NFL Talk

rico

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like many of us. Been watching football my entire life. Never saw that before in a playoff game. Unreal series of events. And regarding other game....I would suggest Tomlin and his staff spend a little less time talking about Patriots and a little more time focusing on task at hand next year. Steelers staff was seriously outclassed, outcoached...

On 1/14/2018 at 8:58 AM, StLHoosier said:

I think at this point McDaniels is the guy for the Colts.  He’s been a HC before (unlike Vrable), and he could be OC if no one appealing is left after we are allowed to make the hire (when Pats lose or win SB).  If he is the guy, he must be sold on Luck returning for next season.  If he is the guy, it will be interesting to see what assistants he’s able to get since there’s been a lot of people take jobs already.

Not necessarily with regards to Luck. McDaniels may be higher on Brissett than any other QB at a different job. I am not going to be shocked if we trade Luck for a ton of assets and move forward with Brissett. 

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not necessarily with regards to Luck. McDaniels may be higher on Brissett than any other QB at a different job. I am not going to be shocked if we trade Luck for a ton of assets and move forward with Brissett. 

I think at this point, Luck's value is the lowest it will ever be, so I don't see the team moving him.  I understand the frustration with him not being on the field, but you just don't go trading away players of that caliber, especially when they play the QB position. 

4 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I think at this point, Luck's value is the lowest it will ever be, so I don't see the team moving him.  I understand the frustration with him not being on the field, but you just don't go trading away players of that caliber, especially when they play the QB position. 

The Dallas Cowboys built a dynasty trading away a player of Luck's caliber. Walker wasn't a QB, but the point remains. 

Given the four teams that made the Conference Finals, is it time to discuss rather or not having an elite QB has been over valued?

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The Dallas Cowboys built a dynasty trading away a player of Luck's caliber. Walker wasn't a QB, but the point remains. 

Given the four teams that made the Conference Finals, is it time to discuss rather or not having an elite QB has been over valued?

Yep the Cowboys sure as hell did.

But that second sentence is intrigues me.  The way I see it Minnesota got a miracle and Pittsburgh made piss poor decisions.  But I see what you are saying.  One franchise QB is left. 

Luck at this point is damaged goods.  But time will tell.  Jacoby very well might be the one on the trade block.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Yep the Cowboys sure as hell did.

But that second sentence is intrigues me.  The way I see it Minnesota got a miracle and Pittsburgh made piss poor decisions.  But I see what you are saying.  One franchise QB is left. 

Luck at this point is damaged goods.  But time will tell.  Jacoby very well might be the one on the trade block.

One of them almost has to be on the block. Why not ship Luck to Cleveland and get a bunch of their picks?

Jacoby is ahead of where many second year QBs who end up really good step, IMO. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

One of them almost has to be on the block. Why not ship Luck to Cleveland and get a bunch of their picks?

Jacoby is ahead of where many second year QBs who end up really good step, IMO. 

I agree with that first sentence to be honest.  If you can get the "Cowboy" haul.

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But the thing is, is that the Cowboys still had Aikman.  I'm not saying that you need an All-Pro QB to make the Super Bowl, as many teams have made it without one, but the chances of making it to the SB with one is a lot greater than without one.  I hate to say it, but the Patriots look primed to win yet another SB.  No matter who they face, you have to like Brady over the other defense's.  Also, Brees should be in the conference finals.  I'm not sure what the safety was thinking on that last play.  If he tackles the guy, the game is over and you have two future HoF's in the conference finals, poised to face each other in the SB.

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

But the thing is, is that the Cowboys still had Aikman.  I'm not saying that you need an All-Pro QB to make the Super Bowl, as many teams have made it without one, but the chances of making it to the SB with one is a lot greater than without one.  I hate to say it, but the Patriots look primed to win yet another SB.  No matter who they face, you have to like Brady over the other defense's.  Also, Brees should be in the conference finals.  I'm not sure what the safety was thinking on that last play.  If he tackles the guy, the game is over and you have two future HoF's in the conference finals, poised to face each other in the SB.

