2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

Colts also tendered offers(I believe each  player gets a 1 year offer at $2.5 mil) to the following:

Chester Rogers(depth signing, Funchess will be WR2, Cain will be WR3 and Rogers will be there for WR3/WR4.

Matthies Farley(Quality backup safety that can spot start)

Luke Rhodes(Long snapper)

Evan Boehm(versatile backup C/G)

so they filled 4 viable spots after the Funchess signing for a total of $8 mil.  After adding Funchess at $10 mil, Colts have around $85 mil left or so

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem with Funchess move. Big receiver who will benefit from a more accurate quarterback. Only a 1 year deal too. In other news. My Bears freed up an additional $11M in cap space this morning. Maybe positioning themselves to make an offer to a RB? $ usually wins which is why I still think Jets for Bell...but certainly an interesting move.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No problem with Funchess move. Big receiver who will benefit from a more accurate quarterback. Only a 1 year deal too. In other news. My Bears freed up an additional $11M in cap space this morning. Maybe positioning themselves to make an offer to a RB? $ usually wins which is why I still think Jets for Bell...but certainly an interesting move.

Bears did sign a RB yesterday Mike Davis

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Bears did sign a RB yesterday Mike Davis

Yep. He's 3rd option to replace Bennie Cunningham likely. Freeing up this much cap space suggests going hard after 1 of 3 guys. Bell, Odell or Earl Thomas. Not saying it will happen but it doesn't make any sense to free up that space unless a move is getting ready to be made. 

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. He's 3rd option to replace Bennie Cunningham likely. Freeing up this much cap space suggests going hard after 1 of 3 guys. Bell, Odell or Earl Thomas. Not saying it will happen but it doesn't make any sense to free up that space unless a move is getting ready to be made. 

Could be a smokescreen too. Bears needed extra cap room. Maybe they want to have enough $ to bring in Tevin Coleman and try and find another WR in a few days as prices come down. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw someone say that Bell is suppose to visit the Colts today

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Could be a smokescreen too. Bears needed extra cap room. Maybe they want to have enough $ to bring in Tevin Coleman and try and find another WR in a few days as prices come down. 

I thought I saw somewhere, where the Eagles were interested in Tevin?

Guess Orlosky did not know what he was talking about because now it is being reported that the Colts are not pursuing Bell.  It is said it is down to the Ravens and Jets for Bell.  I know Ballard does not like to make a splash in free agency but I actually thought he would do some major singings this year with all the cap space.  It looks like the Jets and Packers are going all in this year and that is surprising to see the Packers spending this much on free agents.

It just seems like all of my professional teams I follow never make a huge splash in the Pacers and Colts.  The Reds did make a little splash this year but nothing for the long term.  It just seems like those teams are just good enough to be good most years but will have problems winning championships.  Especially the Pacers where they never got bad enough to get great draft picks so when they are picking in the middle of the draft they will never get great.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Guess Orlosky did not know what he was talking about because now it is being reported that the Colts are not pursuing Bell.  It is said it is down to the Ravens and Jets for Bell.  I know Ballard does not like to make a splash in free agency but I actually thought he would do some major singings this year with all the cap space.  It looks like the Jets and Packers are going all in this year and that is surprising to see the Packers spending this much on free agents.

It just seems like all of my professional teams I follow never make a huge splash in the Pacers and Colts.  The Reds did make a little splash this year but nothing for the long term.  It just seems like those teams are just good enough to be good most years but will have problems winning championships.  Especially the Pacers where they never got bad enough to get great draft picks so when they are picking in the middle of the draft they will never get great.

From where I sit, the Colts are just fine at the RB position.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not just talking aobut Bell but I really thought they would go out and get one of the better defensive players like Mosley or Collins or Flowers.

