2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

Antonio to Raiders. Only cost them 3rd and 5th round picks. I struggled on him quite a bit. I ended up in the camp of I could overlook his attitude for what he produces on Sunday. We'll see what the Raiders do with him. Steelers will have $21M of dead money on the books for this year.  Interesting time in AFC North. Ben aging. They lost their 2 best players in Bell and Brown. Browns improving and Ravens solid. Steelers could find themselves hanging out with Bengals for the next few years.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Antonio to Raiders. Only cost them 3rd and 5th round picks. I struggled on him quite a bit. I ended up in the camp of I could overlook his attitude for what he produces on Sunday. We'll see what the Raiders do with him. Steelers will have $21M of dead money on the books for this year.  Interesting time in AFC North. Ben aging. They lost their 2 best players in Bell and Brown. Browns improving and Ravens solid. Steelers could find themselves hanging out with Bengals for the next few years.

I still have no idea what Gruden is doing.

11 minutes ago, rico said:

I still have no idea what Gruden is doing.

Does seem weird/flawed logic to trade away your good established players (Mack, Cooper) for draft picks only to turn around the following year and trade draft picks for good established players (Brown).

Gruden and Mayock need to figure out if Carr is their guy. They have 3 first round picks and 6 in top 100. They have a chance to get things right but need to hit on all picks this year...similar to what Ballard did. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Does seem weird/flawed logic to trade away your good established players (Mack, Cooper) for draft picks only to turn around the following year and trade draft picks for good established players (Brown).

Gruden and Mayock need to figure out if Carr is their guy. They have 3 first round picks and 6 in top 100. They have a chance to get things right but need to hit on all picks this year...similar to what Ballard did. 

There is a big part of me that thinks Gruden may turn out to be one of the biggest coaching mistakes in NFL history.

Gruden essentially flipped Cooper/3rd pick/5th pick/ for a 1st rd pick and a top 5 WR.  I truly think Cooper needed a change of scenery for him to get better and to reach his potential(he's currently doing that in Dallas).  Brown comes with a lot of drama(too much for my liking).  Not sure who won this trade, my guess is Steelers.  They can now return to a more 50/50 pass/run type style offense with JuJu and Conner. 

The legal tampering period for Free Agency starts today at 12pm eastern.  Get your popcorn ready! :snack:

If Ballard spends big, it'll be on one free agent, the rest of the signings will be similar to last offseason IMO which will be tier 2 players.  My top 3 position wants in FA would be:

Pass Rusher - Preston Smith or Trey Flowers(pass rusher is biggest weakness for this team then WR IMO).

WR - Adam Humphries or John Brown then draft a WR with one of the top 3 picks. 

SS - Jahleel Addae or Adrian Amos

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Gruden essentially flipped Cooper/3rd pick/5th pick/ for a 1st rd pick and a top 5 WR.  I truly think Cooper needed a change of scenery for him to get better and to reach his potential(he's currently doing that in Dallas).  Brown comes with a lot of drama(too much for my liking).  Not sure who won this trade, my guess is Steelers.  They can now return to a more 50/50 pass/run type style offense with JuJu and Conner. 

The legal tampering period for Free Agency starts today at 12pm eastern.  Get your popcorn ready! :snack:

If Ballard spends big, it'll be on one free agent, the rest of the signings will be similar to last offseason IMO which will be tier 2 players.  My top 3 position wants in FA would be:

Pass Rusher - Preston Smith or Trey Flowers(pass rusher is biggest weakness for this team then WR IMO).

WR - Adam Humphries or John Brown then draft a WR with one of the top 3 picks. 

SS - Jahleel Addae or Adrian Amos

I think Ballard goes with "depth" guys in FA as opposed to the big names. I think you'll see some mid level DB's signed. I am very curious about Landon Collins. He's been to the Pro Bowl multiple times, supposedly a good locker guy, young, etc..... Yet the Giants didn't tag him. Makes you wonder. I think if they let Geathers walk, Collins fits in very well. 

2 minutes ago, ephul said:

I think Ballard goes with "depth" guys in FA as opposed to the big names. I think you'll see some mid level DB's signed. I am very curious about Landon Collins. He's been to the Pro Bowl multiple times, supposedly a good locker guy, young, etc..... Yet the Giants didn't tag him. Makes you wonder. I think if they let Geathers walk, Collins fits in very well. 

