Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

17 hours ago, BGleas said:

Hope you don't mind if I chime in?

I'm usually pretty definitive in projecting how I think guys will do in the NBA, but Langford has been a tough one for me all year. Don't get me wrong, if I'm drafting I'm taking Langford over Yogi every time and he'll almost certainly have a better NBA career than Yogi. With that said, I'm still really mixed on exactly how good I think Langford will be at the next level. 

Obviously he's an elite finisher at the rim and has a solid mid-range game, but NBA teams don't really shoot from the mid-range anymore and he will have an adjustment finishing among bigger/stronger NBA players, but that's minimal concern because he'll adjust to the size and he'll fill-out and develop his body over the years. His handles are also really suspect, he almost has no left hand whatsoever. And then there's the perimeter shooting. I'm not sure how he'll adjust to the three-point line being further away after already struggling mightily at the college line. Again, I'm sure he'll adjust to that, but how long will it take. 

With all that said, the kid can score and while he'll be going against better defenders, I'm curious to see how the better spacing in the NBA allows him to thrive. While the defenders are quicker and stronger, it's much easier to get into isolation situations due to the defensive 3-second rule which should really help his game. 

Bottom line is that I'm not sure if he's All-Star caliber or more like maybe Harrison Barnes like. Barnes is a good NBA player no doubt, but remember coming out of high school he was getting hyped up big time. People were expecting him to be an all-star level player. I think he was the first freshmen to be names preseason All-American. 

Romeo's future NBA success level is hard to project for sure. It's going to be fun, and interesting, to watch his next-level development -- and of course, the team that picks him and who he plays with is going to play a part.

Yes, he does not have a strong outside game right now -- but his 3-point shooting has been improving over the course of the season, he's already showing growth in his outside game, and he clearly has good shot form and an efficient shot from the mid-range. With the emphasis on outside shot development in today's NBA, I would bet on his continued outside shot growth to an at least respectable level. The kid can shoot, it's about range.

Remember our discussions over the years about Vic at the next level. His outside game, which didn't progress until his junior year, and which you continued to see as mediocre, has clearly continued to grow, he's a very respectable outside shooter -- and closer -- now, and of course it also made a tremendous difference for him to get him in the right team situation. Not the Magic, not the Thunder, but the Pacers with the current team makeup became the perfect fit for his game. Romeo in the right situation will have the opportunity to shine. I'd bet on him doing so.

Finishing with the new rules of the NBA will, imo, make it much, much easier for him. He won't get swarmed and pushed and grabbed, he'll have so much more room to work with. I would take him, without hesitation, in the lottery for my NBA team. He is so smooth, and despite all the attention he's still the B1G's 6th leading scorer.

Romeo might be more a DeRozan, but DeRozan developed without the League's serious focus on three-point shooting. If he'd come into the League now, as a rookie, his game would be different. 

But I'm not meaning to post disagreement, what type of player Romeo will become, now just a frosh with much of his game still to develop, remains to be seen. Considering how well he has carried the tremendous burden that was placed on him the moment he committed to IU -- and I think that should be factored in in assessing his game, not many young men can carry that kind of burden and deal well with the kind of huge defensive focus he's received -- I tend to think he'll do well at the next level.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I'm just an alum, not particularly "close". I have no idea what happened. They played a really, really good half of defense against NW then came out in the 2nd half and allowed 49 points to a terrible offense that hadn't been able to score much more than that in an entire game. Part of it is just that style of defense, I'm not a fan of it especially in the Big Ten where most teams tend to take care of the ball pretty well. This kind of sums it up:

Always appreciate good discussion and input from fans like you from other teams. Thanks for posting.

21 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I'm just an alum, not particularly "close". I have no idea what happened. They played a really, really good half of defense against NW then came out in the 2nd half and allowed 49 points to a terrible offense that hadn't been able to score much more than that in an entire game. Part of it is just that style of defense, I'm not a fan of it especially in the Big Ten where most teams tend to take care of the ball pretty well. This kind of sums it up:

Sounds like it's high risk/high reward and if you don't get rattled against it, it's beatable.  It's active enough to have me concerned and I actually predicted a loss.  Will be interesting to see how it develops, but I feel a lot better knowing Phinisee should be running the point another three years at IU. The kid has really exceeded my expectations. 

Thanks for the feedback...

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Sounds like it's high risk/high reward and if you don't get rattled against it, it's beatable.  It's active enough to have me concerned and I actually predicted a loss.  Will be interesting to see how it develops, but I feel a lot better knowing Phinisee should be running the point another three years at IU. The kid has really exceeded my expectations. 