Colts to my understanding and info I have dug up, they were in on Mosley and Collins and high on their list.  They offered an "X" amount of money(I do not know what they offered) however it was less money in the guaranteed department I believe, Mosley and Collins chose the money(guaranteed).  Flowers I do not think the Colts were seriously onto although I did see Colts were interested however with the amount of money they have to spend, they have been linked to just about anyone.

Colts need to address the following positions in this order(IMO): Starting SS, DE/DL depth,Starting OLB(opposite of Leonard), CB depth, OL depth.  I think they have a chance to land a good Pass Rusher, DL, WR, SS and/or CB with their first three picks in the draft. 

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

Colts to my understanding and info I have dug up, they were in on Mosley and Collins and high on their list.  They offered an "X" amount of money(I do not know what they offered) however it was less money in the guaranteed department I believe, Mosley and Collins chose the money(guaranteed).  Flowers I do not think the Colts were seriously onto. 

Colts need to address the following positions  in this order(IMO): Starting SS, DE/DL depth,Starting OLB(opposite of Leonard), CB depth, OL depth.  I think they have a chance to land a good Pass Rusher, DL, WR, SS and/or CB with their first three picks in the draft. 

Problem is that is rare to see a WR and pass rusher have immediate success their rookie year.  If I ran an organization I would use free agency to fill needs and use the draft to pick the best player available. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Problem is that is rare to see a WR and pass rusher have immediate success their rookie year.  If I ran an organization I would use free agency to fill needs and use the draft to pick the best player available. 

Very true.  I think its easier to get a very very good WR via FA, but the best way to get a very good pass rusher is through the draft and develop. Best case scenario here with the Funchess signing from the WR view:

- Funchess plays well, earns a contract extension next offseason and Deion Cain emerges as everyone thought he would prior to his injury, that is a mean WR group of Hilton/Funchess/Cain and we draft a WR with one of our top 3 picks to develop this season and he steps in as the WR4 for the 2020-2021 season.

- Funchess underperforms, does not return after this season.  Cain produces like everyone within the organization thought he would and slides in as the WR2, sign a vet WR to compete as the WR3 and use the WR drafted during this years draft to be your WR4, maybe even your WR3. 

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Very true.  I think its easier to get a very very good WR via FA, but the best way to get a very good pass rusher is through the draft and develop. Best case scenario here with the Funchess signing from the WR view:

- Funchess plays well, earns a contract extension next offseason and Deion Cain emerges as everyone thought he would prior to his injury, that is a mean WR group of Hilton/Funchess/Cain and we draft a WR with one of our top 3 picks to develop this season and he steps in as the WR4 for the 2020-2021 season.

- Funchess underperforms, does not return after this season.  Cain produces like everyone within the organization thought he would and slides in as the WR2, sign a vet WR to compete as the WR3 and use the WR drafted during this years draft to be your WR4, maybe even your WR3. 

Hopefully that Fountain who was a 5th round pick last year could develop into a good WR as well.  Just like in 2012 where I thought it set the organization back by going 11-5 in Luck's first year.  To me if we could had a top 5-7 draft pick that year we could have built the roster better.  I just hope that going 10-6 last year won't hinder our growth because a top 10 pick in each round this year could help especially how Ballard drafted last year.  Like when we went 3-13 in Payton's first year that enable us to have a top 5 pick in each round and got us Edgerin James.

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Odell to Browns? All of a sudden Baker, Odell, Landry, Njoku, Chubb and Kareem Hunt when he gets back? Pretty juicy little lineup there. Eli has to be asking himself did I really want to come back for this?

Go Brownies!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, rico said:

I honestly believe the organization has turned the corner.  

Isn't Dorsey's first rodeo. Made the Packers one of the better drafting teams for years and had similar results in KC (with Ballard tied at the hip). Only complaint I can find on Dorsey (which I don't think is that big of a deal) is that he lacks a bit in the communication department. For a franchise like Cleveland who has been needing one voice for decades I see it as a positive. 