Yes sir, he loves the depth guys.  It just makes too much sense for the Colts to not snag up Collins and pair him with Hooker.  I know with the Giants, at the time they chose not to tag Collins, was  due to like 4 or 5 other players already having committed more yearly money then what the franchise tag value would have been.   

27 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Yes sir, he loves the depth guys.  It just makes too much sense for the Colts to not snag up Collins and pair him with Hooker.  I know with the Giants, at the time they chose not to tag Collins, was  due to like 4 or 5 other players already having committed more yearly money then what the franchise tag value would have been.   

Still though, 25 or 26 years old, multiple Pro Bowls, etc. I find room for him... Seems odd. However, I agree, it just makes so much sense for the Colts.

4 minutes ago, ephul said:

Still though, 25 or 26 years old, multiple Pro Bowls, etc. I find room for him... Seems odd. However, I agree, it just makes so much sense for the Colts.

Colts have $100M+ to spend. I would be surprised if Ballard doesn't get Collins or Justin Houston or both. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Colts have $100M+ to spend. I would be surprised if Ballard doesn't get Collins or Justin Houston or both. 

The more I have read into Ballard's comments in regards to pass rushers, he will probably pass on the higher end guys and go for a depth signing at that position.  He has reiterated multiple times that pass rushers are expensive for a reason and the best way to get them are through the draft.  So I could see them drafting a pass rusher with one of their first two picks.  So my guess for the first two FA signings will be Landon Collins and Adam Humphries.  Collins is too good to pass up here and Humphries would thrive in this offense style out of the slot, just like Ebron thrives in this offense.  I would be fine with this WR group for the upcoming season:

WR 1 - Hilton

WR 2(Slot) - Humphries(Sign in Free Agency)

WR 3 - Inman(resign)

WR 4 - Deion Cain(Colts are very high on this kid, he will be the starter opposite of TY either by the end of 2019 or starting the 2020 season.  He will be the #1 WR on this team in a few years

WR 5 - Draft a WR with one of the two drafts picks we have in the 2nd rd/Marcus Johnson/Zach pascal/Reece Fountain

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Ballard isn't one to unwisely spend money.... Collins would be logical, but I think with Houston's age, Ballard will avoid... Unless it's a short deal with a lot of guaranteed money. 

I see the "mid-tier" group as the most active with the Colts.

Just now, ephul said:

Ballard isn't one to unwisely spend money.... Collins would be logical, but I think with Houston's age, Ballard will avoid... Unless it's a short deal with a lot of guaranteed money. 

I see the "mid-tier" group as the most active with the Colts.

Agree....and doing these moves is the most anti-Ballard approach possible. With that said the Colts have $100M to spend. The fans are fine with passing on Bell/Brown but there will be some pressure to start spending some of that $. 

The following are entering a "contract" year for the Colts are Castanzo/Jack Doyle/Eric Ebron/Jabaal Sheard.  During the 2020-2021 season TY Hilton and Ryan Kelly will be entering contract years.  During the 2021-2022 season Andrew Luck, Malik Hooker and others from the 2018 draft class will be entering a contract year. 

Def great to have all this money, but like the Colts are doing they are approaching with a specific price in mind moving forward for free agents.  Some of this money they have(I hope) will be used to extend the likes of Castanzo/Doyle/Ebron. 

Landon Collins just got a 6 yr deal at $84 mil from............................The Redskins lol

Trey Flowers just signed a 5 year deal at $17-$18 mil per year from...........................The Lions lol

These deals are insane my goodness. No way Ballard would give that offer to either of those players

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Landon Collins just got a 6 yr deal at $84 mil from............................The Redskins lol

Trey Flowers just signed a 5 year deal at $17-$18 mil per year from...........................The Lions lol

These deals are insane my goodness. No way Ballard would give that offer to either of those players

Insane is being kind.......

8 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Snyder and the Redskins have always been known to overspend.

Don't know if the Flowers deal is fair value or not. Good pass rushers are worth a lot of $$$. It does make sense that the Lions would sign him though, as he played under Patrician until last year.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Snyder and the Redskins have always been known to overspend.

Don't know if the Flowers deal is fair value or not. Good pass rushers are worth a lot of $$$. It does make sense that the Lions would sign him though, as he played under Patrician until last year.

Very true.  Pass Rushers will get paid, made total sense for Flowers to follow Patricia to Detroit.  That and the QB position you either over pay for or get lucky and draft one and retain them. 

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Just saw the numbers and spit out my coffee. No way in the world would I commit those numbers at Safety. 

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

So much for my list for the Colts

Archived