Thanks for the feedback...

One of the things IU did very well against the trapping/help defense that Illinois likes to deploy..... is that IU kept the ball center court. Not allowing themselves to get trapped in the corners, or along the side lines. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Romeo's future NBA success level is hard to project for sure. It's going to be fun, and interesting, to watch his next-level development -- and of course, the team that picks him and who he plays with is going to play a part.

Yes, he does not have a strong outside game right now -- but his 3-point shooting has been improving over the course of the season, he's already showing growth in his outside game, and he clearly has good shot form and an efficient shot from the mid-range. With the emphasis on outside shot development in today's NBA, I would bet on his continued outside shot growth to an at least respectable level. The kid can shoot, it's about range.

Remember our discussions over the years about Vic at the next level. His outside game, which didn't progress until his junior year, and which you continued to see as mediocre, has clearly continued to grow, he's a very respectable outside shooter -- and closer -- now, and of course it also made a tremendous difference for him to get him in the right team situation. Not the Magic, not the Thunder, but the Pacers with the current team makeup became the perfect fit for his game. Romeo in the right situation will have the opportunity to shine. I'd bet on him doing so.

Finishing with the new rules of the NBA will, imo, make it much, much easier for him. He won't get swarmed and pushed and grabbed, he'll have so much more room to work with. I would take him, without hesitation, in the lottery for my NBA team. He is so smooth, and despite all the attention he's still the B1G's 6th leading scorer.

Romeo might be more a DeRozan, but DeRozan developed without the League's serious focus on three-point shooting. If he'd come into the League now, as a rookie, his game would be different. 

But I'm not meaning to post disagreement, what type of player Romeo will become, now just a frosh with much of his game still to develop, remains to be seen. Considering how well he has carried the tremendous burden that was placed on him the moment he committed to IU -- and I think that should be factored in in assessing his game, not many young men can carry that kind of burden and deal well with the kind of huge defensive focus he's received -- I tend to think he'll do well at the next level.

Good post.  Romeo’s skill set is outrageous.  His length, athletic ability and makeup suggest a very good ceiling as a two guard. He’s been an inconsistent jump shooter and that’s a mandatory aspect he needs to correct, along with the ability to explode to his left where he’s rather pedestrian right now.   If he doesn’t correct it, it will cap his potential at a lower level than anyone has anticipated.  

There are times where Romeo’s shooting form looks spectacular.  I think in the end, he will shoot just fine, with his length, quickness,  and driving ability.  

I have said this before, but if Romeo doesn’t develop a consistent jumper, it’s entirely plausible that Rob Phinisee can end up with s better career and more money in the long run.  You could argue that Rob’s comp is Mike Conley, Jr. and look at what a nice career he has had and how much money he’s made.  If Romeo doesn’t end up as a better shooter and Rob continues to develop, who knows. 

Theres really no weakness to Rob’s game, potentially.

Just now, The Daily Hoosier said:

Me too.  Lots of people calling me on that but no love for the MSU prediction!!!

Crazy world.

"You were right about something, meh"

Then there's "YOU WERE WRONG, OMG, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? WRONG!!"

Seriously though, I am very glad you share your write-ups with us.  Thank you.

9 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Crazy world.

"You were right about something, meh"

Then there's "YOU WERE WRONG, OMG, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? WRONG!!"

Seriously though, I am very glad you share your write-ups with us.  Thank you.

Hoosierfan wasn't trying to be mean about it, but man you are right -- people sure are more inclined to call you out for being wrong than right.  

4 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Hoosierfan wasn't trying to be mean about it, but man you are right -- people sure are more inclined to call you out for being wrong than right.  

TDH, you have wrong before?  Hmmm, I never noticed!!!!!  I too enjoy your pieces very much.  Just keep on keeping on.

5 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

No worries! Happens to all of us. We are all united in pulling for our team though!! And again, so thankful that you share your wealth of knowledge and articles with us. We are very blessed to have you!!

10 hours ago, rico said:

It is not UI, but I came across this and thought it would fit here.....

D1MKQ14WwAAiRL_.png:large

Hope that serves as a reminder. Completely train wrecks the two teams involved, and puts a damper on Depaul CP as well. I'm sure they don't mind being in the finals, but nobody likes advancing that way.

And to translate for all you native Hoosiers, Illinois sectional = Indiana regional.

2 hours ago, hoosierfan615 said:

No worries! Happens to all of us. We are all united in pulling for our team though!! And again, so thankful that you share your wealth of knowledge and articles with us. We are very blessed to have you!!

This forum is blessed to have a wealth of reasonable posters like you.  It is what makes it unique.

Archived