It looked to me like the safety wanted to make sure he tackled him in bounds and he missed the tackle. If he came in conservatively, he likely misses the tackle. 

I think we get so hung up on having an elite QB because of what Brady has done, but is the Pats success more about Brady or Bill? Other elite QBs don't have his level of success in the post season. I personally am a believer that the Pats greatness is improved upon by Brady, not caused by Brady. Building a well rounded team that plays great situational football is the key to success IMO. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

It looked to me like the safety wanted to make sure he tackled him in bounds and he missed the tackle. If he came in conservatively, he likely misses the tackle. 

I think we get so hung up on having an elite QB because of what Brady has done, but is the Pats success more about Brady or Bill? Other elite QBs don't have his level of success in the post season. I personally am a believer that the Pats greatness is improved upon by Brady, not caused by Brady. Building a well rounded team that plays great situational football is the key to success IMO

I completely agree with this statement.  I just don't think they would have the success they've had without him.  I'm not sure what the right balance is, but I would rather have an elite QB than not have one.  Hopefully we can find that balance with Luck, but if Ballard thinks moving him is in the best interest of the team, then I will trust him.  I think Ballard is going to be a really good GM for us.

3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I completely agree with this statement.  I just don't think they would have the success they've had without him.  I'm not sure what the right balance is, but I would rather have an elite QB than not have one.  Hopefully we can find that balance with Luck, but if Ballard thinks moving him is in the best interest of the team, then I will trust him.  I think Ballard is going to be a really good GM for us.

I agree 100% on Ballard. 

Just catching up on recent talk. If healthy....you never even consider trading Luck. I'll agree with the Bill Polian's of the world. Franchise QB is the most important position on field. Never even consider trading one.  You just don't.

However with JB I think his trade value is high right now given the success of Case Keenum (backup turned starter). Trade him and either take Chubb at 3 or hold that pick for a kings ransom for whoever wants to move up. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just catching up on recent talk. If healthy....you never even consider trading Luck. I'll agree with the Bill Polian's of the world. Franchise QB is the most important position on field. Never even consider trading one.  You just don't.

However with JB I think his trade value is high right now given the success of Case Keenum (backup turned starter). Trade him and either take Chubb at 3 or hold that pick for a kings ransom for whoever wants to move up. 

The only thing about JB's trade value is how many QB's out there are going to be FA's?  I saw that all three of the Viking QB's are.  That puts Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater on the market right off the get go.  

5 minutes ago, rico said:

The only thing about JB's trade value is how many QB's out there are going to be FA's?  I saw that all three of the Viking QB's are.  That puts Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater on the market right off the get go.  

Tough one because you figure at least 1 of those is gone if not two. Salary cap alone doesn't allow. My assumption is Shurmur takes Keenum to Arizona if he goes there. But would Minnesota let Keenum go? 

I think JB has a 2nd round pick trade value. If not a 2 at least a couple 3 or 4's. Obviously the draft and free agency will impact but I see qb questions at Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Broncos, not to mention teams like Chargers, Bengals, Saints, Redskins, Steelers have to at least start planning for future because their qb's are getting old or might retire within next 1-2 seasons. Makes at least 10 teams that should be considering qb moves this off season. JB value should be there imo. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tough one because you figure at least 1 of those is gone if not two. Salary cap alone doesn't allow. My assumption is Shurmur takes Keenum to Arizona if he goes there. But would Minnesota let Keenum go? 

I think JB has a 2nd round pick trade value. If not a 2 at least a couple 3 or 4's. Obviously the draft and free agency will impact but I see qb questions at Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Broncos, not to mention teams like Chargers, Bengals, Saints, Redskins, Steelers have to at least start planning for future because their qb's are getting old or might retire within next 1-2 seasons. Makes at least 10 teams that should be considering qb moves this off season. JB value should be there imo. 

Fair enough.....but one question.  Are you taking into account the QB class that is in this draft?

Archived