line when it comes to getting the blame put on them. Almost all teachers I have worked with are hard working professionals that go above and beyond to help as many kids as possible. Just like all professions you have Great ones good ones and some not worth a darn. If i were to paint with broad strokes I would say most are good people that are in it for the love of helping kids achieve more than the kid even knows possible. If a teacher is treating a student a certain way (not judging) maybe the student has something to do with it.  I think there have been plenty of people saying lots of negative about teachers unfortunately

As a coach I held my kids to a higher standard and would be ticked if just because he was a great athlete he received anything above what other students were to receive. I would fight for my players that I thought were being treated unfairly just as hard.  @Dgambill I usually agree with most of what you say and have a great deal of respect for you but the statement about God forbid we say anything negative at all about a teachers.  IMO in uncalled for because trust me plenty of people everyday get a way with saying all kinds of negative things about the people that spend more time with their kids than their own parents do. 

Hey I get it. I worked 12 years in health care before now working 9 years in the financial industry. Two industries that get painted evil ALL the TIME. Have law enforcement in my family etc etc. Criticism comes with ANY job. I have two siblings that are teachers and my mother in law was a teacher. Trust me I have all the sympathy in the world for good hard working teachers and most of the time my criticism is with the system more than an individual. That said the level of kid glove care we have to have with teachers when it comes to criticism is truly remarkable. Just your example of how quickly someone pulls we spend more time with your kids then you do goes to prove how sensitive the subject is and quite frankly to me....well proves my point. Again...love teachers just like I can say I love my country and love those that serve and protect but that doesn't mean they are above criticism..and nor did you say they weren't. And of course nothing is personal with me. I very much value your posts and input as anyone else on the forum...well almost everyone lol!

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hey I get it. I worked 12 years in health care before now working 9 years in the financial industry. Two industries that get painted evil ALL the TIME. Have law enforcement in my family etc etc. Criticism comes with ANY job. I have two siblings that are teachers and my mother in law was a teacher. Trust me I have all the sympathy in the world for good hard working teachers and most of the time my criticism is with the system more than an individual. That said the level of kid glove care we have to have with teachers when it comes to criticism is truly remarkable. Just your example of how quickly someone pulls we spend more time with your kids then you do goes to prove how sensitive the subject is and quite frankly to me....well proves my point. Again...love teachers just like I can say I love my country and love those that serve and protect but that doesn't mean they are above criticism..and nor did you say they weren't. And of course nothing is personal with me. I very much value your posts and input as anyone else on the forum...well almost everyone lol!

clearly must be a lot different where you live.  i do not see this at all:  That said the level of kid glove care we have to have with teachers when it comes to criticism is truly remarkable. quite the opposite here.  

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

clearly must be a lot different where you live.  i do not see this at all:  That said the level of kid glove care we have to have with teachers when it comes to criticism is truly remarkable. quite the opposite here.  

Not here to start a fire. Thankfully on here I can voice my opinion and people don't break out the pitch forks and torches. I will tell you. You say something about a teacher on facebook or other places etc….it's like the whole UNION comes down on you lol. Heck I hear enough of it with my mother in law. Luckily my wife has to face the worst of it when her mom and all her teacher friends get together and will attack a gazelle like a pack of lionesses lol. Many times she comes back from dinner with them and says she will never go out again until I calm her down. It's all good...I knew I was throwing a rock at a hornets nest with that one because we have a lot of teachers/coaches on this board but I couldn't resist lol. Thank you for the hard work you do with our youth.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not here to start a fire. Thankfully on here I can voice my opinion and people don't break out the pitch forks and torches. I will tell you. You say something about a teacher on facebook or other places etc….it's like the whole UNION comes down on you lol. Heck I hear enough of it with my mother in law. Luckily my wife has to face the worst of it when her mom and all her teacher friends get together and will attack a gazelle like a pack of lionesses lol. Many times she comes back from dinner with them and says she will never go out again until I calm her down. It's all good...I knew I was throwing a rock at a hornets nest with that one because we have a lot of teachers/coaches on this board but I couldn't resist lol. Thank you for the hard work you do with our youth.

what i take out of this is that i am teaching in the wrong area!  people here give us absolutely no respect and no one sticks up for us.  i have never heard of people coming after people for being negative about teachers.  we don't have unions here so maybe that's it?  again, you're welcome to your opinion, but i assure you we are repeatedly beaten down in my area.  it's okay though.  i like what i do and feel like i do a lot of good for students.  

5 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

what i take out of this is that i am teaching in the wrong area!  people here give us absolutely no respect and no one sticks up for us.  i have never heard of people coming after people for being negative about teachers.  we don't have unions here so maybe that's it?  again, you're welcome to your opinion, but i assure you we are repeatedly beaten down in my area.  it's okay though.  i like what i do and feel like i do a lot of good for students.  

Sorry to hear that! There are plenty of good ones out there! Just like good bankers, good doctors/nurses, good cops, even some good lawyers lol. Funny how opinions differ due to ones experiences. Again I thank you for your hard work. I don't want to take a shot at anyone that puts there sweat and tears into doing a good job. I'll too try to remember that it isn't the same across the board. Like I said...here I took aim and was not shamed off the board for having an opinion. Bless HSN!! Best board around!

33 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

You're very much appreciated(taken for granted for sure though).  You actually helped my son make it through high school.  :)  And for that we are forever grateful.  My apologies for never saying that.

Go Warriors and Hoosiers!!!

25 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

You're very much appreciated(taken for granted for sure though).  You actually helped my son make it through high school.  :)  And for that we are forever grateful.  My apologies for never saying that.

Go Warriors and Hoosiers!!!

well, sir, that made my day.  thank you very much!

Archived