Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think I disagree with you here.  In both the short and long-term, it doesn’t make much sense to me to center the offense around Phinisee instead of Romeo just because Phinisee will be here for 4 years and Romeo is a one-and-done.  

In the short-term, I love what Phinisee has brought, but he needs to be our third option on offense at best.  Romeo’s averaged 18 ppg basically sitting in the corner and making plays for himself when the ball happens to come his way.  The last two games especially, it’s seemed like he’s had a great first half, and then the team has essentially forgotten about him in the second half.  With his size and passing ability, he could be so much more effective with the ball in his hands... Running the PnR with him and Juwan at the top of the key would be absolutely deadly. 

And in the long-term, whoever this Frankie Valley guy is mentioned this as well... Elite 5 star recruits aren’t going to want to play in an offense where they aren’t given the ability to showcase their skills.  How many recruits that we’re after have said that one of the main things they’re looking at is how Archie uses Romeo this season?  And before IU Scott responds talking about “the team is more important than the individual,” note that I think the team would be better off with the ball in Romeo’s hands more as well.

I don't disagree with you at all, and I didn't mean to say the offense should be centered around Phinisee, just that he is a heck of a distributor and this will be "his team" for the next few years. Also, Langford is one of the best finishers in the country. But like I said, after the first game I thought we'd see Langford much more in a play-makers situation, with the ball at the top of the key, like you said. I'm pretty surprised it hasn't happened. 

After the first game, especially with Green struggling so much that game and Durham not really being a point guard, I'd really like to see Langford as the backup point guard. What I mean by that is when you bring Green in (when he's healthy) you do it at the 2 and you have Langford play the 1 when Phinisee isn't on the court. Maybe not against a team like Arkansas, but against teams that play half-court defense I think it makes sense because while he's not the best ball-handler, Langford is a good play-maker. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And in the long-term, whoever this Frankie Valley guy is mentioned this as well...

I love it.  Frankie Valley guy, instead of Frankie Vision.  Kind of like Frankie Valli singing   Oh what a KNIGHT       LOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Romeo should have the ball in his hands to end every game. He’s IU’s best player. It’s not close. If a game is going down to the wire, Romeo should have the ball in his hands. Win or lose with your best player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Romeo should have the ball in his hands to end every game. He’s IU’s best player. It’s not close. If a game is going down to the wire, Romeo should have the ball in his hands. Win or lose with your best player

I disagree because the ball needs to be in Morgan's hand at the end of the game for him t make the smart decision.  He showed what he could do the possession before when he hit the open man for the tying 3.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Is there anything new on Hunters condition? 

Scanning the web, I see the following comments:

Rabjohns says Hunter is expected to be fine long-term.

hereditary according to insiders

it was a problem with his leg that was non basketball related.

“It’s not a typical leg injury that is an injury caused by practicing or something,” Miller said last week. “It’s more of an underlying effect that’s causing him some pain. When we get all the answers, he’ll be evaluated and decided on.”

 

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that would be a welcome change from all the news we keep getting.  I know you can't confirm, coach, but Jerome's issue sure does appear the be blood clot(s) in his leg.  Everything I see points that way...leg pain, heredity, condition vs. injury, long term post-surgical outlook...

Jerome can take blood thinners to keep the issue in check going forward and I'm guessing someone in his family is already on blood thinners from the sound of things.  The only real concern I have if it's blood clots is that if he gets cut on the court, it's gong to be a bloody mess if he's on thinners,  Like Romeo the other night, if Jerome gets cut while taking blood thinners, he probably won't come back into the game.

All speculation, of course, but it very much fits the puzzle pieces together according to my limited medical knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 2:51 PM, FW_Hoosier said:

I think I disagree with you here.  In both the short and long-term, it doesn’t make much sense to me to center the offense around Phinisee instead of Romeo just because Phinisee will be here for 4 years and Romeo is a one-and-done.  

In the short-term, I love what Phinisee has brought, but he needs to be our third option on offense at best.  Romeo’s averaged 18 ppg basically sitting in the corner and making plays for himself when the ball happens to come his way.  The last two games especially, it’s seemed like he’s had a great first half, and then the team has essentially forgotten about him in the second half.  With his size and passing ability, he could be so much more effective with the ball in his hands... Running the PnR with him and Juwan at the top of the key would be absolutely deadly. 