Games are never won on paper but kudos to Browns. On a side note some are asking why Colts aren't doing more. I think they eventually will but Ballard isn't going to spend $ just to spend it. For all we know he might just give the excess salary cap $ to the 4-5 starters he drafted last year. 

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Isn't Dorsey's first rodeo. Made the Packers one of the better drafting teams for years and had similar results in KC (with Ballard tied at the hip). Only complaint I can find on Dorsey (which I don't think is that big of a deal) is that he lacks a bit in the communication department. For a franchise like Cleveland who has been needing one voice for decades I see it as a positive. 

Games are never won on paper but kudos to Browns. On a side note some are asking why Colts aren't doing more. I think they eventually will but Ballard isn't going to spend $ just to spend it. For all we know he might just give the excess salary cap $ to the 4-5 starters he drafted last year. 

Would like to see the Colts spend some of their cap money to re-sign Desir. Not a big fan of the Funchess signing. Would have rather they go after Tyrell Williams. And, as much as I like Marlon Mack, would love to see Tevin Coleman come back to Indiana to play.

22 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Would like to see the Colts spend some of their cap money to re-sign Desir. Not a big fan of the Funchess signing. Would have rather they go after Tyrell Williams. And, as much as I like Marlon Mack, would love to see Tevin Coleman come back to Indiana to play.

Colts need to at the very minimum need to sign these positions within the next few days of free agency CB, DL and a SS.  I agree with Desir, he would start again.  Need to kick the tires on a remaining pass rushers and/or interior defensive lineman that can start or play lots of snaps like Denico Autry.  Here are a few guys that I would like out of each position for them to either sign or resign below.  I think you could get one guy from each of the positions below at/around $8-$10 mill per year.  So pick 3 for example, that comes to around $28 mil or so.  We have around $83 mil left so we would be in the ball park of $55 mil remaining to move forward with in the draft and extending our own in house for the future.

Interior DL - Timmy Jernigan/Corey Liuget/Vinny Curry/ Bennie Logan/Al Woods/Malcom Brown

DE/Pass Rushers - Ansah/Alex Okafor/Dion Jordan/Benson Mayowa/Lamar Houston

CB - Pierre Desir/Darqueze Dennard/Jason Verrett/Ronald Darby/Bashaud Breeland

SS - Jahleel Addae/Clinton-Dix/Jimmie Ward/Tre Boston/Adrian Phillips/Clayton Geathers

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Here's my thing though on spending. Mack/Hines gave them 1200+ rushing yards last year....or just 80 rushing yards than Barkley and I'm not counting Wilkins. Would I like Coleman in a Colts uniform or even Bears? Sure....but the production is there with what you have. Back to the spending vs drafting though. Ballard drafted 2 All Pro's and what appears another 3 starters last year. Not saying he'll hit those numbers again but in one draft/coaching hire the franchise changed on a dime. Maybe he's feeling good enough with the great number of picks they have again to do again? Percentages say he won't but who knows?

I have no doubt the Colts will spend but Ballard's approach so far is pretty spot on. 

Edit-Colts have 3 of top 59. Barring a complete miss....you have at least 2 starters there. 4 of top 89. 9 overall. I expect and want Colts to spend....but not just for the sake of spending. Has to make sense is all I'm saying. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's my thing though on spending. Mack/Hines gave them 1200+ rushing yards last year....or just 80 rushing yards than Barkley and I'm not counting Wilkins. Would I like Coleman in a Colts uniform or even Bears? Sure....but the production is there with what you have. Back to the spending vs drafting though. Ballard drafted 2 All Pro's and what appears another 3 starters last year. Not saying he'll hit those numbers again but in one draft/coaching hire the franchise changed on a dime. Maybe he's feeling good enough with the great number of picks they have again to do again? Percentages say he won't but who knows?

I have no doubt the Colts will spend but Ballard's approach so far is pretty spot on. 

I said it earlier, the Colts don't need a RB.  The ones they got did pretty dang good within the system last year.  That being said, I trust whatever Ballard's decisions are.

Archived