And in the long-term, whoever this Frankie Valley guy is mentioned this as well... Elite 5 star recruits aren’t going to want to play in an offense where they aren’t given the ability to showcase their skills.  How many recruits that we’re after have said that one of the main things they’re looking at is how Archie uses Romeo this season?  And before IU Scott responds talking about “the team is more important than the individual,” note that I think the team would be better off with the ball in Romeo’s hands more as well.

My god

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I Just Dropped In Too See What Conditon, Jerome's "Condition" Was In

And it appears that he is improving from his condition.

All your prayers seem to be working. 

Damn you!! I thought that was a link to an interview etc about his recovery lol....you got me!!

Side not glad to hear that his diagnosis is good and excited to see him back on the court. Too bad it won't be for Duke but should ramp up his playing time for the conference. We need him especially with Romeo having to play the 3 and leaving only Al and Robert at the guard spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, IU Scott said:

I disagree because the ball needs to be in Morgan's hand at the end of the game for him t make the smart decision.  He showed what he could do the possession before when he hit the open man for the tying 3.

I agree the best case scenario is to have Morgan in a favorable matchup....but I don't see anything wrong with playing through Romeo....or letting him handle the ball in that scenario with the option to take his man or get it to Juwan. Even a two man game pick n roll between the two makes sense. I love Robert and fully believe he is capable of finishing that play the other night but I really would rather win or lose in the either of our two superstars hands...with Al, Fitz, and Robert spotting up for a kick out if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Well that would be a welcome change from all the news we keep getting.  I know you can't confirm, coach, but Jerome's issue sure does appear the be blood clot(s) in his leg.  Everything I see points that way...leg pain, heredity, condition vs. injury, long term post-surgical outlook...

Jerome can take blood thinners to keep the issue in check going forward and I'm guessing someone in his family is already on blood thinners from the sound of things.  The only real concern I have if it's blood clots is that if he gets cut on the court, it's gong to be a bloody mess if he's on thinners,  Like Romeo the other night, if Jerome gets cut while taking blood thinners, he probably won't come back into the game.

All speculation, of course, but it very much fits the puzzle pieces together according to my limited medical knowledge.

What worries me is that it could be a heart condition.  But I ain't a Dr. either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rico said:

What worries me is that it could be a heart condition.  But I ain't a Dr. either.

Well it can definitely become a heart condition very quickly.  My cousin fell over dead unexpectedly at age 54.  His legs had been hurting a lot the night before and while he was not autopsied to my knowledge, the common medical opinion was that he had a blood clot in his legs break loose and go to his heart killing him pretty much instantly.  He was a truck driver and it's not uncommon for someone in his line of work to develop blood clots due to long hours of immobility on the road.  If it is a blood clot, it likely manifested as a blood clot and Jerome was lucky that it was diagnosed before it broke loose and killed him.

Again...all speculation on my part but it sure fits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach confirmed.  Jerome is back on campus. But did not appear for the UC-Davis game.  Was just not feeling well. 

We're still praying for you Jerome.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Well it can definitely become a heart condition very quickly.  My cousin fell over dead unexpectedly at age 54.  His legs had been hurting a lot the night before and while he was not autopsied to my knowledge, the common medical opinion was that he had a blood clot in his legs break loose and go to his heart killing him pretty much instantly.  He was a truck driver and it's not uncommon for someone in his line of work to develop blood clots due to long hours of immobility on the road.  If it is a blood clot, it likely manifested as a blood clot and Jerome was lucky that it was diagnosed before it broke loose and killed him.

Again...all speculation on my part but it sure fits.

I think we are all speculating here.  But I am gonna take a different take.  If your heart ain't working right, it affects your extremities.  Lack of blood flow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rico said:

I think we are all speculating here.  But I am gonna take a different take.  If your heart ain't working right, it affects your extremities.  Lack of blood flow.

I'm looking at the report of severe leg pain.  That sounds just like my cousin.  Also, I seriously doubt they did heart surgery and expected him back at school the next week.  Not saying you're wrong, but IMO, based on the rumors out there, I think it's much less likely a heart issue.

Edited by FKIM01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm looking at the report of severe leg pain.  That sounds just like my cousin.  Also, I seriously doubt they did heart surgery and expect him back at school next week.  Not saying you're wrong, but IMO, based on the rumors out there, I think it's much less likely a heart issue.

Understood....the heredity thing is what I am looking at.  I just wish the kid well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Probably shouldn't put this here but it is about injury...Darius Garland is out indefinitely with a knee injury 

Who is this Darius fellow😉 I never heard of him! My poor joke aside hope nothing serious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×